Resist

[ba...]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/stevie-nicks-talks-drugs-men-aging-fleetwood-macs-future-w470914

Start fighting back folks.  No more suicides.  Lost jobs and homes.  No more drugged toddlers and babies, elderly and infirm.  Come on guys!  This is a grass roots effort!  If Stevie Nicks still has the balls to stand up against big pharma and the drug dealers that push their poisons, so do you! 

Love you all,

:smitten:

The article doesn't say much about how Stevie Nicks is feeling now. Is she well? It seems she's functional because she's touring, but I'd love to know how she feels.

"Stevie Nicks doesn't have much sympathy for peers who are aging less gracefully than her. "I see lots of people my age, and lots of people who are younger than me, and I think, 'Wow, those people look really old,'" she tells Rolling Stone. "I think it's because they didn't try."

After this unbelievably insensitive intro, I decided she didn't have too much to say to me personally.

We all have to fight, the tide is turning ...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really hope so LF.  And it doesn't need to be on a huge scale.  People just need to be vocal with family, friends and their local medical communities.  Never shut up!  :laugh:

The article doesn't say much about how Stevie Nicks is feeling now. Is she well? It seems she's functional because she's touring, but I'd love to know how she feels.

I think she is doing well Lapis, and has been for years.  But she's got an axe to grind, and quite righteously.  She claims she lost eight years to these poisons, but it's unclear whether it was all from withdrawal or discontinuation syndrome. 

She is touring and will be in Ravinia (IL) this summer.  She is a fellow benzodiazepine survivor, and I am so proud of her for continuing to educate the public about these very dangerous medications. 

"Stevie Nicks doesn't have much sympathy for peers who are aging less gracefully than her. "I see lots of people my age, and lots of people who are younger than me, and I think, 'Wow, those people look really old,'" she tells Rolling Stone. "I think it's because they didn't try."

After this unbelievably insensitive intro, I decided she didn't have too much to say to me personally.

Hi SheWhoMust,

Here is the entire quote:

"How do you feel about turning 70 in two years?

I don't like that number. I see lots of people my age, and lots of people who are younger than me, and I think, "Wow, those people look really old." I think it's because they didn't try. If you want to stay young, you have to make an effort. If I wanna walk onstage in a short chiffon skirt and not look completely age-inappropriate, I have to make that happen. Or you just throw in the towel and let your hair turn white and look like a frumpy old woman. I'm never gonna go there."

I'm going to have to with Stevie Nicks on this one.  No frumpy for me.  No way. Well,  not as long as I can help it.  :laugh:

Hugs,

Hi SheWhoMust,

Here is the entire quote:

"How do you feel about turning 70 in two years?

I don't like that number. I see lots of people my age, and lots of people who are younger than me, and I think, "Wow, those people look really old." I think it's because they didn't try. If you want to stay young, you have to make an effort. If I wanna walk onstage in a short chiffon skirt and not look completely age-inappropriate, I have to make that happen. Or you just throw in the towel and let your hair turn white and look like a frumpy old woman. I'm never gonna go there."

I'm going to have to with Stevie Nicks on this one.  No frumpy for me.  No way. Well,  not as long as I can help it.  :laugh:

Hugs,

There is a wide gap between coloring your hair and staying up to date with the fashion world and going the extreme plastic surgery route and being inordinately focused on looking younger.  Just how much is "trying hard enough?"  Holding women to an unachievable standard of youth and attractiveness is a damaging lie right up there with the benzo lies.  But I don't want to hijack this thread, so will say that yes, Stevie Nicks has been very vocal about her drug use and struggles staying clean.  Bringing this sort of public attention to the benzo problem is only a good thing.

She

I think it's a big waste of emotional energy to work on finding ways to resent somebody who got well and is speaking up.  It's like the thing about crabs trying to climb out of the pot and the ones who are almost making it finding themselves being dragged back by the ones underneath.

I appreciate the fact that she talks about this, but that is really all she is doing as far as I know. She is a celebrity so people seek her out for interviews. I would bet that most of us would so the same thing if we had millions of people who were interested in hearing what we have to say. I don't think that takes much "balls".

She had the balls to do what it takes to get well and move on. It is simply not fair for people to try to compare what somebody like Stevie Nicks has done or not done to what they IMAGINE or like to think they would do to help others if they were ever to get well themselves.