Finished Temazepam

[Be...]

My Mom took her last tapered dose of Temazepam on July 6, 2017 and she has been off of it since then. Fortunately, she had been on a relatively low dose of 7.5mg and then 3.75mg several months later.  The method of tapering I opted for was opening the capsules and discarding 5% over a 2 week period to start. We tried 10% a week but she got dizzy especially on the 1 or 2 days following her taper down evening (she took them at bedtime). As the dose value dropped near the end of her taper period, the amounts were so small that she could handle 5% over one week and then 10% over one week. I would include the weight of the capsule with the powder and so when we finally got down to the weight of the capsule alone, that was it.

For equipment, I purchased a mg scale, 1 and 2 mg scoops for removing/adding the powder, and empty #3 capsules. One of the reasons I had to purchase capsules is because her brand of Temazepam came in larger capsules and the manufacturer no longer made them and we were going to be switched to a smaller more concentrated capsule which would have completely screwed up my calculations so we were under the gun to get this done with only 1 month supply left. Fortunately this happened during the home stretch and I would take one full 7.5 mg capsule and empty only what I needed for the taper weight she was currently at for that week's supply. As the weight went down I needed less per week and I got to the point I could fill about 5 capsules from the one 7.5 mg one. The last week was so little in each capsule it was just like a dusting of the inside of the capsule.

Important to note that each capsule contains the precise amount of medication plus fillers so do not dump excess amounts from multiple capsules into one large container to draw from to fill capsules as the ratio of medication and fillers gets out of proportion then. Only fill from one capsule.

Now she has been having some challenges of falling asleep but she has been rotating each of one night of either: (1) Melatonin (3mg), (2) about 2 Valarian root capsules, (3) one Vitamin Shoppe blend brand of herbs (includes, passion flower, melatonin, valarian), and (4) a glass of Sherry (only since after being off the Benzos for 3 weeks).

I told her to STAY AWAY FROM BENZOS from now on.

Thanks to all of you for your support and advice and the wealth of information and shared experiences. In many instances, thank God I listened to your advice and not the hurried, wrong advice of some of the Doctors we listened too. I have also learned a lesson about Doctors needless to say.  :thumbsup:

[6a...]

Hi Benrest, I'm so glad your Mom is off the benzos - it's a great thing to be freed from ever taking one again.

I hope you'll both be celebrating! :smitten:

Hi Benrest

Well done to you and your Mom, congratulations Mom on being benzofree, what an achievement. 

You have been a great support for mom, I wish you both a wonderful future

Magrita :smitten:

Hello Benrest,

You did a great job in assisting your mom with tapering. Congratulations to you and your mom.

I wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

Hello Benrest

You are an amazing daughter. Helping your mom tapering and getting her off Temazepam is absolutely worth it. Praying for her speedy healing and complete recovery. Posting how you have tapered is very helpful information for those people who wants to taper their benzodiazepines medications.

Blessings!