Suzy Cohen, Pharmacist: "Benzodiazepines Dangers and Lies"

[La...]

Yes, our pal 2200 told us about it on our dizziness support group thread, and I thought I'd share it here too. It's quite good, but a few of us were expressing concern about the recommendations for herbal relaxants. I'm not so keen on adding other types of sedative/hypnotic things -- herbal or otherwise. I think people should be quite careful and do research before taking anything else for sleep or anxiety.

The link seems okay to me. Perhaps you can try it again, or just google "Suzy Cohen benzodiazepines". That's how I found it the first time.

I don't know if they've read anything I've send them, but forwarded to the two docs I used to work for.  At least they haven't blocked me yet.  :D

Great article Lapis and 2200-thanks for posting it.  I would take issue with her statement that there have been "numerous warnings about the risks " about these drugs to patients and doctors.  I don't think there are enough warnings out there but, I'm glad the author is addressing it in this article.  I'm also glad that she talks about how even though- "the drug may be out of your system within a month, but the protracted withdrawal symptoms can last months...".  One of my docs thought I should be better by now because, the drug is most likely, out of my system at this point.  I'm going to send him a copy of this article.  Thanks again!

Ah yes, good idea! She discusses down-regulation, which doesn't just go away once the drug is out of your system. It's a process that takes time. I, too, am glad she clarifies that point. Also, the chart shows symptoms that are common to withdrawal yet not common to regular anxiety in order to make a distinction between the two. Most often, people are likely told that it's just anxiety coming back so they need to be on a benzo forever.

Not blocking = a double-negative = a positive! 

Well, let's hope so, anyway! Good work, benzohno!

LOL Laps  ;D That does equal = a positive + doesn't it?  Thank you for the support!

Great article Lapis and 2200-thanks for posting it.  I would take issue with her statement that there have been "numerous warnings about the risks " about these drugs to patients and doctors.  I don't think there are enough warnings out there but, I'm glad the author is addressing it in this article.  I'm also glad that she talks about how even though- "the drug may be out of your system within a month, but the protracted withdrawal symptoms can last months...".  One of my docs thought I should be better by now because, the drug is most likely, out of my system at this point.

I so agree. I've never forgotten a doctor in the hospital, when I went in with hyponatremia in 2014, telling me that the drug is out of my system and that I should only have symptoms for one month max. I was ready to clobber him with words, but my son was there, and I chose not to. I'm still angry at him!!  :tickedoff: I don't know who he was, and I only saw him in the ER before admission.