BENZO RAGE!

Tenseness, chest tightness, feeling like my eyeballs are going to fall out, better not check the bp it is probably sky high;I feel like my veins are going to explode out of my head; yelling at the kids( more like screaming),screaming at the wife, and the family the dog. Yep! I have been having BENZO RAGE! Anyone Else?  :tickedoff:

I have had it - and read of others having it - but don't anymore.  I even threw a dish against the wall which is totally unlike the "real" me.  "Are you doing any mediation exercises to lower your anxiety?  Or anything else that works for you? 

Hi Yoda

I have had it as well.  So embarressing once a window appears and I can see my behavior.  I try and apologize as soon as I can....Also I am fairly isolated and can not imagine caring for children...be gentle with them and yourself... My poor 5 chihuahuas scurry away and hide under the pillows from all my yelling when I get set off....  And I plan on taking my husband to some remote island somewhere and waiting on him and hand and foot for all he has endired this past year LOL

For now I take some deep breaths to relax, wrap myself in a blanket and sip tea when I get "there". 

Sorry to hear you are raging... 

Big Hug

Mimi

mimi

I am like you took valium for short time 4 weeks due to serious family medical issues. I knew this was going to happen that is why I begged for xanax shorter acting. I never thought 4 weeks on valium now I am having w/d trying to get off of it. now I am also itching so why am I itchiing after 4 weeks. NP friend says she thinks I am allergic seems llike itching would have but maybe now valium built up. so will call md tomorrow I told HIM I am weaning he ignores me tells me to take valium in and pm both

wow I wish we had a benzo md here. I even asked my pain md at pain clinic to help with benzo wean they told me to call psy md. yes started itching 4 hours after I took it today.

never thought 4 weeks and low dose 5mg would have ended up like this as you did? Vicky

Yes, this is totally uncharacteristic of me. I am extremely embarrassed about acting like this. I think I screamed up to my lungs. WOW! I almost never cursed in my life prior to wd. Well, now I curse like a sailor! My physical symptoms are feeling much better. I am working 2 jobs, trying to keep our house, 2 great kiddos that I am trying to keep on the straight and narrow, my wife is working 3 jobs because of benzo hell! I honestly thought I was going to have an heart attack because my rage level and tenseness!  Now since the rage has subsided I feel  saddened about how I acted. This would be very stressful for the "normal person" multiply it times 10 for the person coming off benzos. This indeed sux! I think this is the most depressing out of all the symptoms because this is not like me! I don't like hurting the people that I love!

Hi Yoda

I have gone through these 'Benzo rages' also. I didn't know what to call these before. 'Benzo rages' seems a perfect name to call them. I'll use this term from now on.

I've been getting Benzo rages for quite some time. At first, it they were rather subtle, as though I had become more assertive, or 'speaking my mind' when communicating with people. As my taper continued, I noticed that my emotions became much stronger, and yes, sometimes I've felt like throwing things against the wall. This is totally in contrast to my 'normal' personality. Unfortunately, my wife and 2 kids have born the brunt of my behavior. In fairness, to myself, I must say that these rages are always triggered by some kind of stressor, never just 'out of the blue'; kids acting wildly, etc.. Sometimes when I've yelled at my son, he looks at me and says, "dad, why are you taking so mean like that..." It breaks my heart. I always apologize when I loose my cool. These 'rages' never last very long. My way of handling them is to give myself a 'timeout'. I simply just spend some time by myself. Distraction also works. Listening to music I enjoy, taking a walk, reading, etc...

Yea, I hear y'all about the rage.  I think especially off benzos (yoda and Pan & Kev) there ain't no tiny  pill to mask our reactions or feelings to stress or aggravation.  We're no longer feeling like a walking numb zombie so its easy to get mad about even little things.  Fortunately, our kids tend to be forgiving and don't hold grudges like some of us adults might :pokey::laugh: so best thing is to apologize but not make too big a deal of it.  I was wrestling with my boy the other day and somehow it got a little rough and I realized I was playing too rough, needing to vent or get some frustrations out and it felt like it was maybe a bit of that benzo rage.  I had to take a few steps back and tell my boy I was sorry and he was very understanding.  Of course he knows nothing of the post benzo withdrawal.  Anyhoo, just thought I'd get a few comments in.

Best,

V (no more)

I hope these finally go away! I agree that these benzos numb our emotions. After we have totally tapered our bodies go in type of shock. Our brain doesn't know how to deal with stress, fear, sadness, and anger. This takes time. I think giving oursleves timeouts are real good! I need one right now! LOL! All this stress benzo wd puts on us, it would seem like this would damage our bodies. As far as benzo rage I think learning to control pur adrenaline is the key. What symptoms do u all have prior to benzo rage?

• 2 years later...

late, but adrenaline is the revved up feeling, right?\

Also, I wonder if the rage is suppressed anger we have had over our lives.  Now is the chance to feel it and heal it.  Right?

your not alone.  I've been know to scream and throw things.  And like you its completely out of character.  Alot of the times I can feel rage but do nothing about it.  Some of it is due to being house bound and getting cabin fever.