DP/DR Support group

[mi...]

Hi everyone. I'm 10 months out after c/t from xanax after 11 years.  Dpdr is my worst symptom, leaving me unable to work and I don't leave the hiuse much. I'm not sure how much longer I can take this. I feel insane. Its like i dont know who I am. I completely blank. I feel like Im tripping on acid alot of the time. A lot of this I cant put words to which makes it even more frustrating. I'm dissociating a lot of the time. I hardly recognize myself in the mirror. I have no emotion and I feel like my experience of ever day life is drastically different than a normal person's. I leave in fear and terror and confusion. I just need to know that this will go away. Even if its in a year, I just need to know theres an end. This is not a quality life.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Aj...]

• [jo...]

• [Gr...]

• [ke...]

Top Posters In This Topic

It will end. It’s actually a protective measure the brain has in a high-anxiety and stress state. It’s inappropriately engaged now, but eventually will return to normal. Try distracting yourself and remembering a time when you didn’t feel like this. Easier said than done, but it has helped me a lot.

It will end. It’s actually a protective measure the brain has in a high-anxiety and stress state. It’s inappropriately engaged now, but eventually will return to normal. Try distracting yourself and remembering a time when you didn’t feel like this. Easier said than done, but it has helped me a lot.

Has it gone away for you?

I would Say partly. It isn’t as intense.

Try distracting yourself and remembering a time when you didn’t feel like this. Easier said than done, but it has helped me a lot.

My biggest issue with DP/DR is that I have complete memory loss. I can't remember anything past what I did this morning. So I can't remember a time when I didnt feel like this, so it feels like I've always been this way, and I'll be like this forever. It's terrifying. Does it go away for everyone? Or is it sometimes like a switch that can't be turned off?

I have a lot of these symptoms combined with severe sensory derangement and loss of sensation throughout body.

I was seeing an accupuncturist but can’t go atm.

Anyway - he experienced DP/DR himself when he was younger after smoking some strong grass.

I had a long chat with him about it.

For him it lasted about 3 years in total and he said that it resolved over time with a windows and wave pattern much like benzo stuff. He said it was a non-linear process.

He also said what helped was lots of walking in nature - woods etc. He completely gave up TV for 2 years and that helped.

Unfortunately I’m too ill to go out and be in nature and am currently phobic of my garden a lot of the time but thought it might help some of you.

Hi everyone. I'm 10 months out after c/t from xanax after 11 years.  Dpdr is my worst symptom, leaving me unable to work and I don't leave the hiuse much. I'm not sure how much longer I can take this. I feel insane. Its like i dont know who I am. I completely blank. I feel like Im tripping on acid alot of the time. A lot of this I cant put words to which makes it even more frustrating. I'm dissociating a lot of the time. I hardly recognize myself in the mirror. I have no emotion and I feel like my experience of ever day life is drastically different than a normal person's. I leave in fear and terror and confusion. I just need to know that this will go away. Even if its in a year, I just need to know theres an end. This is not a quality life.

Antidepressants helped me with this.

It eases with time for sure but you have to set up your mind to ignore this feeling. Won’t work the first day but as long as you try not to repeat to yourself each minute that you are not yourself you’ll see some progress. Feed your mind the rationality it needs. There’s not much to do other than riding through it in the most neutral way possible.

Like someone said earlier, it’s basically a reaction of extreme anxiety where your head shut off most sensations to protect you. It’s not permanent damage. It comes and goes and a lot of people experience it and i have it too to some degree but it got better these past days. Shitty sensation for sure !

• 2 weeks later...
This symptom has me agoraphobic... everything looks so surreal. The cars look like they’re going in slow motion and it makes me want to vomit. I’m also having a lot of Deja Vu with it like I’ll look out the window and I’ll see a certain type of car each time if that makes sense? I don’t know if it’s because I’m hyper vigilant of everything and try to make connections where there are none. I also say “hey do you see that car” because I honestly think I’m hallucinating because everything looks like a nightmare... but then they’ll be like yeah what about it? I would take ANY symptom over this horrid symptom. It causes me so much distress. I know it can’t hurt you but it scares me so much. I feel psychotic honestly... What steps should I take to get over this?  :'( :-\

Try distracting yourself and remembering a time when you didn’t feel like this. Easier said than done, but it has helped me a lot.

My biggest issue with DP/DR is that I have complete memory loss. I can't remember anything past what I did this morning. So I can't remember a time when I didnt feel like this, so it feels like I've always been this way, and I'll be like this forever. It's terrifying. Does it go away for everyone? Or is it sometimes like a switch that can't be turned off?

My memory was also atrocious after my detox. It slowly started to come back over 2 yrs.

• 4 weeks later...

My DP/DR had been pretty good for a couple of months, after 6 months in totally foggy alien state. It definitely goes away.

Couple days ago the hell started again, in a little scale though!

I can't recognize my own hands. If I touch my hand with other one, it feels like it's somebody elses, so much intrusive existencial stuff. I can't see any point in anything, the whole concept of a human being is weird.

Can anyone understand what I am saying?

At least I still know, this is not gonna last forever! Uh, still, what a struggle.

All the best healing friends!  :smitten:

• 1 month later...

My DP/DR had been pretty good for a couple of months, after 6 months in totally foggy alien state. It definitely goes away.

I can't recognize my own hands. If I touch my hand with other one, it feels like it's somebody elses, so much intrusive existencial stuff. I can't see any point in anything, the whole concept of a human being is weird.

At least I still know, this is not gonna last forever! Uh, still, what a struggle.

Have to say, it's been much better for a month now!

We are healing!

I have that feeling related to touch throughout my whole body even the feel of my tongue in my mouth.

Everything feels unreal as if My brain is not able to connect to the rest of my body.

Also touching external objects feels unreal and disconnected and the world feels insubstantial as if it could all dissolve or float away,

Is that DP/DR?

These are some really good descriptions of this. I always had trouble describing it. I am so glad that finally disappeared. For me it went away slowly, and one particular week, I realized I just felt "normal" again. Or more normal. Both DP and DR made short return visits for a few months, and it seemed to happen when I had extra stress, or hadn't slept well. But now, I have NONE of that stuff and life is again pretty awesome.

east

East - did you have this effect your sense of touch?

When I touch my body it feels like I can’t feel it properly from the inside of my body.

Also objects don’t feel real when I touch or hold them?

I can’t feel food properly in my mouth.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Following this thread as DR is one of my worst symptoms. I have visual issues too and tinnitus. It keeps me indoors and agoraphobic. Really suffering with this.

I just wanted to let you guys know that the DP/DR goes.

It was my worst symptom. Im 4 months out and my has improved drastically.

Avoiding alcohol and eating very clean with no sugar or chocolate made a difference.

Here is something I'm posting on another group................

I’m not quite ready for a full success story but things are looking good and I wanted to share my progress.

I’m four months out and some of my worst symptoms are either improving or have disappeared. After I jumped I had a very bumpy ride and that was made worse by some bad new. I hit a major low about the 2 month mark and then after a few weeks I started improving.

My DP/DR has nearly gone.

The dark grey vision has gone.

My vision has stopped being blurry.

Anxiety and depression gone.

Acid reflux has gone.

All strange sensations and experiences have gone.

My manic thinking has gone.

Poor night vision has gone.

I still feel a bit weak and can’t tolerate exercise but this seems to be Improving.

I drank throughout and I don't think it helped me in anyway. If you can, stay off the drink.

Diet definitely was important for me and I think eating clean and low sugar s the way to go.

We do get better so hang In there!

Looking forward to posing my full success story.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you guys know that the DP/DR goes.

It was my worst symptom. Im 4 months out and my has improved drastically.

Avoiding alcohol and eating very clean with no sugar or chocolate made a difference.

Here is something I'm posting on another group................

I’m not quite ready for a full success story but things are looking good and I wanted to share my progress.

I’m four months out and some of my worst symptoms are either improving or have disappeared. After I jumped I had a very bumpy ride and that was made worse by some bad new. I hit a major low about the 2 month mark and then after a few weeks I started improving.

My DP/DR has nearly gone.

The dark grey vision has gone.

My vision has stopped being blurry.

Anxiety and depression gone.

Acid reflux has gone.

All strange sensations and experiences have gone.

My manic thinking has gone.

Poor night vision has gone.

I still feel a bit weak and can’t tolerate exercise but this seems to be Improving.

I drank throughout and I don't think it helped me in anyway. If you can, stay off the drink.

Diet definitely was important for me and I think eating clean and low sugar s the way to go.

We do get better so hang In there!

Looking forward to posing my full success story.

Thanks Matt Man on giving your update. So glad to hear that we can heal from this weird state, and I was really worried about this "dim vision" thing that comes with DP/DR,  Is anyone else been able to measure if they getting healing?

• 1 year later...

I am not on this site much anymore, because I am almost 100% healed.  I wanted to encourage all of you that this is NOT permanent.  I felt this way for a long time, almost 3 years.  The DP would come and go.  Eventually, the feeling will leave.  I still occasionally, will feel disconnected, like a acid trip from the 70's. It doesn't last long.  I tell myself that it is withdrawal and my body is healing. I find a distraction that will remove me from thinking about how weird I feel.  No use trying to explain the feeling to someone who hasn't been through this.  Avoid negative people and stressful situations (hard to do, I know)  Exercise helps.  Meditation helps.  Be kind to yourself.  You are not crazy, you are not dying, this is not a permanent condition.  Hard to believe when you are going through this ordeal.  Also, each and every one of us is different.  For some, DP/DR only lasts a short time, but for others it feels like it will never end.  I never took another drug or medication again after 4/9/2015. I am sending healing thoughts of health to all of you.  :-*

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to thank you so much for letting people know this! I haven’t been able to find people from this site who had dpdr for years and still recovered. I’m closing in 4 years with chronic dpdr from the medications and it has been so brutal. Mine has been otherworldly bad. Totally out of my body and this world, acid tripping for months on end. Lost hope many times that it will ever go away. I’m hopeful. Thank you  :smitten:

I know it’s bad for everyone and scary for everyone no matter how little time people have it, but I honestly feel so envious for people who complain having it for few months and then declaring it gone in another few months.. you have no idea..

• 5 months later...

Wilding,

i have a friend who has this bad. She cannot look at things and lies in bed. Do you have any advice?

Nothing much helps me when it is bad except trying to distract and accept. And not end your life because of it. I am so sorry, I wish I had something to offer but the reality is nothing really touches medication induced DPDR.

Wilding,

i have a friend who has this bad. She cannot look at things and lies in bed. Do you have any advice?

Nothing much helps me when it is bad except trying to distract and accept. And not end your life because of it. I am so sorry, I wish I had something to offer but the reality is nothing really touches medication induced DPDR.

Thank you for writing back. It is awful that this is so. I wish there was a something for everything, like ginger for nausea. But you are right we must keep going.