Start anti-depressants or not???

[Su...]

I'm currently 6 weeks post just and unable to see through this absolute despair. I have had bouts of depression before benzodiazepines but this feels different. I feels like extreme grief, like all my loved one had been horribly killed, and I can't snap out of it. I actually called up my mother to make sure she was ok the other day because I had such a strong feeling something terrible had happened (she was fine). I'm completely in two minds about starting anti-depressants, I hate feeling like this but I absolutely loathe the idea of more psych drugs, I want to be naturally healthy, I don't want more damn pills. I know it should be a decision between me and my doctor, but I don't entirely trust doctors know. Anyone have experiences with them in Benzodiazepine withdrawals and were they helpful or not??

I know how you feel I suffered from minor depression b4 going on clonazepam for panic attacks that started in 2014. then started having more problems poor sleep sometimes going 5 days with no sleep. was put on lexapro and ambien. depression increasing after taking a nerve conductor test and finding out i have neuropathy in my toes of my left foot

• 2 weeks later...
I tried an antidepressant 2 or 3 months after quitting benzos. I only took one pill of zoloft, one time. It caused a major increase in depression and all the other symptoms of withdrawal for over a week. I took zoloft in the past before benzos and it did NOT do that to me, it was a completely different experience. I can't tell you what to do as everyone is different but in my experience it's best to avoid all psych meds until the brain has healed from the benzo damage. I've also read some articles that suggest it's best to avoid antidepressants, sleep meds, antipsychotics and mood stabilizers during withdrawal/recovery. Much empathy to you. I know how hard it is to wait for healing to happen.

Sunshine I'm so glad you posted this.  As you may have read I too am suffering with depression.  Never had depression like this before.  I'm going back and forth about taking an AD, but don't want to-but want to get rid of this depression. 

Thanks everyone for their answers and opinions.  I am going to try and stay off of them. 

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone is at the point of feeling suicidal, then I would say try whatever it takes to keep you alive. It's either life or death. At that point, just do what you got to do in order to get through...

Hi Sunshine.  I am sorry you are in such a bad way right now.  Many BBs suffer this debilitating depression so please know you are in educated company.  Some of us had depression before this journey and some get it during withdrawal.......

I am on Wellbutrin for 17 years and kept on it during my Valium withdrawal.  Now at 11 months jumped, I am still not happy and my anxiety needs to be addressed as my quality of life and relationships are suffering.

I thought I wanted to get off the Wellbutrin but my doc seriously encouraged me to stay on something as I have major depressive disorder.  Glad I didn't try to quit that drug.  If I would have done that a few months back, I think I may have had to be hospitalized now.  :(  Actually I am looking to add Lexapro to lift my serotonin (feel good hormone) and control the anxiety.  I was of the thought that I'd be pill free too but at this juncture the quality of life and perhaps potentially experiencing a major depression event makes me think I have to do what I have to do.

Be well.

Please use your best judgement after running your posts on the board.  Quite truthfully everyone needs to do what they feel they must to get back to something "normal" and enjoy life.

Hey there! I'm sorry that you are dealing with depression. It's the absolute worst part of this whole process. I've tried several AD and each one didn't agree with me. Now that I'm pregnant and my depression and certain physical symptoms have gotten worse with the hormones, I figured I'd give it another try. I tried lexapro, gave me horrible heart palpultations. Zoloft made my depression worse and I feel high for six hours after I took it. I realized my depression is what it is and if I've dealt with it this long, I can continue. I know I'll be way less depressed once I get to hold my baby. Hang in there, the depression does improve with time. Unfortunately it occurs very slowly.

Hi.

If you really feel you have no other choices then takes the AD but start very low, the type of dose that would make your dr laugh. I tried sertraline in severe withdrawal at a normal dose and it sent me into a spiral. Try 2mg of Prozac or equivalent and see how you feel if it's no worse go up to 5 after a few days. If it helps stay on it a few months then reassess. Just be aware ssri withdrawal for some sensitive people is just as bad as benzo withdrawal. Iv done both and found ssri much worse and ongoing, everyone is different though and if it helps the hell of severe depression then it's a benefit to you as severe depression sucks the very soul out of you. Good luck

I gave in on Wednesday and reinstated my old AD Prozac because the depression and anxiety are far too big for me to deal with, and I can handle a lot. So there is no shame in trying, and thus far, mine hasn't gotten any worse. If anything it has stayed the same. We have to hold on. I feel like even though I know I have a choice in life or death, I still don't know what the outcome will be and that makes me sad. We've got to hold on. Everyone says it gets better. We just have to try and believe it, as impossible as it sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently 6 weeks post just and unable to see through this absolute despair. I have had bouts of depression before benzodiazepines but this feels different. I feels like extreme grief, like all my loved one had been horribly killed, and I can't snap out of it. I actually called up my mother to make sure she was ok the other day because I had such a strong feeling something terrible had happened (she was fine). I'm completely in two minds about starting anti-depressants, I hate feeling like this but I absolutely loathe the idea of more psych drugs, I want to be naturally healthy, I don't want more damn pills. I know it should be a decision between me and my doctor, but I don't entirely trust doctors know. Anyone have experiences with them in Benzodiazepine withdrawals and were they helpful or not??

Firstly, this sums up the past two months I've just had better than I could put into words, and for that I thank you

My psychiatrist started me on Prozac two weeks ago and I haven't noticed improvement or decline.  However, as you know we're all different. May God bless you on this incredible journey.

Just a thought but have you tried any alternative therapies?  I'm having a great deal of success using natural and homeopathic remedies....some can be very effective and a lot less severe to come off of....

Peace&Love

Hope&Faith

I have been using 5-HTP, but dont know much about any other alternative or homeopathic remedies. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Id love to try something more natural.

Hey sunshine!

Check out the alternative therapies board here. There's a ton of information and that's as good a place to start as any. You'll find a lot of sufferers finding other ways to cope than traditional medicine.

For me, it was a matter of running as far away from traditional doctors and medicine as I could. The entire process changed me and made me question western medicine in general. I found the answers I needed and continue my journey to find health, healing and wellness. I hope you might do the same.

Peace&Love

Hope&Faith

• 1 month later...
Well, I think Prozac is okay for me. Or Lexapro was. Effexor XR. You may ask your pdoc. Some ppl have good results with Wellbutrin. You may always give ADs a try. Maybe your brain will be less sick on ADs than without them. Who knows.

Anti-depressant definitely help. And I recommend them for people that are suffering severe depression from withdraw because there is a good chance that you have a chemical imbalance.

There is only one problem. It takes a lot of patience to find the right one. And you need a doctor who is willing to help you find it. Because you are shopping for the right anti-depressive the wrong ones can actually make things worse because they cause drowsiness and can make you feel zoned out. I am speaking from my experience. But when you find the right one they can be a big help. So from experience I say Go For It

• 1 month later...

You are just 6 weeks benzo-free. Besides, you were on Xanax, which has antidepressant properties. Once you get into ADs, you may never get out. Your brain has not had enough time to heal yet. Be careful. Talk to your doctor. Try to differentiate between situational, benzo WD and clinical depression. Try CBT. Could be via Skype. Even supplements, like 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan, L-Tyrosine, or St. John’s Wort could be helpful. Omega-3 fatty acids are a must for depression. Very safe. There is magnesium, some vitamins B or L-Theanine to calm down. Consult a homeopath, as hopeandfaith advised you. It’s very difficult to quit ADs. I found many more ppl here who successfully withdrew from BDZ, then those who quit ADs on Surviving Antidepressants. They cling to the tiniest dose and are miserable. It seems impossible for some ppl to ditch their ADs. Was the same with me. Consult your pdoc. Try this book. You’ll find everything about supplements and proper nutrition. As far as supplements go, you can try one at a time after having consulted your doctor.