Low-Dose Valium "helps" with social anxiety

[Fl...]

Yes, this is no good. They don't take into effect dependency issues or having to updose when the pill is no longer working.

Geez, just when you think things are changing, up pop these articles. They make it seem so easy - just pop a pill and your social anxiety is gone - for awhile. And then you start having interdose withdrawals and rebound anxiety, so you take more. A vicious circle.

"Now EPFL scientists have shown that low doses of anxiolytic drugs – such as diazepam (Valium) – can ameliorate this effect by increasing the activity of mitochondria in the neurons of a brain pathway associated with motivation and reward.

Well, once the drug is withdrawn, then the mitochondria suffer as well as many other parts of the body.

They didn't say for how long this would be taken - whether it's a one-time thing or what. I know, for me, that I'd want to use the drug more often than one time if I had good success with it and didn't know all the pitfalls that I'm aware of now.

There was nothing said about the dangers of these drugs. It only presents the good.

It sounds like a real slippery slope to me, too, Fliprain! 

“However, similar changes in mitochondrial function could also be achieved through behavior-training programs or nutritional interventions.” Her group is already researching effective, non-pharmacological interventions that target the same mechanisms in the brain to ameliorate behavioral dysfunctions related to trait anxiety.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I appreciate your comments, Terry. You took the time to dive in and digest the article.

I was also thinking that alcohol reduces social anxiety, or, how do they put it? - increases social competitiveness. One of the predictors of developing alcohol abuse disorder is that feeling of ease socially after drinking for the first time. For those of us familiar with social anxiety, we are all too aware of how great it feels not to have it all of a sudden. I remember feeling like I had a greased lighting tongue and was a shining example of witty conversation when I was drinking. 🙄

I'm rooting for the behavior change. It takes longer but the "side effects" are way more desireable and tolerable.

😉

Flip

Yes, I agree, Fliprain. Behavior change is longer-lasting. This is a band-aid fix.

I know I would get too dependent too easily on both alcohol and drugs to solve my social anxiety. I went for a long period without drinking and found that I could converse all right, so that gave me courage, but earlier I always used alcohol and marijuana to be around people. At a party I immediately sought them out. It was a real crutch. I also remember having to be up in front of the class in college, with a panel, and I was so frightened that my sister gave me a Valium. But she was so worried that I'd get hooked that she took a lot of time explaining that this was only a one-time thing. I didn't use it after that until my downfall with Ativan. The person who prescribed Ativan gave no warning whatsoever. That's why I think there needs to be informed consent. Unfortunately, this paper gives all the glossy, feel-good info about "low dose" Valium and completely sidesteps the risk of dependency and damage to the body.

[17...]

Wow, thanks for posting this, Flip.

It's scary that people may be led to believe that this is any way safe. I believed my low dose of Ativan was safe until I got sucked into the vortex of tolerance.

That increase in 'social competitiveness' will prove to be pretty useless when the agoraphobia sets in after a few years, which is what happened to me. I was a fearless adventurer and enthusiastic traveler before the crippling effects of agoraphobia stopped me cold.

When I finally jumped, the agoraphobia vanished rapidly thereafter - thankfully. For some it takes much longer, as they are subsequently drugged for the agoraphobia.

It's sad to think how many of today's readers of that article will take such seductive info to heart, and then become tomorrow's new BenzoBuddies. Yikes.