Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Catlovers here?

[Li...]

I have one wonderful life companion who is my cat Piddle of 9 years old, he comes from the asylum.. I have no girlfriend/wife, so it is great to have a lively being in my surroundings. Someone I can care about and of which I receive love in return. He is quite smart too, even though he cannot read the clock, he is one hour too early for his meat meal. He even tried to wake me in the early morning to get his meat, but now I have sort box with timer which contains his meat and opens around 8 O'clock. A super solution. He is playful and always happy. Only sometimes he bites or scratches me, but hey, he is a cat...

So I am really curious how many of you have a cat housemate...does he/she gives you help in dark times?

[ea...]

Hi Lightspacer,

I'm so glad you have Piddle!

My household has a few cats, and they faithfully guarded me during the many months I was barely able to get out of bed. In fact, the little exercise I even got was from getting up to feed them and clean their pans. Couldn't shop at all, so I had everything for them delivered from Chewy.com, including bags of litter. We all learned to entertain each other while I was incessantly horizontal, with a laser pointer, cat teasers and lots of fetching.

One of my feral guys had trouble adjusting to being civilized, and if I said No to him, whoa, he'd charged me like an angry rhino, and sink his fangs into my arm or hand. I taught him to 'munch' next to my finger when he's stressed, so he's an amazingly cuddly guy now.

He's my new alarm clock. I often wake up with his cheek next to mine, munching the air near my ear.

Congrats on being off zopiclone!

Leslie  :smitten:

I love to read about your cat Piddle! I wish I had a cat with me too :) does Piddle take naps with you? The other day I was lying awake and reading on cat forums on my phone. But then I started to read about sad cat stuff, how someone's cat said goodbye to everyone in the family before passing away. I cried for an hour, I don't know what is wrong with me haha. I love cats  :smitten:

I have a beautiful blue-point Siamese, Lily, with blue eyes who is my best friend.  She's 12 now and I got her when she was only about 8 weeks.  We're very close. I don't let her run loose outside, but I take her out in a harness with an orange string and let her roam around.  I can keep an eye on the long orange twine string so she doesn't run off.  She likes to walk around outside and munch on grass.  We have a highway nearby so I don't let her run loose.  I lost another cat up on the highway.  She used to jump from the floor up onto the top of the fridge and knock all the magnets off when she was younger.  She was quite wild but has calmed down now.  People always told me how beautiful she was.  She's very loving and likes to be kissed on the head.  When she was very young they used to have only cans of cat food which required a can opener and now everytime I use the can opener, she remembers those days and thinks I'm opening a can of food for her and she comes running.  Now you don't need a can opener for cat food. 

Hey Lightspacer,

My Kitty is now 6 yrs 3 mos 17 days old. She's a calico Exotic Shorthair girl. This is a crossbreed between a Persian and American Shorthair cat. Her tortie Persian mom is an International Champion. Kitty's too fearful for shows, but she used to be a very famous Kitty. You can see her in my artistic portrait in the avatar.

We are together most of the time. I love her much more than the two most important significant others I had in life. I love her more than life itself. I've got no kids, so she's like a daughter to me.

Kitty's an indoor cat. Very gentle and fearful. We always sleep together. I wouldn't fall asleep if I did not have her on the pillow next to me. I usually hold her paw when I fall asleep. When I wake up in the middle of the night. She's by my side. Head on my pillow. Or just beside my pillow. Very cuddly. Purring. Makes me fall asleep very often without additional Valium. I wouldn't be able to taper without Kitty. She never ever wakes me up. As though she understood I have insomnia.

She came into my life in 2011 and I have only left my home for 10 days without her. Hospitalizations. Some addiction centers wanted to admit me with her, but it would be too much stress for her. I have no need to travel, cause I don't want to leave her. When I'm out and about in the city, I think about her all the time. And feel as though my arm were missing.

I didn't want to be in the office 8 hrs/day, cause she was alone at that time. I used to leave home for 12 hrs 5 days a week and felt very bad without her. 8 hrs' office, 2 hrs' commuting, 2 hrs' eating out and shopping. Then I fell so sick in 2014 I stayed with her at home permanently.

I guess she thinks I'm the other cat, her mom. She only wants to play with me. We have constant eye contact. She's serious and clownish at the same time. Requires an awful lot of grooming. Especially before photo sessions.

She talks to me a lot. I talk to her all the time. Hasn't destroyed a single thing in the house. Is a bit spoiled, so I have to sometimes discipline her by locking her in another room for like 15 minutes.

Eats her dry food when I eat. Or when I take my supplements. She thinks it's my dry food.

Kitty is a proud owner of three big scratching posts, numerous scratching mats, hundreds of toys and fancy bowls. Two litter boxes for her comfort. Dozens of wicker trays, boxes, baskets etc. I would buy her some large scratching trees, but no place in the appt. I sometimes wonder who lives in this appt.: me or Kitty? Her stuff is everywhere.

She scratches her posts and mats like crazy. Loves to play with laser mouses, DaBird and Cat Dancer. Among others.

I've made thousands of pix of Kitty. Artistic portraits with a DSLR. I checked your artistic site. Very very cool. I'm an artist too. I wrote poetry and now I want to specialize in these artistic portraits of Kitty and other cats. I can earn money this way. I also wrote poems about Kitty.

When I was into shooting her pix and post-processing them in Adobe LR, I could go on like 10 mg Valium each 24 hrs. Which is 15 mg Zopiclone. Pdocs don't want me to take less. Portraying her filled the void in my life. Guess I'm filling some kind of void with psych meds. I have all these conditions and am very sick. But I don't need so much meds. I need to find purpose and meaning through creation.

I also write a lot. I need to write. Made money by writing for many years. But what I wrote had no meaning to me. I would love to translate self-help books from English into my native tongue. It's very difficult to get such a job here when you don't know ppl in this business. I devour self-help books. Since I'm still unable to read, I listen to them on Audible all the time.

If I go in a direction of pursuing my dreams, I will no longer need so much psych poison. The ability to express oneself through art and creation is priceless.

Your Piddle is beautiful. Moggies can live up to 20 yrs old. That's such an asset. Exotic Shorthair's lifespan is of 12-15 yrs. When I think of it, I become very depressed. I don't want another cat. Kitty is my life. There was an EXO girl who recently died at age 10. I cried for several days and nights. She looked so much like Kitty.

Great signature you've got. Give your Piddle a hug from me.

Congrats on your zopiclone taper :thumbsup:

Estee

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+damn+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5848/event.png[/img]

We have two male cats that are 7 years old!  I thank the Lord for them daily.  They are soooo unconditionally loving and beautiful.  They helped us through many rough days and nights!  Those of us with pets are blessed.  :)

Three rescues here...a brother and a sister, Maine coons named Sol and Pepper, and a Berman-looking kitty.  The two Maine coons are mellow, the Berman is a rascally troublemaker.  None of them meow unless one of the others is shut in a closet, then you see two outside the closet door looking at the third one's paw under the door trying to get out..  No hisses, growls or other aggression amongst them, which is unusual.

Gosh, this topic is so cool. I absolutely love cats. Gonna read every single post. Hope more ppl contribute.

Your cat portraits are gorgeous, Lightspacer. Wish I had a page like that for my portraits of Kitty.

Yeah, I actually dream about sth like that. An anonymous page with Kitty's DSLR portraits, post-processed in Adobe LR.

Am a lousy Mom, but I owe her that page. The problem is I know very little about IT.

width=420 height=89https://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;93/st/20160228/e/last+damn+Ambien+pill/dt/6/k/5848/event.png[/img]

We have two cats, Friday and Charlie. Friday we got from a high school girl in our apartment complex. She was found in a pipe, abandoned. And Charlie is a rescue. They like each other pretty much. They play fight once in awhile, but mostly just play. :)  Friday loves to suck on my ears like I'm her momma.

I have a blue point Himalayan, he's 1 and half yrs old.

I have loved Himmi,s is since the 80's but was never able to get one.  In March 2016 my hubby saw an ad in the paper and said he was going to go look......I didn't think much of it

He drove up an hour later and motioned me to the car

There was Paddy sitting in a box!  :smitten:

He was so little and furry.

I brought him in the house and he started playing right away. He's never cried or meowed much.

Just plays, eats and sleeps. He's grown into a beautiful cat  :smitten:

Three rescues here...a brother and a sister, Maine coons named Sol and Pepper, and a Berman-looking kitty.  The two Maine coons are mellow, the Berman is a rascally troublemaker.  None of them meow unless one of the others is shut in a closet, then you see two outside the closet door looking at the third one's paw under the door trying to get out..  No hisses, growls or other aggression amongst them, which is unusual.

That image of a paw under the door made me LOL  :2funny: :2funny:

I have two half sister cats. One is a Calico and the other a Russian Blue. The calico is fat and lazy and only likes my mom. The Russian Blue is such a trouble maker, never sleeps and climbs up the curtains. She refuses to be held. The calico runs under the bed every time the doorbell rings. The Blue hides and then comes out to visit. The Calico sleeps her night and day away. The Blue refuses to use the litter box and pees on the new carpet Both are very finicky eaters and the Blue is skinny. The calico must come out at night and eat because she is fat. I have had cats all of my life but these two are real losers and I'm so glad I left them with mom when I moved. She keeps calling me to ask if I will take them and I always say no! All of my others cats were the delight of my life but not these two. But the calico does sleep right next to my mom at night. The blue seems to stay up all night. >:D >:D Taking either of them to the vet is torture and after they come back they hide for three days. :crazy:

BG, why wouldn't a darn cat use a litter box?  I'd let that cat be an outdoor cat.

Hey Becks:

Nice to hear from you. We could not let them be out door cats because the last two got eaten by coyotes. And my favorite one. All of our cats had been out door but too much building forced them off their own territory and now live in the woods behind the the house. I don't know why Emily will not use the litter box. She does at times and at other times she just pees on the carpet. We have to get it steamed cleaning very often, only for her to do this again. She is expensive! And we clean the litter box 3X a day!