Music in head

[go...]

Hey guys,

I have been dealing with music in my head (which I know is normal for some) but it hasn't gone away in over a year, literally always constant. I get super afraid of some songs, I wasn't able to get off xanax because this gave me a lot of fear. I am now 21 days free (second longest I have gone, longest since graduating college a few months ago), and wondering if I just need to keep going. I also get intrusive/obsessive/irrational thoughts like I won't be able to stop thinking about one thing. I have success windows, but I seem to freak myself out. Just looking for some direction and hope from more experienced people.  Has anyone else dealt with this? :)

[4d...]
I often 'play' music in my head, and it got really annoying during withdrawal.  I found that playing music constantly stopped the problem.  I even play music at bedtime (soft ambient stuff).  I don't give my mind a chance to create music - there's always abundant real music going on around me.

I often 'play' music in my head, and it got really annoying during withdrawal.  I found that playing music constantly stopped the problem.  I even play music at bedtime (soft ambient stuff).  I don't give my mind a chance to create music - there's always abundant real music going on around me.

Any idea what causes this, Badsocref?  I've done this most of my life - really drive me nuts sometimes. 

[4d...]

Any idea what causes this, Badsocref?  I've done this most of my life - really drive me nuts sometimes.

No idea.  Germans call it an ear-worm (Ohrwurm).  I'm kind of a musical person.  Maybe even a little OCD-like about music.  I play piano, and the tunes in my head often reflect what I'm practicing - especially if I practice late at night.  Then those songs are all in my head when I try to sleep.  But the music system in my bedroom helps to take care of that.

Earworm!  Pretty apt word for it.  My earworms are all pieces that I used to play on the piano many, many years ago.  They're very associated with muscle memory, rather than auditory.  I don't actually 'hear' the music - my hands remember the movement while my brain remembers the rhythm and fingering, over and over, ad nauseum.  It's odd - I think it's a manifestation of some low-level OCD compulsions.  Just an interesting phenomenon to me, I guess, as I've had it for so long, but it doesn't bother me that much.  I'll try the ambient music as a backdrop. 

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

I have been dealing with music in my head (which I know is normal for some) but it hasn't gone away in over a year, literally always constant. I get super afraid of some songs, I wasn't able to get off xanax because this gave me a lot of fear. I am now 21 days free (second longest I have gone, longest since graduating college a few months ago), and wondering if I just need to keep going. I also get intrusive/obsessive/irrational thoughts like I won't be able to stop thinking about one thing. I have success windows, but I seem to freak myself out. Just looking for some direction and hope from more experienced people.  Has anyone else dealt with this? :)

I had this my whole life. Apart from the really relaxing songs I know anything (srsly ANYTHING, even songs that don't exist) may pop up in my head. If I skip listening to anything for a prolonged time and/or I am in deep concetration flow state, it disappears. Unfortunately that is rare. If anybody knows anything more reliable, please let us know.

• 4 weeks later...
I too have music playing in my head mostly in the mornings when I am laying in bed!  It is the same ones for a few days and then it changes to some new ones, then cycles back!  Sometimes it is even rap songs!  Ya, very annoying for sure!!!! Especially when I don't know all the words!!!! ❤