Your brain has a delete button and here's how to use it

[Gr...]

http://prepareforchange.net/2017/03/02/your-brain-has-a-delete-button-and-heres-how-to-use-it/

"It’s the synaptic connections you don’t use that get marked for recycling. The ones you do use are the ones that get watered and oxygenated. So be mindful of what you’re thinking about.

If you spend too much time reading theories about the end of “Game of Thrones” and very little on your job, guess which synapses are going to get marked for recycling?

If you’re in a fight with someone at work and devote your time to thinking about how to get even with them, and not about that big project, you’re going to wind up a synaptic superstar at revenge plots but a poor innovator.

What you focus on prevails! You literally craft your own mind by choosing what you pay attention towards."

• 2 weeks later...
[be...]

Hey, I love Game of Thrones. Rooting for Daeneris and her dragons :)

Let the work synapses get deleted; I'm ready to retire anyway.

http://prepareforchange.net/2017/03/02/your-brain-has-a-delete-button-and-heres-how-to-use-it/

"It’s the synaptic connections you don’t use that get marked for recycling. The ones you do use are the ones that get watered and oxygenated. So be mindful of what you’re thinking about.

If you spend too much time reading theories about the end of “Game of Thrones” and very little on your job, guess which synapses are going to get marked for recycling?

If you’re in a fight with someone at work and devote your time to thinking about how to get even with them, and not about that big project, you’re going to wind up a synaptic superstar at revenge plots but a poor innovator.

What you focus on prevails! You literally craft your own mind by choosing what you pay attention towards."

Thank you  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
So true, what you focus on blows up and becomes magnified. Change the channel in your brain to positive thoughts, it makes a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but I profoundly disagree with this. The internet is littered with couch warriors (perhaps well-meaning, perhaps not) out trying to 'guide the world' with their "wisdom"; they come up with the most mindless drivel, they all copy from each other and they all repeat their drivel onward - sometimes with added arms and legs - to the most gullible who are prepared to swallow it.

It’s the synaptic connections you don’t use that get marked for recycling. The ones you do use are the ones that get watered and oxygenated. So be mindful of what you’re thinking about.

This is complete and utter thrash. If it were true, then I wouldn't be able to ride a bicycle after 20 years of not doing it; I wouldn't be able to recognise my own children not having seen them for a year, I wouldn't be able to swim - not having done it for three years. This list is endless. And these examples are only off the top of my head!

The thing is, it requires your belief and your gullibility to make these mindless internet (and new-age) 'memes' seem true for you. It's right up there with horoscopes and tarot-card reading.

Once you've convinced yourself that this must be true because, maybe, it "feels right", then you too become infected and begin living by it and passing it on to others - to harmful effect.

The phenomenon becomes a chain-letter of the worst kind, restricting people and guiding them into inescapable cul-de-sacs in their own thinking, eventually becoming part of 'accepted' mainstream culture. It really is no wonder that otherwise intelligent people end up corralled by nonsense.

So, install yourself a high-end bullshit detector, question everything, and live your life free of those half-baked, misleading ideas spawned by the intellectually deprived.  :thumbsup:

(And be sure you don't walk on the cracks in the sidewalk-pavement! - lol)

This is so true and a GREAT reminder! Thank you for sharing! :smitten:

I'm rooting for Daeneris (her dragons) & Jon Snow! I love how it's all coming together!!! So exciting :D

[be...]

I'm rooting for Daeneris (her dragons) & Jon Snow! I love how it's all coming together!!! So exciting :D

But, rounds 1 and  have gone to Cersei & Jamie!

I do love season 7 so far though.

Night Watch, I really am sorry that you are feeling so much anger. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. We all are. Having said that your reply to D. bordered on the hostile and made for extremely negative reading. People are fragile on these boards and need kindness and empathy, not judgement.

D. Thank you for the post. Trying to find positives in the daily struggle back to wellness is really important.

Nightwatch - I don't ride a bike as good as I did when I was 16. Sometimes I don't recognize people I haven't seen for years. We forget things.

Rabbit - thank you for your kind and wise words. You are one special lady.

:smitten:

So, install yourself a high-end bullshit detector...

I did but it goes off every time Trump opens his mouth... :)

Hello everyone,

Please be kind and polite to your fellow buddies, and no politics, please.  :smitten:

Really people believe this non-science 'science' cos it sounds fuzzy - sorry as a 'real' scientist ie not a psychiatrist I can tell you that this is blather , sorry to burst your pink bubble - rider for mods all my opinion of course. And I hate game of thrones it's over-hyped tat for the masses so shoot me

[be...]

...And I hate game of thrones it's over-hyped tat for the masses...

Your royal highness, I bend my knee in deference to your superior judgement in this and all other matters.

Night Watch, I really am sorry that you are feeling so much anger. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. We all are. Having said that your reply to D. bordered on the hostile and made for extremely negative reading. People are fragile on these boards and need kindness and empathy, not judgement.

D. Thank you for the post. Trying to find positives in the daily struggle back to wellness is really important.

Very taken aback that you jumped to your conclusion that you think I must be "angry", "judgemental" or "hostile", Rabbit! Nothing could be further from the truth.

And my reply wasn't to "D" at all - it was to the topic at hand, clearly.

People are being mislead all the time by half-baked, airy-fairy ideas, and unfortunately, some in benzo withdrawal  - whose critical and cognitive faculties may be at a low ebb - can be very easily misled and deserve to hear an alternative point of view.

I was presenting that viewpoint.

And thanks for the welcome.

Nightwatch - I don't ride a bike as good as I did when I was 16. Sometimes I don't recognize people I haven't seen for years. We forget things.

Rabbit - thank you for your kind and wise words. You are one special lady.

:smitten:

Well, me neither Grandma! But it isn't for the reason that my synapses putrefied from not thinking about how to :)

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I'm sorry, but I profoundly disagree with this. The internet is littered with couch warriors (perhaps well-meaning, perhaps not) out trying to 'guide the world' with their "wisdom"; they come up with the most mindless drivel, they all copy from each other and they all repeat their drivel onward - sometimes with added arms and legs - to the most gullible who are prepared to swallow it.

It’s the synaptic connections you don’t use that get marked for recycling. The ones you do use are the ones that get watered and oxygenated. So be mindful of what you’re thinking about.

This is complete and utter thrash. If it were true, then I wouldn't be able to ride a bicycle after 20 years of not doing it; I wouldn't be able to recognise my own children not having seen them for a year, I wouldn't be able to swim - not having done it for three years. This list is endless. And these examples are only off the top of my head!

The thing is, it requires your belief and your gullibility to make these mindless internet (and new-age) 'memes' seem true for you. It's right up there with horoscopes and tarot-card reading.

Once you've convinced yourself that this must be true because, maybe, it "feels right", then you too become infected and begin living by it and passing it on to others - to harmful effect.

The phenomenon becomes a chain-letter of the worst kind, restricting people and guiding them into inescapable cul-de-sacs in their own thinking, eventually becoming part of 'accepted' mainstream culture. It really is no wonder that otherwise intelligent people end up corralled by nonsense.

So, install yourself a high-end bullshit detector, question everything, and live your life free of those half-baked, misleading ideas spawned by the intellectually deprived.  :thumbsup:

(And be sure you don't walk on the cracks in the sidewalk-pavement! - lol)

This may not be hostile or angry but its obviously dismissive. I dont necessarily disagree with you either NightWatch. But I feel like its unfair to dismiss these ideas as airy fairy and pseudo scientific nonsense etc. To the point -> These ideas are remarkably similar to developments in medical science/clinical medicines understanding of the brain structures/physiology. For instance, just have a look at the emerging scientific understanding regarding "Neuroplasticity" (the brains ability to reorganize its neuronal connections throughout life, and not just until adulthood) and its ability to be influenced by Cognitive Behavior Therapy (changing our negative thought vectors to treat psychological illness). These are frontiers of medicine/psychiatry/psychology and there is remarkable amounts of evidence for CBT already. New studies draw the link between these two as well. Just because Grandma D's ideas werent expressed in scientific terminology/nomenclature doesn't mean they are unscientific and without merit. Lastly, for the record, I second that I'm not trying to throw fuel on the fire here.

Just my opinion, Pinky  :thumbsup:

Really people believe this non-science 'science' cos it sounds fuzzy - sorry as a 'real' scientist ie not a psychiatrist I can tell you that this is blather , sorry to burst your pink bubble - rider for mods all my opinion of course. And I hate game of thrones it's over-hyped tat for the masses so shoot me

Whaaaaaattt, your dreaming dude. best show on TV...Winter is here!

This may not be hostile or angry but its obviously dismissive. I dont necessarily disagree with you either NightWatch. But I feel like its unfair to dismiss these ideas as airy fairy and pseudo scientific nonsense etc.

Of course it was dismissive, Pinky. That was the whole intent, after all. But it was dismissive of the concept and not of any poster here. I disagree that ideas - any ideas - ought not to be challenged - and I'm sure you can see that too :)

To the point -> These ideas are remarkably similar to developments in medical science/clinical medicines understanding of the brain structures/physiology.

If you mean that these ideas are half-baked, impractical, new-agey interpretations of one strand of thought from the developing and inconclusive field of brain study, then we are in total agreement.  :thumbsup:

For instance, just have a look at the emerging scientific understanding regarding "Neuroplasticity" (the brains ability to reorganize its neuronal connections throughout life, and not just until adulthood) and its ability to be influenced by Cognitive Behavior Therapy (changing our negative thought vectors to treat psychological illness). These are frontiers of medicine/psychiatry/psychology and there is remarkable amounts of evidence for CBT already. New studies draw the link between these two as well.

I won't get started on "CBT" here, except to say that I have more respect for crystal-ball gazing and that world-renowned, American philosopher, Bart Simpson  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just because Grandma D's ideas werent expressed in scientific terminology/nomenclature doesn't mean they are unscientific and without merit.

But this idea did not originate with Grandma D, Pinky. It is not "hers". Grandma D posted a link to a site promoting this idea as being "true", presumeably because she found it interesting and worth a discussion. This particular version of this idea (it's all over the place in various guises) suggests that your brain has a "delete button". Not only that, it purports to tell you how to "use it".

I'm calling nonsense - utter nonsense.

I'm saying that blind, uncritical acceptance of these wild, unsupported, mad claims is not a good idea for anyone, but worse again for those whose critical-thinking abilities are temporarily impaired by benzo withdrawal and who are, therefore, temporarily unable to discern the wood from the trees.

Now, I'm off on my bike to see if I can join Challis' Kayaking Club. Grandma D - I can give you a lift on the crossbar if ya want - cos I can remember how to do that too! C'mon... we'll be late! :) :) :)

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[be...]

...And I hate game of thrones...

Whaaaaaattt, your dreaming dude. best show on TV...Winter is here!

"The night is dark and full of terrors"

- either a Lord of Light worshiper on GOT, or

- someone suffering benzo withdrawal :(

Agree with Nightwatch and Blaggy, including (and especially?) that it has nothing to do with Grandma and, as such, should not be taken personally. :thumbsup:  CBT may certainly work wonders for some people but we can leave out the pseudo-scientific neuro-gibberish.  It is utter nonsense!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/shortcuts/2015/may/05/win-argument-pseudo-scientific-neuro-gibberish-neuroscience

Now!  For anyone interested in hearing a bit about real brain science from a real neuroscientist, this is a fascinating podcast.  Entertaining and very easy to listen to.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=184090.0

PS - I've never watched one episode of Game of Thrones.  Shoot me first?