Tapering from diazepam

[H ...]

Hello & Thanks for the add. I am currently tapering from a daily dose of 30 mg diazepam for 10 years.  I started tapering in January 2017 and am now at 6mg. I am prescribed diazepam for neuropathy pain & sleep. I seem to have got to a point where withdrawal symptoms won't siece. Thanks 

[b7...]

Hello, H Man :) - welcome to BenzoBuddies, and congratulations on your efforts to stop diazepam!

Withdrawal can be very rough, especially at the rapid rate at which you have been tapering - but you've come to the right place to plan a more manageable and comfortable taper.  :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum - you'll find plenty of information and support here. Our members have gone through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal, so you'll be able to connect with others who understand what you're going through and can tell you what has worked for them.

Please feel free to post your questions (from above) to any of the specialized boards, which can all be accessed from the BenzoBuddies Community Forum homepage. Based on the information provided in your introduction, the following links may be a good starting place for you.

General Taper Plans

Withdrawal Support

When you have a chance, we highly recommend that you take a look at The Ashton Manual, which is an authoritative source on what to expect during withdrawal and recovery, authored by Dr Heather Ashton, who is an expert in the field. It provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations.

For those who are currently tapering, we suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that. One exception: very short-term users of a few weeks or less may be able to taper faster than that. 

Please take the time to Create a Signature. This will allow members to see where you are in the process, so that they can better support you.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forum!

Leslie  :smitten:

Hi HMan.  Glad you are starting the journey and know we buddies are here 24/7/365 for support.  You will note I tapered from Valium too and finally jumped 6 months ago.

Right off the bat I am a bit concerned that your taper seems too fast (at least based on my experience with this poison).  You may want to slow down a tad especially now that you are getting down in dosage.  Just listen to your body.

I like to point out that my Valium experience, when getting down to 2mg, caused a host of withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, anxiety, digestive issues really bad, insomnia, nightmares, burning in parts of body, etc.  I am not sure what you are experiencing now, but just know that when you get these symptoms, you are withdrawing and NOT developing some incurable disease or that you will be "messed up" forever.

If I knew that bit of advice while tapering down, I would have been soooo much better in coping with withdrawal.  Stay the course, try to stabilize somewhat with symptoms between cuts, and look forward to the finish line (which should probably be several months away).