PPI's {Prilosec,Nexium etc} can mimic Benzo type withdrawal symptoms.

[st...]

I felt he need to start this thread for the "minority" of PPI users that may not realize their potential side effects. First of all here is a link to others who have described their experience and symptoms after taking drugs like Prilosec, Nexium, dexilant and others.

Prilosec..  http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=19810&name=PRILOSEC

Nexium..  http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21153&name=NEXIUM

Dexilant.. http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=22287&name=DEXILANT

Now keep in mind this post pertains to my experience with Prilosec and Zantac and Yes I do understand these drugs are lifesavers for many.  But my story was much different.

First let me say a little about myself, I am a strong 56 male construction worker my entire life..Worked in NYC for 20 years doing commercial construction. I have worked outside my whole live and loved it..cold winters hot summers..bring it on I love fresh air and hard work... I have no history of any anxiety or and mental health issue's. This is sooo far out of the realm of who I am I still can't believe it actually has happened.

Here's my compressed story and how I found out that it was actually my Prilosec that was magnifying my Clonazepam w/d . 

I herniated and disk in y next March 2017 and started taking Norco and NSAIDS for pain...I drank beer the whole time also. I had c5-c6 disk replaced in my nech May 28th 2017. After a few weeks of more pain meds my stomach finally said no more...

Doc prescribed me 40mg prilosec and 150 mg zantac before bed and as needed prior to meals until the prilosec kicked in.

Each day I got worse and worse until day 5 all hell broke lose..each night I feel deeper into some dark hole...intrusive thoughts..mind racing....being jolted awake...total freak out came night 5... was like a wild acid trip.

Went to doc that morning and she told me I was having panic attacks and she game me clonazepam to calm down. I had no idea what it was but it worked. {btw I never go to the doctor for anything first time I ever met this doctor}

Fast forward 3-4 weeks and I have slowly been losing reality and decide to stop taking the clonazepam and Prilosec... Thats when I found out i had been taking a Benzo... had nasty withdrawals and reinstated at 1/2 the dose.

So I found benzo buddies and quickly realized what was going on and started a rapid taper... and I stopped the Prilosec also and only took Zantac as needed... I was also down to just drinking 2 banana smotthies a day...was losing 4-5lbs per week now. 

Jumped off Benzo's on my birthday Aug 22nd at .09mg after water taper. ..was feeling better each day but then a bad one came...I headed to the doc and she gave me another script for Prilosec 40mg...I said I wanted a EGD to be certain is was in fact GERD...she said it's not necessary because my symptoms are text book GERD.  each day I took the Prilosec and zantac I got sicker and sicker... I went on my own and got an EGD and the Gastro doc said that my ENTIRE GASTRO system was in good shape...no gerd..no ulcer..no esophigitis...even my LES was working normal..he told me get off the Gut Meds... withing 24hrs my symptoms were already fading...with in 2 days I could eat...something I couldnt do for over 8 weeks... I went out to lunch yesterday with my daughter and wife had a burger and fries......I hadnt been able to shower just 2 weeks ago let alone chew and swallow food.... :sick:

So here I am... on the road to recovery from Benzo's and Prilosec... Now Im not saying everyone suffers for PPI symptoms like me...but if this post helps just one person to make the connection then thats all I am trying to do...  let me know If this helps anyone... I wish I had found a post like this before I had been given a ticket on the Benzo hell trian...  good luck everyone...Benzo Buddies Saved my life... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Day 6 off Prilosec... I think I am now entering the time frame were I may experience acid rebound...although I didnt have GERD my 8 day dose of 40mg did effect my acid production.  I am being very cautious not to encourage any unnecessary additional acid production... very bland smoothies...that can be easily broken down... 

Thank you for this Steve....I have been taking zantac quite reguraly for gasteo issues...and it probably has been exacerbating things too...I notice things aren't quite so bad if I can just rough it out with the reflux when it hits. This explains alot of stuff...my nerves are already messed up down there why make it worse if I can help it right? I really think more ppl need to hear this. Thanks again.

I was on 40 Omeprazole for over 3 months and had huge trouble stopping (initially). The acid rebound happened up to ten days after a drop but it also revved up other wd sxs.  I researched and got some Carafate as one lady sapped over and then stopped both over 8 weeks.  No such luck with me.  Eventually I contacted a gastoenterologist who told me to taper at 10mg a week.  I was down to 130 weekly so it took another 3 months or so with me writing in the calendar daily and using 10mg tablets.  I used gaviscon tablets as needed and before bed sometimes but had no rebound acid as such and have been off them now over 2 months.  He said to only stay on them if I still had reflux and he would investigate the cause but I was all good even though my digestion and peristalsis is far from perfect which is one of my lingering sxs at 15 months out.  :thumbsup:

I was on 40 Omeprazole for over 3 months and had huge trouble stopping (initially). The acid rebound happened up to ten days after a drop but it also revved up other wd sxs.  I researched and got some Carafate as one lady sapped over and then stopped both over 8 weeks.  No such luck with me.  Eventually I contacted a gastoenterologist who told me to taper at 10mg a week.  I was down to 130 weekly so it took another 3 months or so with me writing in the calendar daily and using 10mg tablets.  I used gaviscon tablets as needed and before bed sometimes but had no rebound acid as such and have been off them now over 2 months.  He said to only stay on them if I still had reflux and he would investigate the cause but I was all good even though my digestion and peristalsis is far from perfect which is one of my lingering sxs at 15 months out.  :thumbsup:

Hi Kristina! Glad to hear you are off now for 2 months...what was your total time using omperazole including your 10mg taper?  Did you have any breathing issues during your Omeprazole use...I find at times I have to try and make myself yawn to catch a deep satisfying breath... this can go on for hours sometimes..it's the one thing that is really troubling me. 

I only took omeprazole this time for 8 days 40mg...each day it made me sicker and breathing more difficult... I have now been off it for 7days and I started getting rebound symptoms yesterday...today is the same...I picked up some Ginger Tea and gaviscon and natural ginger ale... from the info I have found this should be enough to get me thru since I only had a 8 day exposure...

Before I ever took benzos, I took Prilosec for a total of 6-7 wks which included my taper. I had bad acid reflux from prednisone which led to PPI. I felt awful on the PPI- couldn't eat, depressed, lost wt...and still felt acid! I was also on Zantac at the time. I read about PPIs and tapered myself from 40 to 20 to 10 to off. I only spent 2-3 days at each taper dose. Then I tapered off the Zantac over the next 3 wks or so. It all went fine w/o any rebound acid. As the PPI dose went down, I felt better immediately. But I came across one guy online who tapered off PPI over 8-9 mo.

If only I could taper the benzo so quickly...

Before I ever took benzos, I took Prilosec for a total of 6-7 wks which included my taper. I had bad acid reflux from prednisone which led to PPI. I felt awful on the PPI- couldn't eat, depressed, lost wt...and still felt acid! I was also on Zantac at the time. I read about PPIs and tapered myself from 40 to 20 to 10 to off. I only spent 2-3 days at each taper dose. Then I tapered off the Zantac over the next 3 wks or so. It all went fine w/o any rebound acid. As the PPI dose went down, I felt better immediately. But I came across one guy online who tapered off PPI over 8-9 mo.

Hi Libr.....Your are doing a great job!...You got off the PPI's and now working to be benzo free!. ;D  I always think about how many people's lives have been ruined from doctors with a passion to just write scripts ... They told me I needed Zoloft and that I was suffering from depression... all because my stomach bothered me after taking some steroids and pain killers after my surgery.  It scares me to think how close I was to become a zombie controlled by a doctors script pad...Benzo buddies saved my life!

I was on Omeprazole for 13 months altogether.  I started attempting to stop at 4 months then would give up.. I got down to 20mg/30mg on alternate days and at about 8 months spoke to the gastro and started formulating a strategy.  DGL tablets helped a little (bought off Amazon) and Inplayed with prescription Carafate which was good but couldn't be mixed with antacids so wasn't practicable.  I didn't have the oxygen hunger (although do get that but not particularly pertinent to the PPI but perhaps relating to whether my intestinevis full or evacuated mmmmm food for thought.  Good thread.....there are others too .. also search losec.

Hi Libr.....Your are doing a great job!...You got off the PPI's and now working to be benzo free!. ;D  I always think about how many people's lives have been ruined from doctors with a passion to just write scripts ... They told me I needed Zoloft and that I was suffering from depression... all because my stomach bothered me after taking some steroids and pain killers after my surgery.  It scares me to think how close I was to become a zombie controlled by a doctors script pad...Benzo buddies saved my life!

Thanks Steve. I've been told a few times I need Zoloft - for benzo w/d depression. Thankfully I never took it. I've been prescribed trazadone too- never took it. So crazy! Makes me so distrustful of doctors and medicine but there are times when it really is needed - just so hard to know when. Yes PPI made me short of breath too. Good thing you got off this benzo fast. Besides this forum, what website or source do you find reliable for figuring out medication side effects and problems and when a medicine really is the right thing to do for a particular condition?

Libr... I use "ask a patient"  To get an idea for actual users for side effects...But keep an open mind as with all internet sites it may be a bit biased to the negative since people do like to complain if something isnt perfect... as far

Thanks Steve. I've been told a few times I need Zoloft - for benzo w/d depression. Thankfully I never took it. I've been prescribed trazadone too- never took it. So crazy! Makes me so distrustful of doctors and medicine but there are times when it really is needed - just so hard to know when. Yes PPI made me short of breath too. Good thing you got off this benzo fast. Besides this forum, what website or source do you find reliable for figuring out medication side effects and problems and when a medicine really is the right thing to do for a particular condition?

Libr... I use "ask a patient"  http://www.askapatient.com/index.asp  To get an idea from actual users for side effects...But keep an open mind as with all internet sites it may be a bit biased to the negative since people do like to complain if something isnt perfect... as far correct medication...thats a tuff one..but you tube video's can be helpful...

Day 18 benzo free and day 8 Prilosec/zantac free.... well yesterday the acid rebound hit me...I knew it was coming so now the question is how long and how bad will it get...from what I have read, since I didnt have gerd after all I may be spared a 2-3 week long rebound effect....Im hoping it's just a few days....I had very poor sleep last night and my anxiety was back...stomach issue's just flat out suck! 

Day 14 off Prilosec and zantac... So my stomach was fine for about 7-8 days after stopping prilosec and xantac...many of my benzo type withdrawal symptoms decreased quickly... day 8-13 I had the typical acid rebound since the acid producing cells in y stomach were no longer being held back...I knew this was coming and had DGL, ginger tea, green tea, and Gaviscon to get me thru...I think the DGL was the best new tool for me..I took 2 tabs 20-30 mins before each meal and before bed...I really noticed the calm that came over my stomach...So today I had a much better day and stomach issues were the least they have been in months...I hope it's not a cruel fluke and hopefully tomorrow I feel even better...I also have to rememebr that each day my gaba receptors are upregulating throughout my entire body...including my digestive tract... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I found DGL really helpful too.  I wasn't successful coming off losec on the first few try's as I did it too quickly and had used it so long but DGL was a definite assistant!

Kristina, when you say taper at 10m per week what exactly do you mean?

I take 20mg of omeprazole per day so am on 140mg per week, should I go down to 130mg per week then 120 on onwards?

How do I reduce by 10mg per week if that is the case?

thanks for the reply

2trusting

Hi Trusting;  yes that's correct;  take 130mg the following week by dropping one day down to 10mg instead of 20.  You'll need to be prescribed the 10mg tablets.  I wrote daily in a calendar and at the end of each week.  Twice I 'held' for 2 weeks and I also used gaviscon tablets before bed, gave up coffee except in the mornings (advised by gastro to do this to give myself the 'best shot' at not getting reflux), and sometimes DGL.  While it was slowish it did work where my previous attempts did not so I'm still really really thrilled that I managed it after previous failed attempts!  Feel free to pm me.  I still have some bloating and still take a gaviscon occasionalky before bed.

Hi Trusting;  yes that's correct;  take 130mg the following week by dropping one day down to 10mg instead of 20.  You'll need to be prescribed the 10mg tablets.  I wrote daily in a calendar and at the end of each week.  Twice I 'held' for 2 weeks and I also used gaviscon tablets before bed, gave up coffee except in the mornings (advised by gastro to do this to give myself the 'best shot' at not getting reflux), and sometimes DGL.  While it was slowish it did work where my previous attempts did not so I'm still really really thrilled that I managed it after previous failed attempts!  Feel free to pm me.  I still have some bloating and still take a gaviscon occasionalky before bed.

Hi Kristina... So glad you were able to get off the omep... I had to beg my doc to script me the 10mg so I could taper since they are not avail otc....My rebound only lasted about 5 days and I just use tums and DGL....yes and still some manageable bloating and gas here and there but head fog and all the other nasty side effects are gone...

Thanks Kristina

I stupidly dropped by 25% for a week with some discomfort at the end of the week then dropped by another 25% but only lasted a few days before returning to 20mg per day. It only took a day or so to feel better.

You would have thought I would know better having spent 11 months tapering from benzos.

I did the drop by opening the capsules and counting the beads of medicine inside, I think I will do this again but drop by max 5% per week and see how it goes.

2trusting

@[Tr...]

@Steve.. baby steps.. I had to keep reminding myself that the process was non-linear.  My body behaved like a new born baby in that as soon as I thought I had something that worked it would backfire and not make any sense at all.  I read that it can take 2 years for the cns to reset itself but of course many are luckier to be sx free so much earlier;  not so with me but I think I am getting exponential healing now and am staring to trust the longer windows and not panic quite as much in the waves... nice thread thanks xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 

This discussion definitely has my interest.  I have been on 40mg of pantopropozole (sp.?) for 6 years. I changed to nexuim last fall.  About 2.5 months into my wd I dropped to 20 with no problems but I'm in a horrible wave right now at 4 months off and I'm not ready to tackle the last 20.

I went through hell with stress induced stomach issues last November and had tons of testing done at a big med center only to walk away with a "you don't have gerd, why are you taking ppis" diagnosis. Of course at that point I was on the klonopin and a mess.

My wave I think, came from cutting my beta blocker, another med I was put on unnecessarily (for migraines.). I'm a little gun shy right now.

Does anyone know if nexuim comes in 10mg? Or can you crossover ;) to omeprazole to come off?  Please keep this thread posted on your progress.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for thread . . . I C/T Prilosec one week ago. Didn't know it could cause so many w/d symptoms. If only I could do the K the same way .....

Pooh, what side affects are you getting from ct off Prilosec, I am slowly weening off of omeprazol and so far so good but an only down by about 20%

2trusting

Pooh, what side affects are you getting from ct off Prilosec, I am slowly weening off of omeprazol and so far so good but an only down by about 20%

2trusting

Hi 2trusting,

One good side effect is that I am NOT have daily diarrhea (70+ days, 3 to 7 times in morning). That's the main reason I C/T the Prilosec, thinking it was causing added on sxs by actually being on the stuff.

Another side effect is acid reflux now and then (I can deal with that); also burping, but no big deal there.

When I read (after the C/T of Prilosec) of the withdrawal symptoms of this OTC prescribed by doctor to use indefinitely, I thought: horror of horrors, similar to side effects of w/d K. so I figured, what the heck, already in pain and suffering from tapering K, what difference does it make????  And honestly, I can't tell which symptom is caused by w/d K or by C/T Prilosec. it really doesn't matter much now, I am trying to cleanse my body of these @#$% drugs.

I didn't ask dr. about the w/d Prilosec, did it on my own. I DO ask my PCP about my supplements I have been taking for years and years. Someone suggested having her check my hormones next blood draw. Going to do that. Prilosec pulls B12 from body; I am lacto vegetarian and need that B12 supplement so will ask PCP for a blood profile done on my vitamins and minerals, too, in my next month blood draw.

I know this may not help much, but the w/d sxs are so similar, I really can't tell the difference (yet); only been a week.

Good luck. PM me if you want to keep in touch.

Smiles (not tears today) and a bit of rain (not sunshine) from Central Florida, Pooh  :smitten:

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have any of you taken supplements such as enzymes, probiotics, etc., to help nourish the GI lining and replenish good gut bacteria, caused by PPI usage?

I ask because my local health foods nutritionist recommended a round of them for 1-2 months WHILE I continue taking my 40mg Nexium, then I'm to begin tapering off Nexium afterwards.

I found this podcast that helps explain a little about the importance of replenishing stomach enzymes BEFORE beginning the PPI taper.

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/digestthis/episodes/2016-02-29T21_19_15-08_00