Author Topic: Over 60 help and support.  (Read 52125 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Over 60 help and support.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 12:20:45 am »
Thank you for this thread. I'm a 62 yr. old female and 9 weeks free from 20 years of klonopin. I was on 2 mg/ day before I tapered off. The stomach and bowel issues have been the worst. I need to hear stories of [...] from others. I tell myself all the pain is my nervous system trying to heal.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 07:59:49 am »
Thank you. We will all heal. We just need to keep strong and get through one day at a time.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 05:58:11 pm »
Please don't ever concern yourself about "bugging" any doctor. So many of them just don't know, not their fault, they just don't. Please speak up and I wish you major success with the surgery. Cross

Unfortunately, I'm probably the champ in this group of benzo sufferers.  I'm 82 and am 10 months out after 25 years on 2.5 mg/day of clonazepam.  I still have head pressure, dizziness, agitation, variable sleep, light-headedness, chest tightness, air hunger, cog fog, and a few other symptoms I can't recall at the moment (ha, ha).  Currently, I'm worried about dealing with the aftermath of prostate surgery scheduled for the end of August at the Mayo Clinic.  Should I try to prevent the use of benzo anesthetics?  The Ashton manual suggests that a single exposure to such anesthetics won't cause problems but others have claimed to have been adversely affected in such cases.  I hesitate to bug the Mayo docs about this because I'm sure they follow the best practices and I wouldn't want them to degrade their procedures for what might be a mistaken concern.  Also, I wonder if the stress of the surgery itself could precipitate a resurgence of withdrawal symptoms.  I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with experience regarding these issues.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:28 pm »
Another thing that I find helpful is Don Killian's website Merry Joyous and Free.
He is a Benzo survivor in his sixties who posts uplifting videos almost daily.
He is worth a look.

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:06 pm »
Hi all . I'm 63 and am into my seventh week off Ativan ... after 40 years .. !
I have lost most of my adult life to Ativan , and have to try very hard not to be angry about this. I need to take some responsibility for it , but in my defence had no idea the damage it was doing . Was put on it way back when they thought there was no long term side effects.. . can only look forward to the future now ..BB xx

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:40 pm »
Inspiring everybody!  Thanks for posting here. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 08:08:52 pm »
As each day passes we move one step closer to wellness and happiness.
Stay strong.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 05:29:10 pm »
How wonderful to see so many in our age group who took the plunge to get off these horrible meds.  I'm 64 and still tapering but getting closer to the end.  I do not have a long history with ativan but it sure got its claws in me in a short time.
I met a dr at an anxiety and depression seminar who says she refuses to prescribe benzos as they "are just too dangerous." 

Someone asked earlier about benzos for surgery.  If you are concerned just state you do not want them.  There are many non-benzo anesthetic agents that can be used instead.  My favorite is propofol.  It is short acting, very effective and doesn't leave you hung over for hours.  (I'm a nurse who does conscious sedation.)

Good luck to everyone.

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 05:36:53 pm »
Thanks [...]. That is good to know.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 08:32:39 pm »
[...] I am not quite finished tapering at less than 1mg Valium. My major difficuly is with [...] issues too. It impacts my life every day and I get very discouraged. I am 72 yrs young and enjoy going to the gym but 26yrs of benzo use has destroyed my bowel. I too am looking forwarx to this getting better. It helps to know that we are not alone. Sure [...] it gets better.