strained calf muscle

[te...]

I went jogging yesterday and my calf muscle started to hurt a little, but I just kept going and finished my run. This morning, I went jogging again, and for the first mile it was okay, but then it started hurting again. I kept going, but at 1.7 miles I finally had to stop. I came home and iced it and stretched it, but now it really hurts and I'm afraid that I strained it. Has this ever happened to anyone and how long does it take to get better? Going to the park for walks and runs has become one of my favorite things to do... if I can't do it anymore I will be so miserable...

I went jogging yesterday and my calf muscle started to hurt a little, but I just kept going and finished my run. This morning, I went jogging again, and for the first mile it was okay, but then it started hurting again. I kept going, but at 1.7 miles I finally had to stop. I came home and iced it and stretched it, but now it really hurts and I'm afraid that I strained it. Has this ever happened to anyone and how long does it take to get better? Going to the park for walks and runs has become one of my favorite things to do... if I can't do it anymore I will be so miserable...

For muscle strains it's best to alternate ice and heat. Ice for the inflammation and heat to relax the muscle. I'm sorry you had this happen. Have you been running regularly? If not, your might have overdone it, I've done this myself. Not so much with running, which I actually hate, but with cycling.  Several times I went far more miles than my muscles were ready for. 

Rest it a bit and you'll find it eases up.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thanks pianogirl. I just started jogging a couple of weeks ago, so I am still a beginner. I will try the ice and heat and rest and hope for the best. Thank you again.