Study, Jul/17: "Zolpidem"

[La...]

Excerpt

Zolpidem is a non-benzodiazepine receptor modulator primarily used in the treatment of insomnia. It is proven to improve measures of sleep latency, sleep duration, and reduce the number of awakenings in patients with transient insomnia. It is also shown to improve sleep quality in patients with chronic insomnia as well and may be used as a minor muscle relaxant. Research also shows that it is rapid and effective in restoring brain function in patients who are in a vegetative state after brain injury as the drug has a potential to completely or partially reverse the abnormal metabolism of damaged brain cells. Usually, patients recover if the injury is found in non-brain stem areas.

Abstract:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28723037

Full Article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK442008/#article-31475.s1

Excerpt

Zolpidem is a non-benzodiazepine receptor modulator primarily used in the treatment of insomnia. It is proven to improve measures of sleep latency, sleep duration, and reduce the number of awakenings in patients with transient insomnia. It is also shown to improve sleep quality in patients with chronic insomnia as well and may be used as a minor muscle relaxant. Research also shows that it is rapid and effective in restoring brain function in patients who are in a vegetative state after brain injury as the drug has a potential to completely or partially reverse the abnormal metabolism of damaged brain cells. Usually, patients recover if the injury is found in non-brain stem areas.

Abstract:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28723037

Full Article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK442008/#article-31475.s1

Zolpidem “improved” my sleep quality(or so I thought) until it decided to turn on me full force, and made me feel like I was literally drinking acid. Also, just recently have I begun to understand the connection of interdose w/d to my daily use of Ambien....I certainly didn't connect the dots while under its insidious control. :(

I thought I was dying, until I found the Ashton Manual a year after I had begun experiencing this “acid” like symptom from this horrible drug(should never be used long term for insomnia!!).

The Ashton Manual was like a healing balm..without it who knows what condition I would be in today…

I can’t believe this drug is being endorsed in this medical journal? as a good remedy for insomnia….really?? I wish I had never, ever taken this drug…it’s very dangerous from my personal experience.

Thanks Lapis for keeping us informed on articles such as this one…it is shocking to say the least.....but not surprising. :(

Hi BlueRose,

I think many of us experienced similar things to you, whether from a benzo or a Z-drug. They're definitely NOT meant for long-term use. This excerpt that I re-printed is the first I've read of a use for someone in a vegetative state after brain injury, but that seems to be a highly specific and unusual circumstance compared with what the drug is most often prescribed for.

The full article is useful, in that it looks at adverse effects, contraindications and toxicity.

Glad to share whatever I find that might be useful to others around here!  :)

Hi Lapis,

I didn’t see the 2nd article when I read your post…still, I’m compelled to say that these drugs are nothing to mess around with…… unless, of course, it is a life and death situation, or if someones life is so compromised that only these drugs will help them.

Even then, if my quality of life is extremely poor and Ambien is a viable option to improve it….I doubt I would/could personally take it…..I hope I never have to make that kind of a decision. I know…..anything can arise, and just like wise King Solomon was inspired to write:

I have seen something further under the sun, that the swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle,+ nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches,+ nor do those with knowledge always have success,+ because time and unexpected events* overtake them all.

So, since we never know what can arise in our lives from one moment to the next….the idea is to never say never, given an unexpected event could change things in a flash.

Zolpideme first made me sleep. like a dead person.

Then it made me writing emails in my sleep, do online-shopping while being asleep and talking to people on the phone - next day I did not remember anything :thumbs:

After a while it acted paradoxically and was the best med AGAINST sleep.

Wonderful Zolpideme. Rest in peace forever. :idiot:

I do have an Rx of 10mg Ambien.  Only on occasion do I take a 1/2 pill (5mg).  If a person takes a dose very often, the drug will rear its ugly head (even though it's not a benzo..............)    Don't take this drug if you can at all help it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had never been introduced to Zolpidem. Initially I felt it was a great solution to my issues with insomnia.

It is an insidious drug that can fool its users until it is too late. The damage caused by this drug crept up on me before I understood what was happening. It has been a long and winding road…. my journey of recovery from this drug.

Some time before I acutely reacted to taking Zolpidem, I was intent on eventually getting off of it. In the back of my mind I could not dismiss what the insert with each refill said in fine print….studies show this drug causes cancer in rats.

These drugs need to be handled with great care….I feel that way with all medications now. But I also recognize we do want relief.

If I had it to do all over again….I would have learned to live with insomnia and not resorted to a drug. The insomnia I had before Z-drugs/benzos was nothing compared to what these drugs did to my health in the end.