Pharmacy Times, 2014: "Benzodiazepine Abuse on the Rise"

[La...]

"The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) indicates that the number of emergency department visits concerning the abuse of alprazolam doubled between 2005 and 2010, peaking at 123,744 visits in 2011. This rise was seemingly unnoticed, as the abuse of prescription opiates was also surging during this time, with the combination of the 2 drugs, or the addition of alcohol, being potentially deadly. SAMHSA also indicates that alprazolam was the 13th-most commonly sold medication in 2012, and it was the psychiatric medication most commonly prescribed in 2011."

“The nonmedical use of alprazolam can lead to physical dependence, causing withdrawal symptoms such as tremors and seizures. If alprazolam is combined with alcohol or other drugs that depress the central nervous system— such as narcotic pain relievers—the effects of these drugs on the body can be dangerously enhanced,” according to the SAMHSA report."

Please note: The MEDICAL use of alprazolam can ALSO lead to physical dependence, causing withdrawal symptoms such as tremors and seizures.  :idiot:

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/publications/issue/2014/july2014/benzodiazepine-abuse-on-the-rise 

Thanks for posting this Lapis.  What a mess!  They talk about vigilance in deterring illegal Xanax but, nothing about the problems from benzos when taken as prescribed!!!  >:(  And, then they talk about illegal abuse but, not about iatrogenic dependence and its consequences from legal use...ugh :tickedoff:

Edit:  ah, I see, the author is in law enforcement.  Wish Pharmacy Times would address the problems from MEDICAL use, too!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, disappointing, isn't it? Ah well, it's an older article, and it's possible that there have been other, more recent articles with information that addresses what we all know is a very pressing issue.

When I read or hear about law enforcement going after these people, I tend to think that, because there is so little information about benzos and because doctors are still prescribing benzos for more that a couple of days, the people who want the drugs will simply go somewhere else, find another connection. What is needed is EDUCATION. But we're tied right now. Everywhere we go, there are roadblocks. Doctors are standing in the way. They are so stubborn and ignorant that they refuse to believe that benzos could be the cause of so many problems a patient presents with. They, for the most part, aren't willing to budge. And because so many articles talk about addiction regarding benzos, doctors must feel that they are off the hook. Their patients are taking the benzos responsibly, and they won't become addicted. If they become more anxious, the doctor surmise that the original anxiety is back again, and the patient needs a higher dose. :idiot: Off the hook once more.

When is this ever going to be dealt with? This has been going on for more than half a century now!! It's very, very depressing. So many people go through horrible, inconceivable pain. Where is the medical profession in this?

I do wish we could hear the answers to your excellent questions, Terry. I'd like them to be posed to doctors, and I'd like to hear what each one has to say.

Good points Terry and Lapis-totally agree  :thumbsup:  I think promoting more education and awareness of these drugs and safer alternatives would go a long way in helping people to never start them in the first place.