Steady as she goes

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all the people who welcomed me when I joined the group. I had some trouble learning to post messages properly but some of the administrators were very helpful and patient getting me started. I am now 2 1/2 free of Valium. I know this has a long half-life, but I'm nearly certain that the drug has, by now, left my blood stream. I know that I am continuing to heal. Often times, I feel healthier and happier than I have for a long time. Often times though, when I'm faced with stress, I go right back into having withdrawal. I continue to have tremors, hot flashes, breathlessness, rapid heartbeat. Especially troublesome for me is the nerve pain. Sometimes, I get that awful tingly pain in my head and scalp, and it really makes me feel as if I'm on fire.

In addition to the Benzos I took, I continue to take a small amount of Mirtazapine and Melatonin for help with sleep. I've been concerned that these two may not be a good mix. I see that there is a board for people with concerns about other medications, so I may post to that one with questions about these.

My heart goes out to all of you who are suffering as I am. I have read many of the posts, and I feel so much in common with what everyone is saying. I don't have experience being on large doses of any meds (my nervous system is naturally sensitive to these) but I do have experience knowing how certain ones can affect moods. If anyone has any concerns or issues with meds such as Mirtazapine, Melatonin, etc. feel free to ask me and I'll try to help as best I can.

God bless,

Pangelingua

Hi Pauline,

I noticed your Benzo history. I too had a slow taper considering the amount I was taking. Do you know about the Ashton method? This is what I used. The Benzo that started my addiction was Clonazepam. I started substituting Diazepam in Jan of last year. From Jan-May, the taper went well until I hit 2mg. I started experiencing w/d at that stage and had to increase to 2.5mg. The rest of the taper was pretty slow. I didn't take my last dose until Feb 16. I remember how frustrated I felt. I began to realize that any w/d I experienced was temporary and there were always times when I felt "normal". I understand your frustration. I have read that "too slow" a taper is better than "too fast". Any reduction you can do and maintain is a triumph for you.

How does it feel now that I've stopped? So far, not too much different. There are times when I feel "normal" and other times when stress seems to put me back into w/d. Again, this is always temporary and there are lots of techniques I've learned to use to deal with this. I am going to start making more posts to the Faith & Philosophy board so you can look for these. One thing I've noticed is that my outlook on life is much happier and so any w/d I feel is balanced by this.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Pangelingua

Hi Pangelingua

Thanks for the post, it does help, I am finding  it hard at the moment, but am going to do smaller cuts but more often, so as not to shock the system too much, my brain might not realize whats happening LOL I have only managed to cut .3mls this last month and Ive really struggled most days.

I know we all look forward to getting off these pills, but do realize that the healing has to carry on for quite a while after, but at least you are over the worst, and things can only get better . I did have a good day yesterday so will be grateful for that . Will let you know how things go this week.

Luv Pauline

OK Pauline.

So glad to hear you had a good day. Rejoice in these!!

I'll look for your posting in a week.

Take care,

Pangelingua