CBC: "Renowned yoga teacher Michael Stone dies after drug overdose in Victoria"

[La...]

This is a sad story about the recent death of well-known British Columbia man -- a yoga teacher, author, husband, father -- who died after taking an street-purchased opioid that was likely laced with fentanyl.  From all accounts, he led a healthy lifestyle, yet he was also dealing with bipolar disorder. He tried various natural methods of dealing with it, and then sought help from a psychiatrist. He was on some sort of medication for his bipolar disorder, but none of the articles I read stated which one(s).

Apparently, a full toxicology report may take awhile due to the backlog of cases in British Columbia.

The CBC article is below, along with a related article and the statement from his wife about his passing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/michael-stone-yoga-dead-1.4218210 

https://tricycle.org/trikedaily/buddhist-teacher-michael-stones-family-says-likely-died-opioid-overdose/

https://www.lionsroar.com/official-statement-on-passing-of-michael-stone-released/ 

There it is, the white, middle-class, also victims of this opioid epidemic (and here, psychiatry too).  So sad Lapis.  I hadn’t heard of him, but wow, he was once your neighbour.  Gulf Islanders are my people and I feel like he was once my neighbour too. 

It  looks to me like psychiatry/psychotropics were behind this, again- his feelings of desperation, trying to find relief through self-medication, turned away by legitimate services that should have been there to help him, essentially forced to the street, and ultimately dying from fentanyl, which I'm sure most don't intend to buy. 

Wasn’t it once the mainstream news’ business to protect and warn the public, taking chances by suggesting possible connections between things like psychiatry/psychotropics and death?  Maybe only the rogue journalists will do this now.  Their careers aren’t at stake.    And when the toxicology is done, will anyone connect dots for us for us then?  I doubt it.  This will be another missed opportunity to tell the real story. The news people cannot truly be this clueless.  I think powerful forces behind the scenes stand in the way.

Ugh is right (you said ugh on the other thread). 

So very sorry to hear of Mr. Stone's death-what a wonderful man.  It's awful that he had to turn to street drugs to try to get some relief.  I hear that Fentanyl deaths are rising all over and that it is even more powerful and dangerous than opioids...truly scary.  I recently learned about Dr. Walsh, a scientist, who has been studying for many years, how to help people with depression, bi-polar, autism, schizophrenia and many other issues.  He and his foundation have helped many people through careful testing and supplementation live better lives.  I wish his studies and protocols were at the front of mainstream media. 

benzohno:  I wish mainstream media would take up the mantle and help protect and warn the public, too.  There seems to be so little investigative journalism any more.  I see way too many pharmaceutical ads on mainstream TV here in the states and I wonder if that could be a factor as well.  Dr.  Walsh said in his book that he believes that "today's emphasis on prescription psychiatric medications will not stand the test of time...it's unlikely that these drugs will ever be universally effective or free of side effects."

benzohno:  I wish mainstream media would take up the mantle and help protect and warn the public, too.  There seems to be so little investigative journalism any more. I see way too many pharmaceutical ads on mainstream TV here in the states and I wonder if that could be a factor as well.  Dr.  Walsh said in his book that he believes that "today's emphasis on prescription psychiatric medications will not stand the test of time...it's unlikely that these drugs will ever be universally effective or free of side effects."

Hi BurnedOut.  That's exactly what I'm thinking.  Even though we don't have the drug ads on the Canadian stations, I suspect their hand is in everything.  I know they lobby our government.

I found this story really heart-breaking. When this young man lived in my building, he was studying psychology at university. Then I saw a story about him years later, and I was very impressed by how many lives he was touching with his yoga practice, books and Buddhist studies. Seeing the headline a couple days ago and seeing his picture really knocked me for a loop.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head, benzohno. I had the same feeling. The statement about his death refers to constantly changing medication and numerous efforts to maintain some sort equilibrium. It seemed like he was in a desperate situation and ended up in a coma by trying to -- possibly -- deal with effects from prescribed medications.

This line gets me: "As things worsened he turned to psychiatry and medication as well. Balancing his meds was ever-changing and precarious."

And these lines too: "In the silencing he hid desires he had for relief. This spring his mania began to cycle more rapidly. The psychiatrist had always said the most dangerous part of bipolar disorder is the manic episode. It’s the part they treat. In an effort to stabilize him, his medication dosage was increased. Now and then he would mention a wish for a safe, non-addictive prescribed natural form of opium. He discussed it with his psychiatrist and Carina. He thought it might calm his overactive mind.

Unbeknownst to everybody, he was growing more desperate..."

So, so sad. Father of young children. Husband. Loved by many. Teacher. Buddhist. Yoga practitioner. Into alternative health care, healthy eating and exercise.

This shouldn't have happened. I do hope we hear the truth, but we might not. I keep thinking of his young family. It seems there's a good support system for them, and I hope they'll be okay. But it's a massive loss. They'll always have this huge hole in their hearts.

Even though I only knew him for a brief time 20-something years ago, I feel touched by this death.