Has anyone tried the "want a panic attack and you won't have one" thingy?

[cu...]

I read on one of those self-help sites dedicated to helping people with panic attacks, that making yourself want a panic attack to happen will keep you from having one. Has anyone tried this? I want to do this after I'm done with this benzo (I'm going to tackle one hurdle at a time) but as much as I think I want to try this, I don't think I can want a panic attack.

I hate them and fear them so much, though I know it won't kill me, but neither will childbirth but I really really don't like it and never want to go through another one.

I read on one of those self-help sites dedicated to helping people with panic attacks, that making yourself want a panic attack to happen will keep you from having one. Has anyone tried this? I want to do this after I'm done with this benzo (I'm going to tackle one hurdle at a time) but as much as I think I want to try this, I don't think I can want a panic attack.

I hate them and fear them so much, though I know it won't kill me, but neither will childbirth but I really really don't like it and never want to go through another one.

I've not tried it, cupcake, but I remember similar advise about crying.  When I was working and quite depressed for a long time, I became afraid of bursting into tears at a meeting or something and humiliating myself.  My therapist told me to try to cry instead of being afraid of it and it worked for me.  :thumbsup:

I have panic attacks quite often. I don't need to "want" one to happen. I don't need to "encourage" them in any way.  ;)

It worked for me......big time.  When I felt an attack coming on I would say "bring it on".  I would try and relax my entire body and accept what was happening.  It definately shortened the attack or would totally stop it in its track.  You have to work on this method.

Patty  xo

It worked for me......big time.  When I felt an attack coming on I would say "bring it on".  I would try and relax my entire body and accept what was happening.  It definately shortened the attack or would totally stop it in its track.  You have to work on this method.

Patty  xo

i can understand this completely.  there are other members that practice this method and have great success with if.  i think it makes complete sense.  you almost have to do something like this.  you have to fight!!

I suppose I could practice at home, do something to trigger an attack and then try to stop it by telling it to "bring it on" and try to really want it.

I would start by maybe going to the library or a public park any quiet public place.  and just practice it out.  since you have a bit of agoraphobia right now. you can fight it out at a somewhat quiet public place.  trying to scare yourself or upset yourslef right now might not be so good you need to heal. 

OH yes, I meant after I jump off LOL. I need to conquer one beast at a time that's for sure. I tried going somewhere in the car the other day and ended up in tears and feeling so defeated..it was nearly a setback for me.

don't be to upset about it.  you'll get a "window" where you'll feel great and be able to get out there and see the world in calmness.  8)

I'm beginning to see that I don't have to be afraid anymore! I walked to a friends house today, and visited for 45 mins...went home and jumped in the car and drove around town.  I didn't even come close to having a panic attack.

I have learned through advice from this site, and others, that I have to fight the fear of fear, accept what I feel is the body's normal responses to stress, and to just RELAX!! And so what if I have a panic attack? It will go away. But I'm still taking baby steps LOL!