Anxiety after jumping off

[cu...]

This may have been asked once before, but I don't feel like dredging the threads anymore  ;) Soooo I want to pick everybody's brains about how they felt panic/anxiety-wise after they jumped off the benzo, right afterwards, days and months later. Part of me wants to hang on to my many bottles of Ativan (I never took it as directed and I kept refilling and keeping the bottles in case of Apocalypse LOL) and part of me which is probably the wiser part of me, wants to pitch them.

I'm a little concerned my panic will be worse after I jump off next week and I don't want to be tempted to take an ativan, though I'm disciplined enough not to continue if I ever did. I'm on day 4 of .25 cut from .5 and I'm feeling pretty good, yesterday I was very irritable and slightly anxious but today I'm feeling wonderful.

I'm staying home until my taper is done, which I've read that's a very common thing to do, so as to avoid our panic triggers that might make us want more of our pills.

Well, that all depends on how strong you are feeling. I know it's tempting to hang on to them just in case. I hung on to my klon bottles for months after my taper. Not because I was tempted in any way to take them, but I kept thinking I may need them someday if something horrible happens to me or to a loved one where I just HAVE to take a sedative ASAP!  :laugh:

I finally chucked 'em.

It really is best to dump them. If you've done a sensible taper, there is no need to hang on to them. Yes, your panic may increase a little, early on. But if you keep reaching for a pill, you will never be able to leave them behind completely. A decision you must make for yourself!     

Cupcake,

I can understand your feeling...in case of emergency.  All I can tell you is when I am done, I am done.

Best of luck!

in my opinion I still think that .25 is to high to come off at.  but you won't know till you try.  it is your anxiety and need to move on with your life that wants you to stop right now.  it's your wanting to be done with it and start healing without the pills. but you have to keep in mind that it's really not up to you it;s up to your CNS pretty much.  believe I've been there.  that's why i did a rapid taper from klonopin 1 mg for five years off in three weeks didn't feel any withdrawal for 7 days and then 3 months of complete straight hell.  and i was to stubborn to take another pill.  to reinstate to do water triation or to switch to valium.  nothing i was in absolute hell for three months pushing.  but it doesn't have to be and shouldn't be done this way.  IT"S NOT HEALTHY.  you have to put your pride aside right now.  and try to search for all the patients you can find. believe me.  I'm playing this game again.  I'm on Valium have been down to 4 mg's twice now and had to go back to 4.5 twice now due to not giving myself enough time. 

I want to be over with this.  I want to enjoy my spring and not have to cut these Valium pill or even look at them anymore.  BUT I also do not want to do anymore damage to my cns and I want to be done and stay done with least side effects as possible.  So I'm going to stick with the plan and cut .5 mg's every week and not stray from the plan.

I know i am in a different situation than you.  I have a protracted withdrawal  so i have to be a lot more careful.  but for you I'm just telling you to keep in mind that if you want to come off at this dose and are unsuccessful you have other options to make more cuts from there and or taper lower than .25.  your not stuck at that dose. 

Ativan is what caused my relapse.  I took them sporadically for a few weeks and do to my protracted withdrawal became addicted to benzos again.  and do to it's low half life killed me.  it's normal to feel fine at that dose.  I felt great at 5 mg's of valium which is .5 mg's of ativan.  but I could NEVER come off at that dose.  I would hands down no questions asked be admitted to the hospital.  that how drastic it can be.  I'm just giving you some advice.  I'm on your side.  just trying to inform you.  because other than this website no one else will.

take care,

click

Thanks for your help an support, to everyone that's responded to my questions :). I've decided to go 5 days with .25 and cut down to .125 before jumping off. If I don't feel right after that I'll reinstate for a few days then cut at .0625.

If I wouldn't have found this place, I would have followed advice from people, dr's and pharmacists and jumped off at .5 mgs and might have found myself in Hell!

I think you wil have great success with this aproach.  In my opinion that sounds excellent.  you'll just know.  you know what i'm saying.  if you feel good it's not going to hurt to be on it a little longer.  As long as your making your cuts.  and the flip side jumping off to soon is just to great a risk.  IMO GREAT PLAN!  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that all depends on how strong you are feeling. I know it's tempting to hang on to them just in case. I hung on to my klon bottles for months after my taper. Not because I was tempted in any way to take them, but I kept thinking I may need them someday if something horrible happens to me or to a loved one where I just HAVE to take a sedative ASAP!  :laugh:

I finally chucked 'em.

It really is best to dump them. If you've done a sensible taper, there is no need to hang on to them. Yes, your panic may increase a little, early on. But if you keep reaching for a pill, you will never be able to leave them behind completely. A decision you must make for yourself!     

so anxiety can increase get worse while weaning ok that hard part then not to grab that benzo to pull you out of it.