Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Hi Rocko

Thanks for the update.  My husband is going in for colonoscopy and I will ask them to check for the H pylori.  We think he is having some diverticulitis issues but good information to keep in mind.

Glad you are having some Up days!  Isn't it wonderful to just have the taper behind us and the days of feeling well seem to increase each month.

HEY we are at 3000 posts!!

Mimi

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rocko

Thanks for the update.  My husband is going in for colonoscopy and I will ask them to check for the H pylori.  We think he is having some diverticulitis issues but good information to keep in mind.

Glad you are having some Up days!  Isn't it wonderful to just have the taper behind us and the days of feeling well seem to increase each month.

HEY we are at 3000 posts!!

Mimi

Congrats Mimi on being the 3000th post :yippee:.  I don't know if the thread will last through the summer once I'm gone next month but 300 pages and 3000 replies has gotta be a record :).  It'll be up to the rest of the post benzo pepes to keep the streak alive :laugh:.  We're almost up to 70,000 views too ;).  I think quite a few buddies must read the thread but not post to it.

I don't know if you recall that I had a colonoscopy a couple months ago.  The propofol worked out well for me.  I had no pre sedatives (needless to say :pokey:;)).

V

Hi V;  I think the coaching of your son's team might have helped you confirm more benzo healing.  Might be the end result of benzo tapering and healing is to challenge ourselves for the bigger task and see how we handle the stress of it.  You are doing very well and that is inspiring for us all.    I guess my trip to PR is my big challenge post benzo.  I hope to fare well -- it's the long flight and unexpected that makes it the big challenge for me.  ...even though it is supposed to be a vacation!!

Sunnygirl;

As a result of an endoscopy/colonscopy in 2005 (not on benzos at all), I was confirmed with gastritis and H pylori infection.  I tried two different times to take the antibiotic treatment (tetracycline, pepto bismo, and prilosec), but both times I had burning and tingling in my legs and butt, so would stop mid-way through the two weeks. Bes regards to all,

Rocko

Hey Rocko,

That's interesting that the treatment for H Pylori is prilosec and two weeks of tetracycline.  I have been taking tetracycline for the past 12 days, subsequent to a sinus infection I got when I flew back from CA two weeks ago.  I also take prilosec every other day and sometimes zantac on off days.  I guess if I had it, I'm being treated for it as a bonus for the sinus infection ;)

As for the coaching, it has been a challenge.  On a number of occasions particularly after a close late afternoon game, I've had very high adrenalin surges which have made it very difficult to fall asleep sometimes.  In our last game, for example, I went to bed about 5 hours after the game ended, tossed and turned and couldn't stop ruminating about different plays, different outcomes, plays for the next week...  This has happened a number of times and I can't seem to stop it.  I try mindfulness and observe and try not to get too "excited" about it, but it's a little bit off putting. It's almost like a fight/flight mechanism goes off kilter for several hours.  Maybe not surprising since the game can be viewed as a type of battle, but I think it's an over reaction on the part of my CNS.  The fact that I have been able to coach the games and run practices has been a boost to my confidence though.  I just wish I didn't get so riled up after each game.  Anyway, the season is almost over.  Hopefully we'll make the playoffs!

Sounds like you're gearing up for you big trip.  I know about the stress of long flights.  Fortunately, as long as I don't get a sinus infection, they don't bother me much.  It's just the jet lag that can be a problem for me.  Will there be much time change from where you are flying?  Do you have any back up plan for adjusting to the time change?

Best,

Vertigo

Strange thing happened last night. I'm on day 12 of a 14 day course of antibiotics.  Last night I had one of the worst sinus headaches I've had in a long time.  My forehead and eyes were throbbing, almost like it was a migraine.  I wonder if that was in some way a sign that the antibiotic is reaching those areas high up or could it mean that the antibiotic is not working?  I have a history of chronic sinus infections.  This thing started 2 weeks ago after a flight.  A few days after I got back, it felt like a cold and the drainage was not clear (i.e., yellow/green).  Within a week, the nasal passages cleared but I still felt a bit blocked up in the forehead area (full but not painful). By the way, when I fly, I sometimes get these sharp knife like pains in my forehead and eyes upon landing.  Any opinions?  Can one take 2 weeks of antibiotics and still have sinus infection in the forehead and eye area?

Thanks,

Vertigo

Just forgot to say.I reada lot of books but wasalways confused, didn't know what to do, where tostart or how to put thingsI learnin book to real life.I needed someone to help.I found therapy. Marry :smitten:

Glad the therapy has helped you, Marry :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

Hi V;

You're almost done with tetracycline but wondering if it worked as a treatment?  Sinus infections can be real buggers to treat.  I used to get them too, after a bad cold.  I never took tetracycline for them, but have used doxycyclamine and clindamyacin.  Oh, I was taking tetracycline for a bad tooth that needed a root canal.  And I got strep throat while on the tetracycline.  Go figure...

Hope your sinuses clear up good and fast.  I do use a nasal rinse every am and that really helps keep it all in check. 

I hear you about our brains going into overtime after a "mind tracking" day.  I play "Words with Friends" with several people.  Last nite, my brain was making up words in combinations and I couldn't stop it.  Made my sleep pretty rough last nite.  Might have to stop playing that game until the brain is more fully healed???

Best regards to you,

Rocko

Hi Rocko.

I've been using Doxycycline which I believe is a tetracycline antibiotic, almost done with 14 days.  I hadn't been on it probably since I was a teenager so I figure it might work well for me now, whereas I've been on Amoxycillin or Augmentin more times than i can count in the last ten or fifteen years.  I think it is working by virtue of having clear drainage.  However, the forehead and eye area might be harder to reach, don't know.  I have to fly in a month or two and figured it would be best to try and get cleared out as much as possible.  My ENT was always concerned about me flying with any sign of a cold or sinus problem.  I usually take sudafed or Afrin before flying.  Sudafed clears the forehead/eye area better than Afrin which seems to only help the nasal passages.  My ENT told me to use either one before flying but for some silly reason, I used neither on both my flights to and from CA a few weeks ago.

Sounds like those word games could be getting you riled up at night.  Might be a good idea to give it a rest for a while...

Cheers,

Vertigo

I'm looking for more post benzo stories of healing, setbacks, whatever is happening...

Vertigo

Hi Friends-

Heading in to my 18th month and feeling better all the time.  Just wanted to stop by and say hi to my post-Benzo buddies.

There is no doubt that the last 18 months have been the most challenging of my entire life-  but the vets are so right:  Life is Sweet on the other side.

Vertigo-  you know how very ill I was one year ago.  You (and others here)  were so wonderful and supportive.  What an amazing blessing to heal every day.

Love you guys.  Wishing everyone healing.

Becca

Hi Friends-

Heading in to my 18th month and feeling better all the time.  Just wanted to stop by and say hi to my post-Benzo buddies.

There is no doubt that the last 18 months have been the most challenging of my entire life-  but the vets are so right:  Life is Sweet on the other side.

Vertigo-  you know how very ill I was one year ago.  You (and others here)  were so wonderful and supportive.  What an amazing blessing to heal every day.

Love you guys.  Wishing everyone healing.

Becca

Congrats on 18 months out, Becca :yippee:.  Wow, time flies. I do remember your struggles and it's great to hear a success story.  Thanks for updating us here. 

Hugs,

Vertigo

Well, I had a very good night's sleep last night.  Got to bed around 11:00PM and slept a solid 6 hours, the difference being that it felt like I was in a deeper phase of sleep, more dreamy when I awoke.  I took no melatonin or other medications other than an antibiotic around 10PM.  The sinus infection seems to be gone. Today is day 14 of a two week course.  I've reported on another thread about some adrenalin surges I've gotten during some of the games I coach my son's sport's team.  Only a few games left, assuming we make the playoffs :).  I think it's been a good experience and I'm glad that I did put myself out there.  What good is healing if one is in an isolated coccoon!

Vertigo

V,

I will ask when you turned your corner did it just happen on it's own?  I'm 20 months out and my anxiety and dealing with life seems to be getting worse instead of better. When I got of my anti-depressant 5 months ago I was hit with this monophobia.   I'm wondering if getting off the antidepressant has caused me to go backwards.  I thought by 5 months off the antidepressant I would be starting to feel better but I just feel like I'm slipping backwards and it's making me doubt myself even more.  I just want to move forward for a change and feel my start to come back. I still have a fear of being to far from home even though I force myself.  Did you have to work on getting your life back or did it just happen?  Maybe I"m not working hard enough

Hugs

Kristin

What are you referring to Kristen, when you say "monophobia"?

V

Fear of being alone.

Maybe I'm confusing you with somebody else but don't you have a child and not live alone?  Which is not to say you can't have that fear anyway...

Vertigo

I do have a child and live with my mom but if my mom leaves me alone for any length of time I get anxiety so bad all I can do is lay down until she gets back.  The past 2 times I've actually pushed myself to stay busy with my daughter and just let the anxiety be and it works a little but I have to work on it more so it will eventually go away.  I didn't have this in my c/t days but it started after I finished tapering my a/d this time so I think it's related to that.

Hugs

Kmarie

I do have a child and live with my mom but if my mom leaves me alone for any length of time I get anxiety so bad all I can do is lay down until she gets back.  The past 2 times I've actually pushed myself to stay busy with my daughter and just let the anxiety be and it works a little but I have to work on it more so it will eventually go away.  I didn't have this in my c/t days but it started after I finished tapering my a/d this time so I think it's related to that.

Hugs

Kmarie

Hi Kmarie.  Good for you for fighting back and letting the anxiety be while doing what matters to you, being with your daughter.  Caution! The goal is not for "the anxiety to go away", but to cope with it while you do the things that are important to you, like you did the last couple of times :clap:.

:smitten:

Vertigo

Kmarie, do you have any coping tools for anxiety?  If not, my therapist says the easiest one is to breath out slowly more than you breath in.  Like, take two small breaths in through your nose (not deep), then breath out real slow.  Do that until you feel relaxed.  Then there is EFT (emotional freedom technique).  Go to You-Tube and type in EFT for Benzo withdrawl.  Or there is also EFT training on Dr. mercolas website.  I like his better. It has been discussed on this site before.  Sounds really silly but IT WORKS!  Give both a try.  Hope the anxiety fades away soon. . . .Angelluv

Kmarie, do you have any coping tools for anxiety?  If not, my therapist says the easiest one is to breath out slowly more than you breath in.  Like, take two small breaths in through your nose (not deep), then breath out real slow.  Do that until you feel relaxed.  Then there is EFT (emotional freedom technique).  Go to You-Tube and type in EFT for Benzo withdrawl.  Or there is also EFT training on Dr. mercolas website.  I like his better. It has been discussed on this site before.  Sounds really silly but IT WORKS!  Give both a try.  Hope the anxiety fades away soon. . . .Angelluv

Hi AngelLuv.  Has EFT helped you personally?  If so, how?  I'm not familiar with it.

As for the breathing techniques you mentioned, it seems counter to diaphragmatic breathing which I've always read is better to take slow deep breaths in while the stomach fills and pushes out.  Maybe letting them out slowly would also be a good idea but not sure that the short breaths in make sense?  Well, I suppose one can try both and see whichever works.

Vertigo

Vertigo, your friend who became suicidal after zyprexa, was that only after one dose?

I believe he was on it a while, plus other meds.

Vertigo