Chest Tightness/Pain & Heart Palps

[Be...]

Hi everyone  :)

Although I've been suffering with these symptoms for quite a while now and know it's my anxiety/panic (had an EKG just to be sure) the chest tightness and heart palps still freak me out, especially as they are getting worse as I taper off of the evil Klonopin.  Did anyone else experience this delightful side effect?

And does anyone have any suggestions or remedies on how to ease this pain and calm down the heart palp?  I find a heat pad a great help when I am at home, but when I'm at work and stressed about my w/d symptoms I'm not sure what to do...and the more I panic/worry the worse it gets  :(

Any advice gratefully accepted.  Thx  ;D

Have you seen this thread I opened some weeks ago? Got amazing advice there

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0

This symptoms are horrible I know. I get tachycardia all the time. Also have tightness and chest pain some times, which still scares me, though I know my heart is ok. Good thing you know too there's nothing wrong with your heart  :)

Hi.  I only had a bit of chest tightness towards the end of my taper last Fall.  I recently went in for a physical and my internist said I had a few abnormal T waves on my EKG and suggested beta blockers. I decided against and will probably go in for a stress treadmill (just to be safe) in a few weeks. I had some palpitations twice in the last year but they were kind of a fluke, once when I had gone c/t off valium and got vertigo, freaked out a bit so the heart palpitated (thought I was having a stroke)...  Second time with palpitations interestingly enough was just last week.  I had gone up the stairs quickly, got something out the drier and felt a little lightheaded, got myself worked up that I was going to faint and on came the palpitations again.  I sat down and took some deep breaths and focused on racing thoughts without reacting to them.  I've read a few books on mindfulness which I do recommend for anxiety and might help too.  Quite a few folks on forum who had/have chest or other muscle tightness in terms of muscles but always good to check with your doctor if you have chest pains of course.

Best,

Vertigo (no more)

Thanks Ourania & Vertigo  :)

I was so freaked out last night that I ended up at the doctors (again!)  Seems I'm okay, but, like you, Vertigo, I have arranged to have a stress test done along with a respiratory test just to be sure and to hopefully put my constantly worrying mind at rest *fingers crossed*  I'm terrified that there is something wrong with me, which sends me off into a world of panic..ugh!  :( And now I'm worrying about the tests....Grrrrr!!!!!  It's a never ending cycle of anxiety and worry.

Ourania, I will check out that link.  Thanks so much, I really appreciate it  :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like a good plan. you should if you haven't already get an ekg done.  I would also keep in mind that anxiety and stress can give us severe chest pain and it's actally just all the muscles around your heart tensing up and most of the time has nothing to do with the heart itself.  heart burn can also cause a lot pain in the chest, GERD and things like that. which bezo withdrawal is notorious for.  a simple antacid might do the trick. heartburn and gerd can be triggered from stress and tighten your chest muscles up and we think it's our heart becasu ewe are under stress and it isn't.  also what i did because chest tightness was my bad side for awhile towards the end of my first withdrawal.  I actally used bengay or something similair.  unsented perferably.  I must say it really did help me a lot!  I still use it to this day when i get tight in the chest.

take care,

click

Hi Bevoir

Haven't been around BB much lately but just picked up on your post.  Heart palps and flutters have been with me most of my journey through withdrawal.  I too had visits to ER with chest pains - each time the EKG came out normal.  One thing I've learned that with anxiety is that the whole body tenses up - and we have some large muscle groups around our chests, back and neck areas to support our heads and to aid the functioning of our arms and shoulders.  And of course when we get tense these muscles tighten up and cause pain.  I still get severe pain across my shoulders sometimes, even five months out from my last dose, but find that doing some relaxation deep breathing or if at home some relaxation techniques of just lying on the bed focussing on all the muscle groups from the top of the head to the tips of your toes and fingers - relaxing them one by one.  Its only then that you realise just how tense your body is.  If you have worries about your heart this will only increase your focus on this area and will contribute to the tense feelings you have.  Slow, deep breathing is something to practice during the day at work and even something as simple as making yourself aware of the tension you are feeling around various parts of your body and trying to relax each muscle group one by one (you can probably do this at work without anyone being aware of what you're doing). 

Anxiety will also bring on palpitations.  By all means get checked out to give yourself some re-assurance, but I'm betting there'll be nothing wrong - just benzo withdrawal anxiety.  I had some tests done also and they all came back with good results - made me feel a lot better.

Good luck. 

Thanks for your reply, LB  ;D

It is really reassuring to hear from others who have experienced the same problems (although I hate the fact so many have had to suffer)  My EKG was fine a while back and I had my lung function checked a few weeks ago too, which came out fine and greatly reassured me as I now seem to obsess and worry about every little symptom.  I have one final test next week...treadmill stress test (ugh!) and I am, big surprise, anxious about it.  But I am trying to stay positive and hope it all comes out fine.

Thank you for your sound advice and relaxation tips...and also for your reassurance...it means a lot to a worry wart like me in the middle of klonopin withdrawal  :(

Take care and thanks again  :smitten

Thanks for the tips, Click  :)

I will definitely try the bengay.  I also use a heat bag over the area when I get really tense and that helps too, but the bengay will help when I'm at work and can't chill on the sofa with a nice lavender heat bag.

As you can see, I've had an EKG and all was good...just waiting to do my stress test next week and then hopefully I will stop worrying so much.  It a vicious circle right now, but I'm trying to take each day step by step....

Thanks again for your reply.  It's much appreciated.

Take care  :smitten:

it means a lot to a worry wart like me in the middle of klonopin withdrawal 

You're talking with the queen or the worry warts here!!!  Probably just another reason why someone like me should never be given K in the first place, but try telling that to the psychiatrists of this world.  Their view is that by giving us sedatives we can calm ourselves down - well it did for a few months, then all hell broke loose. :D 

Something I now have to do is to learn not to worry about things that probably will never happen, instead of expecting the worse.  It's all the mind and what a powerful tool that is!!

You are sooo right, LB, and hit the nail on the head.  I am desperately trying not to worry soo much and accept what is happening to me...but it's a tough nut to crack  >:(  I woke up this am at 4.30 (deep joy!) worrying about anything and everything....I guess I just need more practice as it's early days  :)

Thanks for your reply....it's always great to hear from someone who knows what this is like...Grrrrrrrrrrrr to the K.

Take care

At 4.30am in the morning everything seems much worse than it is.  Too much time and quietness around to take our mind off the negatives.  This is definitely the toughest nut I've ever had to crack, but crack it I have and now I'm looking forward to smashing that little nut into a million pieces and throwing it away with the rubbish!

You will too Bevoir - it may seem like a long, long journey but it can be done.  I never thought I'd ever be benzo free and just couldn't see the end.  Keep positive and hang in there.  It's not all bad on the journey, there can be some good times!

I had these symptoms they r pretty scary! They do improve though. I am about 2 months benzo free although I still get them off and on they are a lot more manageable and not nearly as often! Hang tough!

Many Blessings!

Thanks for your words of support and comfort, LB & Yoda  :)

It's so wonderful to hear that these scary, horrible symptoms will one day soon pass...I long for that day, as I'm so very tired of waking up in fear and then dealing with the anxiety, tears, panic etc that follows me around all day like a dark shadow.  This is so hard, but it is made easier by talking to great people such as yourselves and the other buddies on here.  I really appreciate your reassurance and positive replies.

Thanks  :smitten:

Bevoir, heart palpitations is the reason I ended up on xanax and a beta blocker.  They started about 5 years ago and drove me crazy.  My mom has them too, but she just ignores them.  I couldn't, I thought I was having a stroke or heart attack.  They were horrible at night too.  I saw a cardiologist, had several EKG, stress test...all came back normal.  The cardiologist told me to avoid alcohol, caffeine, and stress.  I just couldn't stand that flip flopping in my chest..  so I asked my doctor for xanax and metaprolol.  The xanax helped me sleep good, the beta blocker never stopped the palps...they decreased but never stopped.  I stopped taking both meds in December.  Guess what..I still have the heart palpitations...I ignore them now.  I wish I could have done that a few years ago, I could have saved myself a trip through hell. :idiot:

Try not to stress that makes them worse.

Tawana

hey Bev,

I'd be kind of surprised if most everyone here doesn't have these type problems, at one point or another during this process, due to anxiety, which is a big culprit.  I had the usual tests, like you, with no problems indicated.  I remember the stress test was just a few minutes on a tread mill, so don't work yourself up. 

At work, I keep a water bottle handy, sugar-free mints, and get up and walk around whenever anxiety, heart racing or palps occur. 

Don't sit for long periods even if you don't feel bad. 

I don't really understand why, but for me, lack of motion builds problems up. A couple of minutes moving around can help me.

Also, going outdoors briefly, if the weather is OK, helps a lot.

This week I've had some weird chest pains and pressure that worried me, but today they are gone. 

I suspect if I had a really serious heart condition, that it wouldn't just go away.  I seem to be on the never ending carousel of

rotating symptoms right now.

Are you avoiding caffeine?  My doctor told me that long ago.  I also try to limit my sugar intake, and I had to quit supplements.

My system is just too sensitive at present.

Hope you're having a good day and a better tomorrow!

-David

Hi Tawana & WWJD  :)

Thanks for your replies.

I really wish I could try not to stress but coming off the K (and being on it in the first place) has really messed me up  >:(  What began as mild anxiety is now severe anxiety accompanied by major depression and sleep problems...pretty much the same story as everyone else.  I try not to worry, but become anxious for no reason at all these days...and that's when I start to worry and think "will this ever end"  To be honest, right now, I'm scared out of my mind and am sitting at work desperately trying not to break down in tears...this really does suck!

WWJD, thank you so much for you reassurance about the stress test  ;D  I have been worrying myself sick over it, so your reply meant a lot to me...thx x

I have cut out caffeine and am trying to do all the right things like exercise etc...but some days it's like an uphill battle.  I was working out on Sunday and about 20 Mins in, I started to feel a bit "off" which started the worry machine inside and I felt like I was going to pass out  :'(  Instead of freaking out and jumping off the treadmill, I simply slowed it down and felt fine within seconds; however, now I've built up a fear since Sunday that the same thing will happen again if I go on it...Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!  I just want to gain control over my mind again, but I don't seem to be doing a very good job  :(

Anyway, I will take your advice regarding the water...I don't drink any at all, so it's time I started and will make sure I get up from my desk and move around during the day a bit more....lots of good advice, so thank you  :)

Hope you are both having a great day, even if mines not so hot (chest tight very anxious and depressed)

Take care and thanks again for the replies!!  I'm off to get some water  :smitten:

Bevoir, I know exactly how you feel.  I have to fight back the tears while sitting at my desk trying to work.  The only place I feel a little better is home and even that doesn't feel the same.  The benzos just suck everthing out of you.  I feel like I'm losing it too.  I called my mom at 5:30 this morning crying.  Try to stay positive and try not to worry...I know a lot easier said thant done. :(

Aw, Hopefull...my heart goes out to you, hun  :'(

Thank you for your post, and I am so sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as me.  They really do suck the life out of you, don't they?

I am the same as you, I only feel better at home and I always feel much better in the evenings.  But I know what you mean when you say even that's not the same anymore...everything feels different to me now and I want my life back.

I called my mum last weekend in floods of tears too...I've been trying to avoid it as I didn't want to upset her, but, boy, was it good to talk to her.  Unfortunately, she's 6000 miles away (I moved to the U.S five years ago) and going through this benzo/anxiety/depression rollercoaster has made my homesickness shoot through the roof  :'(

I will take your sound advice though and try to stay positive  :)  I guess this is just one of my bad days.

Here's hoping we both have a better day tomorrow  :yippee:

Take care of yourself.

Hey Bev and Hope,

At least people think it's OK for ladies to cry.  How about us guys?

I know I've felt like it many times.

It's the body's way of releasing stress and tension, so it's OK.

It's also OK to scream too....Y-a-a-a-a-a-a-h-h-h-h-h!!!  There, I did it.

Consider a little quiet meditation when you are home. 

Turn off the TV for a few minutes and think about a very good memory.

Think about this as a positive thought:

"Every day in every way, my body is healing.

Inside my body, a cool river runs deep and still.

In my heart, I feel faith and hope,

And I am at peace."

Happy days ahead,

-David

Hi David  ;D

Let out that scream!!!!!  YAY!!  And you know it's okay for you to cry too....  It's impossible not to at times  :'(

Thanks for that awesome positive thought!  I just wrote it down in my journal and will do my best to put it to practice.

I find the meditation thing really, really hard...I tried to go to a "happy place" this morning when the anxiety kicked in and I found it impossible  >:( Every thought made me even more anxious.  Any tips??

Have a great day!

Beverley

Hi Bevoir

Relaxation techniques take time to come to grips with.  Keep trying.  My favourite is lying in a darkened bedroom listening to relaxation messages on my iPod and just letting the voice I'm hearing take me to a calm place.  After practising for several weeks I could achieve a similar thing in tense situations by just focusing on various muscle groups around my body in particular the forehead, around the eyes, the mouth (even my tongue was clinging to the roof of my mouth like it was glued there) and the neck and shoulder regions.  I can now feel the tension releasing from these areas.  Deep breathing by pushing your stomach out is also a great stress reliever which can be done anywhere.

Strange that the tense situations I talk of are doing what were very normal things like driving, shopping in the mall, filling my car with gas - gotta love these benzos, they really do a number on us.

Keep working at the relaxation eventually it will kick in and give you some relief.  And just a suggestion - get back on the treadmill - don't let it beat you - you are in control! :thumbsup:

Thanks, LB  :smitten:

I will take your advice.

I have ordered some more relaxtion Cd's and will keep at the deep breathing.  I'm also going to tackle the treadmill again this week...wish me luck!  I had a treadmill stress test yesterday and the results were fine (YAY!) but the whole experience sent me into a panic.  I might just try walking around my condo complex to start with...but you are right...I can't let the fear control me.

Thanks again  :)

We've all been through our personal fears on this journey.  Comparing notes does wonders for the brain when we realise that we're not alone on this journey.  A lot of us have never been down this road before, so it's all new. 

Thanks Yoda & LB  :)

Your sooo right...a little bit of reassurance works wonders during this crazy benzo journey.

Thanks for your posts  :smitten: