Author Topic: Unreality and extreme anxiety  (Read 3035 times)

[Buddie]

Unreality and extreme anxiety
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »
I have had many bad evenings this week. Anxiety starts increasing around 6pm and i get these horrible feelings of unreality/disorientation. I feel like i'm not at home, even tho i know very well that i am. Just a feeling that i'm somewhere else and this freaks me out. Try to watch tv or do something to distract but the feeling is often so intense that nothing helps. Anyone else experiencing this?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Unreality and extreme anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »
I remember a time when I thought I had become invisible.  :o  I was convinced I had no substance, had become pure spirit.  Definitely creepy.

There's thread on this Anxiety board called Derealisation and Depersonalization.  Check it out:
http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=10323.0
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:03:16 am »
Derealization used to scare the crap out of me, and that actually would be the trigger of my panic attacks when I would go anywhere. I learned that it's the body's way of dealing with the anxiety and it's perfectly natural...but it can be a side effect of certain medications..so on and so forth.

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:41 am »
what's your support/family situation like.  I feel if you are alone the more likely you experience this.  but you can always pick up the phone and call a loved one if you have someone.   being around loved ones made a world of difference for me.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:08:22 am »
what's your support/family situation like.  I feel if you are alone the more likely you experience this.  but you can always pick up the phone and call a loved one if you have someone.   being around loved ones made a world of difference for me.

Sometimes it helps to have people around, but if my depersonalization/derealization is very bad, i actually find being alone the easiest. Its a long story, but i think lots of my anxiety and other symptoms come from my childhood (parents having issues and i felt i didnt have any peace at home those days, and now having my own flat i cherish the opportunity to be at peace and most importantly be in control about the way i live and be).

We all have a different kind of story that has led us here, and one can never totally relate to what another person is going trough. And in my case there's also the language barrier  :D, its quite difficult to explain some of this stuff in my native language and in english i sometimes struggle big time! Anyway, its great to have you guys out there to comment and give feedback, so a really big thank you for that  :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »
I ofter feel like the lkights are on and no one is home! Sometimes I feel like no lights are on and no one is home! lol! It is an aweful feeling!

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 01:06:35 am »
It's good to read on this subject, and understand it more so it doesn't scare you. It can be the result of an over stimulated mind, kind of a defense mechanism where your brain just pulls its head in like a turtle, as I've heard it put before.  It's nothing to be afraid of and it's a very natural response to the stress of the mind. Being as you are withdrawing from a benzo and that is stressing your mind especially if you have rebound anxiety from the withdraw and tapering.

Just thought I'd share...it can be scary and hard to deal with but after you understand it and lose your fear it WILL go away.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:26:40 am »
[...] and [...],
Thank you so much for posting about this. My panic attacks started in my early 20's and they always began because of dr/dp. I just recently, through withdrawal and this board have come to realize its about over stimulation and defense. This is huge [...] - when you know what it is the power gets taken away. Please give it a go, and think about it from that point of view, I think you will find it helps tremendously. It has made all the difference to me and I hope to carry the skill with me after I'm all done tapering and healing because I know it will crop up again at some point. No one has ever, in all these years explained it me like this. If they only had - I probably wouldn't have gone on a benzo! Best to you.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:43:28 am »
I generally get a rush of dr then panic sets in, however it's always when I'm somewhere else, other than home..though I've had a bit of it after my taper was finished, lasted about 3 days and boy I hated it but when it was gone, everything looked so clear.

Its been said that dr/dp doesn't cause panic, it's a byproduct of the anxiety/panic...and when I analyze my situation I do notice that I'm rather anxious as I step into the store, or even before I get out of my car...then I go in the store and BOOM I feel weird, unreality until I start to leave...funny, it's over with before I leave LOL.

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:34:41 am »
Mine never happens at home either and I imagine that if it did that would be hard. And now that you mention it, I guess there is some dr before the panic - I'm not even sure because I've been repressing dr/dp for so long. I thought I was nuts for quite a few years and never analyzed it. But now that I started looking deeper, I'm looking forward to putting a lot of it behind me.

There were times I would walk into the food store and this feeling of being naked would hit me. I would actually look at myself to check! But then I couldn't trust my eyes because of the "invisible" feeling and just keep walking hoping for the best - I figured if anyone stared I'd know why  :laugh:. I'm strange, I know. :)