Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

OK, if i put in benzo withdrawal it comes up.

Yes a phone group I think could be very important.

Don't know anything about zoom, tho...  skype I can do...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you found it.

Zoom is similar to Skpe, but yes when the reminder email goes out, their is a phone number to call as well. 

Hope it works for you. 

I was so glad she found that Barbara, you were first person I thought of.  I spread the information around several threads.  I hope it works well for you.  💜

I am one of the older people doing much worse.

Frankly I don't see lots of older people doing better,

I'm sorry for you Barbara. But I don't agree with your contention that us oldsters do worse. I'm 72 and I'm doing very darned well.  I think many BBs, including us oldsters, just don't come back and report that we're doing well.

I agree with East.

And, like her, I've been on and off here a long time and have observed that older folks do better. We're more sensible, have some history behind us yadda yadda. The ones who I've observed do worse are the young, impatient folks who want off NOW. That makes them imo do some pretty foolish things -- go too fast, add dodgy drugs, CT out of frustration, reinstate instead of giving things time.

Anyhow, just my observations.

Katz

OregonKatz:

Wow--over 17k posts.

That is encouraging to hear. You know after reading your comments in cannabis support etc. I envisioned you as a youngish neo-hippie girl--keeping the vibe going. Not so you are young in spirit. And an outdoor grower (I was indoor). How enchanting and mesmerizing the plant is outdoors. Your Spring and Summers must be fun but H time is a lot of work even with just four plants. I always felt bad for my girls at chop time. Though, I have reduced my consumption by 95% since I naively began using benzos. Want to talk cannabis PM me anytime. One of my favorite topics and, likely,  O/T on this thread.

Cheers

Twitch I feel the same.

Having to move or go to asst living or going out when agoraphobic sounds and have horrid depression sounds harder to me than dropping dead.

I'm so sorry, BarbaraAve, I hope things turn out better than we think. xo

It's interesting that all of this comes up because I can really relate. On a good note, I was talking to someone yesterday who has read a lot of research recently about worry, etc. The research showed that almost 98% of the things we worry about never come to pass. That along with some faith and common sense give me some hope. This whole ride can seem so hopeless at times, but we'll see how things pan out. Worry just causes me to have anxiety escalate to new levels, but it's a hard battle. Let's all just plan and prepare the best we can and then let things fall. Bless ya!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

You are correct. And to top it off we have 65K to 80K of thoughts per day-----most repetitive each day. Same old song and dance. Worry worry worry. Back and forth the past and the yet to come.

Yep--the battle. That in itself is what drives our worry. The best explanation I have read is in the books by--John Teasdale, Mark Williams and Zindel Segal. Very enlightening and wish had been exposed to MBCT long ago. Nothing like retraining our mental processes in our 60's. Staying in the present moment is very hard work indeed. The mind is like a monkey and needs some activity--all the time--it is the nature of the beast.

The monks call it--monkey mind. For fun search--google "monkey mind."

Cheers

I love monks! Before we moved here to the southeast coast we were only an hour and a half to an awesome monastery called Abbey of Gethsame, Monks.org . A fantastic place to be mindful and peaceful. Monkey mind...definitely. It should be an Olympic event. Thanks for the lead to Teasdale, etc. I'll definitely check those out. Have a positive day!

Jeff

Wow so you have to call in?  How do I get the number on my phone?  sheesh it is all too complex.

Once you join the group, you will receive an email, which you give when you sign up.  You will receive a reminder invitation asking is you are going. When you click yes, you will then receive an email with the Zoom link and right below that is some phone numbers. 

That's all the information I have.

Twitch I feel the same.

Having to move or go to asst living or going out when agoraphobic sounds and have horrid depression sounds harder to me than dropping dead.

I'm so sorry, BarbaraAve, I hope things turn out better than we think. xo

It's interesting that all of this comes up because I can really relate. On a good note, I was talking to someone yesterday who has read a lot of research recently about worry, etc. The research showed that almost 98% of the things we worry about never come to pass. That along with some faith and common sense give me some hope. This whole ride can seem so hopeless at times, but we'll see how things pan out. Worry just causes me to have anxiety escalate to new levels, but it's a hard battle. Let's all just plan and prepare the best we can and then let things fall. Bless ya!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

You are correct. And to top it off we have 65K to 80K of thoughts per day-----most repetitive each day. Same old song and dance. Worry worry worry. Back and forth the past and the yet to come.

Yep--the battle. That in itself is what drives our worry. The best explanation I have read is in the books by--John Teasdale, Mark Williams and Zindel Segal. Very enlightening and wish had been exposed to MBCT long ago. Nothing like retraining our mental processes in our 60's. Staying in the present moment is very hard work indeed. The mind is like a monkey and needs some activity--all the time--it is the nature of the beast.

The monks call it--monkey mind. For fun search--google "monkey mind."

Cheers

I love monks! Before we moved here to the southeast coast we were only an hour and a half to an awesome monastery called Abbey of Gethsame, Monks.org . A fantastic place to be mindful and peaceful. Monkey mind...definitely. It should be an Olympic event. Thanks for the lead to Teasdale, etc. I'll definitely check those out. Have a positive day!

Jeff

Great. Found another book shall not overwhelm you.

Shall check out the Gethsame. Typically, I read/Utube--Plum Village tradition (Thich Nhat Hanh). And for a laugh/entertainment listen to the humorous monk from the West Australian Buddhist Society. Plum Village is Zen "lite." The monks/nuns are so very disciplined and young. A few really interesting initiate cerimonies.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa, this "home stretch" sucks!!!! I'm down to 1 mg lorazepam from 6 mg 2 years ago. Withdrawal very smooth until now. How do you separate what is real life agony and stress from what is withdrawal?

Whoa, this "home stretch" sucks!!!! I'm down to 1 mg lorazepam from 6 mg 2 years ago. Withdrawal very smooth until now. How do you separate what is real life agony and stress from what is withdrawal?

It may be hard to do.  What symptoms are you having?  Mary 💜

Total inability to deal with things that are happening - medicare snafus, deciding whether to take SS, anything all accompanied by racing heart.

Total inability to deal with things that are happening - medicare snafus, deciding whether to take SS, anything all accompanied by racing heart.

From what you posted, I would, imo, say that's a good mix of both, but the life symptoms are probably making the w/d symptoms harder to deal with  :(. I would really slow my taper down and let my brain and body heal as much as possible before walking off.  This is a high stress time with the CV, give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to calm as much as possible.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck!  Mary 💜

From what you posted, I would, imo, say that's a good mix of both, but the life symptoms are probably making the w/d symptoms harder to deal with  :(. I would really slow my taper down and let my brain and body heal as much as possible before walking off.  This is a high stress time with the CV, give your brain and central nervous system an opportunity to calm as much as possible.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck!  Mary 💜

Twitch, I'm sure the life events are kicking in extra anxiety, etc. Life events are what made me have to taper so slowly over the years (and continue to do so). Also, I saw online that 1mg of Lorazepam is = 1/2mg of klonopin, so that's still a very significant amount since k is so concentrated. Just make sure that you're still cutting a very small amount at this "low dose". A small amount is still a fairly big amount at this dose range. Everything is temporary, so you'll move through it :)

Take care!

Jeff

• 3 months later...
I worry a lot that I'm going to have dementia. My biggest problem: I can't find the words I'm looking for. After a conversation I'm always like: man, I should have said this or that

I worry a lot that I'm going to have dementia. My biggest problem: I can't find the words I'm looking for. After a conversation I'm always like: man, I should have said this or that

Heck, you're a lot better than a lot of us. I can't even find the words AFTER the conversation! :) Doesn't matter. We can't control the past, so we'll all just do the best we can in this moment and the next few coming up. Today's the first day of the rest of your life!! See ya, Jeff

I applaud you for how far you've come Jeff. I was put on SSRIs in the late 90's but benzos the last 10 years. How's your taper coming? What method?

I applaud you for how far you've come Jeff. I was put on SSRIs in the late 90's but benzos the last 10 years. How's your taper coming? What method?

Like most people, I had lots of challenges at the beginning and a huge learning curve, but some people I met here on BB's were a great help. I've become great friends with several of them off BB's too. I've always dissolved my k pills in a small amount of vodka, added water to 100mL, then made my daily doses for about 5 days or so. I was also put on many med cocktails along the way...SSR's and lots of other goodies. From day one in 1994 I was put on a pretty big dose of Xanax and Prosac and then the fun went on from there. I got off most of them the hard way and tapered my Prosac and then started my klonopin taper (see signature). Lots of fun!! Most docs sure are 100% clueless and have caused serious damage to so many, but we'll all get off this trash and then experience life in a better way. My taper has gone a bit better as I tapered down and it's sure been a long ride. Onwards we go!! Keep hangin' on :)

My best to you.

Jeff

Like most people, I had lots of challenges at the beginning and a huge learning curve, but some people I met here on BB's were a great help. I've become great friends with several of them off BB's too. I've always dissolved my k pills in a small amount of vodka, added water to 100mL, then made my daily doses for about 5 days or so. I was also put on many med cocktails along the way...SSR's and lots of other goodies. From day one in 1994 I was put on a pretty big dose of Xanax and Prosac and then the fun went on from there. I got off most of them the hard way and tapered my Prosac and then started my klonopin taper (see signature). Lots of fun!! Most docs sure are 100% clueless and have caused serious damage to so many, but we'll all get off this trash and then experience life in a better way. My taper has gone a bit better as I tapered down and it's sure been a long ride. Onwards we go!! Keep hangin' on :)

Tell me about it Jeff. I think our generation tends to believe everything doctors tell us. I have nerve pain (fybromyalgia) so my idiot doc puts me on Vicoden, Valium and Gabapentin. I was a walking zombie.

Am wondering if anyone who got off felt better getting off?

I felt better. Definitely. But not at once. Also, I had 2 more drugs to taper -- gabapentin and Ambien. I'd say about a year after I jumped (and finished tapering the other drugs), I felt okay.

Katz

Hey Katz, Glad to see you're still around helping others

My doctor told me the gabapentin caused word retrieval problems. I used to be on a high dose and had that same problem. I am much better on a lower dose. You will be, too.

Thanks Gardener, yes I want to get off of it but first the Valium

• 3 months later...

I am 67and was a long term user at up to 4mg ativan/day for 16 years. My taper was 2 years long, and when cut and hold was down to 5mg/day I began having horrible psychotic symotoms. I was taken to a county hospital in an ambulance, and spent 4 days there where I was kept for observation, but given no benzos. After a struggle with being bedridden for about 8 months, I am now doing considerably well. I have swings in mood where I want to conquer the world for about 2 weeks, then stay in bed listening to audio books for another two weeks. Overall, I am doing better than I ever believed was possib ke. I have hope for the future.

This is such hopeful, positive news!

Congratulations!

Good luck further!

Conafetto

• 1 month later...