Over 60 help and support.

[Li...]

Hi everyone

I am 61 ( can hardly believe it )  I was thinking that it would be good to talk to people who are 60 or over to see if we have similar symptoms/ problems etc.

I know that we shouldn't really compare because everyone is different but I think that it would be interesting.

I suppose that I am also worried about going through this horrible experience at 61.

Any thoughts or feelings would be great!

Thanks

Liz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ba...]

• [Ma...]

• [or...]

• [Fi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 65 and getting close to the end of my taper. In your signature lines it looks like you are done tapering and not taking benzos, is that right?

I'm 63 and am 31.5 months out.  Still in it with six symptoms.  Much better than I was, but not done yet.

Sofa

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I had my last Diazepam of 1mg about November 2016 . I was on Sertaline too which I tapered too quickly. I had no idea or I would have stayed on the Sertaline( Zoloft) longer.

What are your symptoms?

Unfortunately, I'm probably the champ in this group of benzo sufferers.  I'm 82 and am 10 months out after 25 years on 2.5 mg/day of clonazepam.  I still have head pressure, dizziness, agitation, variable sleep, light-headedness, chest tightness, air hunger, cog fog, and a few other symptoms I can't recall at the moment (ha, ha).  Currently, I'm worried about dealing with the aftermath of prostate surgery scheduled for the end of August at the Mayo Clinic.  Should I try to prevent the use of benzo anesthetics?  The Ashton manual suggests that a single exposure to such anesthetics won't cause problems but others have claimed to have been adversely affected in such cases.  I hesitate to bug the Mayo docs about this because I'm sure they follow the best practices and I wouldn't want them to degrade their procedures for what might be a mistaken concern.  Also, I wonder if the stress of the surgery itself could precipitate a resurgence of withdrawal symptoms.  I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with experience regarding these issues.

Hi

I don't have experience of this but I would definitely ask the doctors not to give you a Benzo if they don't have to. Doctors don't know as much as we give them credit for and have no real idea about what Benzo withdrawal Hell really means.

This is just my opinion though. I wouldn't want to do anything that might make this worse. Good luck with whatever you decide is best.

Klono,

I'm sorry you are suffering with this withdrawal.  Your concerns about pre-surgery benzos are valid.  My son-in-law is an MD, an anesthesiologist.  He no longer uses benzos in his practice because of what happened to me.  He said that pre-surgery benzos are unnecessary and are used to make the patient calm and sleepy before putting them under.  As you have read around the forum, some people have no problems with a one time pre-surgery benzo, but others do experience a reaction.  Ultimately, you should raise your concerns with the anesthesiologist, giving him/her your benzo history, and then decide what is best for you.  Remember that this is your body and your life and medical personnel are consultants.  They can recommend, but they cannot override your wishes.  So many people forget this, especially people who are older and of a generation who did whatever the doctors wanted, never questioning their knowledge and expertise.  We have all discovered that this way of thinking on our part is what got us here in the first place, blind faith and trust that doctors "know best."

This journey should have taught all of us that we are in charge because we, not the doctors, have to live with the consequences.

Good luck,

Sofa

I like that last reply....we have to suffer the consequences....

I am 64 and am tapering.....after being on Ativan for 32 years.

I am 63 years old, and 39 months CT. I am so much better than I was the first few years, The first year was pure hell, but slowly things gradually fade way, I had 21 symptoms and now about 6 left but to a much lesser intensity.

Can I ask what helps you to cope?

What is your best bit if advice?

Thanks

As I have said EFT helps me and telling myself that other people have had healed, in fact thousands of them have. If other people can heal then we can too.

:)

Liz,

You try every non-med coping skill you hear about and pick the ones that give you even a bit of relief.  Put them in your tool box and pull them out every day.  Practicing daily is key.  The more you use the tools, the better they work.  It's not magic.  It's practice.  What works for one person may do nothing for another.  Find what works for you, even if you get nothing but a few moments of breather.  Build on the relief you get until it grows.

Sofa

Hi want to get into this thread.  I'm 60 and you can see from my signature where I am in this process..

I figure that the remaining years will be waaaaay better off this stuff...

I am trying to raise my bdnf _ brain derived neurotrophic factor by walking as much as possible and eating more blueberries, salmon,yogurt , probiotics, fish oil etc.

The theory is that this will help new nerve cells to develop faster. I personally think that this would only be a good thing.

You can look up YouTube for Neurogenesis or BDNF to find out more.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thank you for this thread. I'm a 62 yr. old female and 9 weeks free from 20 years of klonopin. I was on 2 mg/ day before I tapered off. The stomach and bowel issues have been the worst. I need to hear stories of healing from others. I tell myself all the pain is my nervous system trying to heal.

Please don't ever concern yourself about "bugging" any doctor. So many of them just don't know, not their fault, they just don't. Please speak up and I wish you major success with the surgery. Cross

Unfortunately, I'm probably the champ in this group of benzo sufferers.  I'm 82 and am 10 months out after 25 years on 2.5 mg/day of clonazepam.  I still have head pressure, dizziness, agitation, variable sleep, light-headedness, chest tightness, air hunger, cog fog, and a few other symptoms I can't recall at the moment (ha, ha).  Currently, I'm worried about dealing with the aftermath of prostate surgery scheduled for the end of August at the Mayo Clinic.  Should I try to prevent the use of benzo anesthetics?  The Ashton manual suggests that a single exposure to such anesthetics won't cause problems but others have claimed to have been adversely affected in such cases.  I hesitate to bug the Mayo docs about this because I'm sure they follow the best practices and I wouldn't want them to degrade their procedures for what might be a mistaken concern.  Also, I wonder if the stress of the surgery itself could precipitate a resurgence of withdrawal symptoms.  I'd appreciate feedback from anyone with experience regarding these issues.

Another thing that I find helpful is Don Killian's website Merry Joyous and Free.

He is a Benzo survivor in his sixties who posts uplifting videos almost daily.

He is worth a look.

Hi all . I'm 63 and am into my seventh week off Ativan ... after 40 years .. !

I have lost most of my adult life to Ativan , and have to try very hard not to be angry about this. I need to take some responsibility for it , but in my defence had no idea the damage it was doing . Was put on it way back when they thought there was no long term side effects.. . can only look forward to the future now ..BB xx