Ad in Metro News Toronto: "Recreational sedative users" sought for study

[La...]

A friend of mine sent me a picture of an advertisement in the free daily newspaper called Metro News (Toronto version). It's from INC Research at studies4u.com, and it seeks male and female adults, 18-55 years old, who are "recreational sedative users" and near the bottom of the ad, it defines "sedative" as Valium, Xanax or Benzodiazepines. It gives some details about the amount of time required, and then below that, it states, "You will be compensated up to $11,545 for participation." The accompany photo features a 20-something cool-looking guy with a moustache, beard, knit black cap and jean jacket.

Frankly, I'm not sure what to make of it. I do wonder what they're studying. One thing I find very odd is that an ad such as this one doesn't reflect an awareness that Valium and Xanax are types of benzodiazepines. Also, it's confusing to leave out the other commonly prescribed benzos, such as clonazepam (Rivotril, Klonopin) and lorazepam (Ativan).

Here's the link to the page where you'll find two different studies listed -- both requiring participants. It's not clear at all what they're studying and what type of medication someone might be required to take. You'd probably have to call for more details.

http://www.studies4u.com/current-studies/ 

Thanks Lapis,

I think I'll decline.  :laugh:  Not enough money in the world would make take that crap again. 

As you know, most don't take it "recreationally".  They are are prescribed it (PRN) by their highly attuned doctors within pharmacological guidance of their drug overlords. 

Hi babyrex,

I doubt the plan would be to give people more benzos, but they might be testing another medication instead. It's hard to tell, though. I think they're looking for people who get the benzos outside of the doctor's office, i.e. on the street, on the internet, stolen from someone else or given to them by someone else. The picture of the cool dude makes it seem like they're gearing this ad to young people who experiment -- and have access to -- various kinds of substances.

There's no amount of money in the world that would make me want to be a test subject for ANY medication! WAAAAY too much risk for my liking.