Wedding DaY....Reinstatement

[kr...]

Hey Everyone,

I'm benzo free since July 2015.  It has been a crazy road but I would say I'm about 50% healed.  I will be getting married on May 20th this year and am so excited to marry my fiance, but so nervous about the process.

The stress of wedding plan and the big day as got me feeling like I'm going crazy. The biggest fear is my social anxiety and having to the center of attention all day. Standing up infront of a large crowd saying my vows and first dance have me already shaking like a twig. I've been doing therapy and for the most part I'm functional with my anxiety and no meds. However, I'm so tempted to temporarily start taking Klonopin a few days before wedding just so I can sleep good, write my vows and enjoy the big day worry free. Do you guys think i will regret this later? I have no desire to abuse benzo's or take them any longer past the wedding. I know for people without anxiety disorders weddings can be extremely stressful, I know my feelings are not to abnormal just amplified. After almost 2 years off has anyone temporarily went back on benzos ( 1 week max) and been able to stop without going through full blown withdrawal again? Any input is greatly appreciated

thanks!

Kt

If you take it for the wedding and have no nervousness, you may feel like you can take it again for the "next big thing", and then "this small thing" and then a couple times a month, and then a couple times a year, and then, well...

This is what happened to me and how I find myself in a terrible place. If you're only 50% healed, and then I would try and get through the day without it.

That's just my opinion. And trust me - I KNOW where you are coming from. Social anxiety is exactly what got me into this mess in the first place.

[59...]
Here's what I would say. . .I'm almost 7 weeks out and this has been one of the most stressful times of my life. My Dad passed away on Monday. I never reinstated but trust me I thought about it. But there were times where I had to take a rescue dose because i just had to do what I needed to do to get through that moment because it will never happen again. Was it hard to recover? Yes. Do I regret it? No. Did it set me back? Yes. Was it worth it so I could get through that moment and be there for my dad? Absolutely yes. You are getting married which is huge. Congratulations! Do what you need to do to enjoy this moment in your life. 

I can't speak to the specific issue as my experience with Clonazepam is relatively new. What you are talking about is what benzos are most effectively used for. I was given 2 tabs of Xanax for my wisdom tooth extraction, which helped keep me calm, and I had no trouble. But after seeing the horrors Clonazepam unleashed on me after a mere 1.5 months of use, I don't want to touch that poison again. So while I'm totally with what calmthoughts says about doing what you need to do to enjoy your special day, I would ask if you've looked into natural supplements to help keep you calm? Some healthful things like magnesium powders drinks, Kava Kava root, 5htp, "Rescue Remedy", lavender oil tablets, and other things work wonders for some people. Everyone is different, but you might purchase some natural remedies and try them out in the time leading up to your wedding. If you find something that evens things out a bit without going on K, even for several days, that would be far better!

Do you want to be in a fogged out benzo state on your wedding day? You don't need the pills to get through this.. keep strong and stay on your course.  I am guessing if you're not healed yet, you're going to end up regretting it big time and may put you back into w/d.

Congrats and I hope the big day goes off without a hitch!!

Hi! Congrats ! I understand how you feel. My wedding is in five months but I honestly will not take Xanax again unless between life and death. It's very tempted but not worth it. I think you can try coping strategy and try your best . Good luck !

Tracy

Thank you for everyone!

AHHHh only 6 days till the big day! We had our rehearsal this past weekend and I had a full blown panic attack just standing up there in front of the small crowd. I had to excuse my self and walk outside for several minutes. Not something I can deal with on the big day. I've decided to take a low dose on the wedding day. This was actually advised by my psychologist how has helped me through the entire detox/healing process. We are taking a 16 day honeymoon right after so I will have time to relax and deal with any small effects from the one time dosage. Thank you everyone for your input, always greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Kristopher

• 2 weeks later...
What about a beta blocker as an alternative? They use that a lot in people with performance or speaking anxiety. It helps stop the tachycardia and shaking associated with panic. I'm just thinking if you take the benzo it might get you through the wedding but set you back for your honeymoon.

Congratulations on your wedding! But do not take any benzo. You don't need it to get through this. You will be okay  :thumbsup: