Gabapentin

[mi...]

Hi

I'm seeing my doc today and going to ask him about Gabapentin to help with withdrawals.

Is there solid evidence that it does help? My psychiatrist who I no longer see said that it doesn't help and it's just the name that is similar (i.e. it doesn't act on the same GABA that benzos do)..

Help someone please..

Rory

It helped me with the initial withdrawal, but I wound up in mental hospital after 2 weeks anyway.

Overall, it seems to help some, but not others.

[70...]

I think it lessened my symptoms a bit.  For sure I slept a little better.  I only took 300 mg at bedtime, so a fairly low dose.  I also used it at times when I was taking klonopin (or later Ativan).  It helped my sleep then too.

Yes, it works differently than a benzo.  That's probably a good thing.

I take 600 mg. At bedtime and my psychiatrist added 100 mg. In the afternoon to help. I have taken the bedtime dose for years but recently added the afternoon dose. I think it helps me. Good luck to you

Gabapentin eased my symptoms in acute.  I took 1,600-2,400mg a day for the first two months I was off. Then I dropped to 900-1,800mg for months 4-5, then went to 800mg at night. 

I'm almost 9 months off and I am still taking that dose at night because my insomnia is really very bad still. 

I'd say thank you to Gabapentin if I could.  It was definitely helpful to me and was no problem cutting down the dose. I think it's a great tool to help you get further down the road to recovery and farther away from your last dose.