Study, Apr./17: "Benzodiazepines, Z-drugs and the risk of hip fracture..."

[La...]

The full title of this British study is "Benzodiazepines, Z-drugs and the risk of hip fracture: A systematic review and meta-analysis".

"CONCLUSIONS:  There is strong evidence that both BNZ and Z-drugs are associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in the older person, and there is little difference between their respective risks. Patients newly prescribed these medicines are at the greatest risk of hip fracture. Clinicians and policy makers need to consider the increased risk of fallings and hip fracture particularly amongst new users of these medications."

Just a note: What isn't clear from this abstract is that the medications may cause people to become dizzy, lose their balance, have decreased reaction time, etc., all of which may lead to falls, which then cause fractures (of hips and other bones). I don't believe the drugs themselves cause decreased bone density -- at least, I haven't come across that before. It's usually the dizziness/fall/fracture sequence that's behind the increased rate of hip fractures.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28448593 

• 4 weeks later...

The full title of this British study is "Benzodiazepines, Z-drugs and the risk of hip fracture: A systematic review and meta-analysis".

"CONCLUSIONS:  There is strong evidence that both BNZ and Z-drugs are associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in the older person, and there is little difference between their respective risks. Patients newly prescribed these medicines are at the greatest risk of hip fracture. Clinicians and policy makers need to consider the increased risk of fallings and hip fracture particularly amongst new users of these medications."

Just a note: What isn't clear from this abstract is that the medications may cause people to become dizzy, lose their balance, have decreased reaction time, etc., all of which may lead to falls, which then cause fractures (of hips and other bones). I don't believe the drugs themselves cause decreased bone density -- at least, I haven't come across that before. It's usually the dizziness/fall/fracture sequence that's behind the increased rate of hip fractures.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28448593

My 72 year old mother is taking Suboxone combined with Klonopin and has taken many many serious falls... but she is hooked and has given up.