carbs and steel cut oats

[Ro...]

Hi guys,

I am fighting a losing battle. EVERYTHING I eat (in terms of carbs) seems to rev me up. I tried potatoes, rice, pasta etc. I am about to try steel cut oats, and sweet potatoes again. But I now read that steel cut oats are high in glutemate and we should not be eating that. Does one single person have one single carb that is generally a go to carb that is safe to eat, low in glutemate, gluten free, and and and. Please. desperation is setting in here. Any carb suggestions would really help me. and also, how was everyone on oats? Fine? Not fine? I read that glutemate in foods actually slows healing becasue it doesnt allow the glutemate receptors to calm enough for balance and healing. Please guys.... Desperate. Also confusing is everyone says eat meat proteins, but they too are full of glutemate. so I am confused.

Natural glutamate is NOT your problem, the glutamate you need to worry about is in things like MSG, yeast extracts, etc...stuff that has been processed and added to foods. Real food in it's natural, unadulterated state is what you want to eat. I'll find a list of psuedonyms for added glutamates.

But it might be that you have a problem with grains, this is very common. In that case you would be best off with things like sweet potato. Meat and fats are your friends so don't skip on them.

Hidden names for MSG and free glutamic acid:

Names of ingredients that always contain processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Glutamic Acid (E 620)

Glutamate (E 620)

Monosodium Glutamate (E 621)

Monopotassium Glutamate (E 622)

Calcium Glutamate (E 623)

Monoammonium Glutamate (E 624)

Magnesium Glutamate (E 625)

Natrium Glutamate

Yeast Extract

Anything “hydrolyzed”

Any “hydrolyzed protein”

Calcium Caseinate

Sodium Caseinate

Yeast Food

Yeast Nutrient

Autolyzed Yeast

Gelatin

Textured Protein

Soy Protein

Soy Protein Concentrate

Soy Protein Isolate

Whey Protein

Whey Protein Concentrate

Whey Protein Isolate

Anything “…protein”

Vetsin

Ajinomoto

Names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid: (7)

Carrageenan (E 407)

Bouillon and broth

Stock

Any “flavors” or “flavoring”

Maltodextrin

Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)

Anything “ultra-pasteurized”

Barley malt

Pectin (E 440)

Protease

Anything “enzyme modified”

Anything containing “enzymes”

Malt extract

Soy sauce

Soy sauce extract

Anything “protein fortified”

Anything “fermented”

Seasonings

Thank you Meowie, once again. Went into a sudden window out of the blue just before dinner so ate some sweet potato, lamb, and. and egg whites. feel good so far, will wait and see. Will keep trying the sweet potato. Thank you very much, might still give a small portion of steel cut oats a shot this morning, very small, and see what happens. Thanks again, I really really appreciate the feedback....

I cannot find the reference,

but someone posted a very long winded scientific explanation of balancing glutemate and GABA function and how different foods particularly those with glutemate affect the process. it is interesting but it also makes one wonder what we can eat. it seems like if you were to follow the logic as per that post that you would have to jump through way too many hoops.

I cannot find the reference,

but someone posted a very long winded scientific explanation of balancing glutemate and GABA function and how different foods particularly those with glutemate affect the process. it is interesting but it also makes one wonder what we can eat. it seems like if you were to follow the logic as per that post that you would have to jump through way too many hoops.

Everyone has some type of scientific explanation. Don't believe the Bullshit. Listen to Meowie she is correct. Natural glutamate in foods is healthy and building block for neurotransmitters. Eat as much as you want. Stay away from synthetic additives in foods, also stay away from excess sugar and fried foods.

Thanks Guys,

you have no idea how much you are helping me. Meowie, when you say healthy fats are good, which could you recommend? olive oil? butter? please excuse my ignorance. And as one more side note (or rather long shot), I have recently been swirling my mouth out with salt water as I am nervous that I am getting candida on my tongue (heard that candida can cause w/d problems). I was wondering if anyone has had any issue with salt? would it be bad to swirl this in your mouth? it is additive free sea salt but who knows what they clean it with, or what that much salt does for withdrawal. might the salt swirling slow recovery or set me back or am I now just in full paranoia mode? Again guys, as crazy as I sound to you, you are making a world of difference to me. Thanks again.

all the best to all of you.

There's a lot of good info on here. thanks all. Thanks Meowie for the glutamate list!

I eat steel cut oats quite often. I never noticed it caused any issues. I just try to stay with healthy foods, though I do eat ice cream now and then.  >:D

Scooby99 has a good point. Just use your judgement. It is good to be well read, but decide for yourself what is best for you. Some days/weeks, I have to stop reading on here and just take a little break. It's always nice to come back. :smitten:

Rossho--a great treatment for possible thrush (mouth candida) is to swish extra-virgin coconut oil around in the mouth, then spit out, a couple of times per day is good.

Any natural fat is good. Butter, bacon fat, olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, cream etc...Just stay away from vegetable oils (which are incredibly processed!) such as cottonseed, soybean, sunflower, etc...Organic canola oil is iffy, but I try to stay away from it. I eat a LOT of fat, and I am not fat! (140 lbs).

A problem with candida is a sign that you are probably ingesting too many carbs, especially sugar. Try and cut back if you can.

Then again, nightengale has a good point. At some point you have to not worry so much and maybe quit reading!

• 1 month later...
Update on steel cut oats. I kept a food log of when I slept well and when I didn't. One thing was apparent, the mornings I ate steel cut oats, I didn't sleep well that night. Humm..a light came on concerning meowie's post.  Yesterday, a bad food day. I ate a tuna sandwich and had some potato chips. For dinner, I had some left over Chinese food, with soy sauce. Went to bed last night and could not go to sleep. Laid awake for hours. Finally around 3:30 am, I dozed off briefly. I needed to be up by 5:15 am to take my son and two of his friends to the airport. That could have caused some of the lack of ability to go to sleep for the most part, but then I thought back about the steel cut oats. Today I had a scrambled egg and diced red bell pepper in a little olive oil. I do noticed I typically sleep better after having the egg for breakfast. I'm keeping track.

• 8 months later...

It is very hard to buy anything that does not have glutamate or whatever the heck it is. I am stuck eating organic chicken, pork chops, sweet potato, white potato, oatmeal, and frozen veggies. Allergic to eggs, so that is out. If I cannot eat oatmeal or white potatoes I am screwed.

I am a diabetic so I have to have carbs to balance it out. Lord help us all!

I think the best person to ask could be a nutritionist. Its got me thinking now. Although upon reading something the gluten in oats is different to gluten in other products?? and that in steel cut oats its actually fine. failing that what about gluten free oats??

shania