Question about tapering from multiple tablets a day

[cr...]

I am on 4 tablets a day. Do you spread the tapering out over all doses or do you keep cutting from one tablet until you only have 3 doses for the day? I am thinking that you would first cut from 1 tablet during the day, and then the next cut would come from another dose during the day to even things out a bit. What is the correct way of doing this?

[75...]

You can approach this a variety of ways.  There's probably little need to dose klonopin 4x per day given it's fairly long half life, so maybe you can work on reducing to three doses then to two doses.  It would take a little tinkering to transition smoothly from 4 to 3 to 2, but I imagine that it can be done with a little planning.  If you do it that way, you could hold onto your nighttime dose (which probably helps you to sleep).

Some people taper them all at once or at least keep all of the doses pretty equal.  Probably no 'right' or 'easy' way.

You can approach this a variety of ways.  There's probably little need to dose klonopin 4x per day given it's fairly long half life, so maybe you can work on reducing to three doses then to two doses.  It would take a little tinkering to transition smoothly from 4 to 3 to 2, but I imagine that it can be done with a little planning.  If you do it that way, you could hold onto your nighttime dose (which probably helps you to sleep).

Some people taper them all at once or at least keep all of the doses pretty equal.  Probably no 'right' or 'easy' way.

Thank you, anyone else have advice on this?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi  I am in the same situation. I am taking 1 mg of valium at 9 am 1 pm  and 5 pm and 3 mg at night about 10 pm. I have advise from the forum person to move to 3 mg morning and night. This person then cut each dose evenly and left the last dose at evening to cut out. or alternative advice to first cut out the 1pm dose  and move the 5 pm to about 3pm. not sure what to do once that is done. I am planning to get small doses compounded to .1 and .2 mg to makes reductions. It would be nice to hear from someone who has had success either way as I'm not so brave to move doses yet! How is your plan going?

Hi  I am in the same situation. I am taking 1 mg of valium at 9 am 1 pm  and 5 pm and 3 mg at night about 10 pm. I have advise from the forum person to move to 3 mg morning and night. This person then cut each dose evenly and left the last dose at evening to cut out. or alternative advice to first cut out the 1pm dose  and move the 5 pm to about 3pm. not sure what to do once that is done. I am planning to get small doses compounded to .1 and .2 mg to makes reductions. It would be nice to hear from someone who has had success either way as I'm not so brave to move doses yet! How is your plan going?

I have not started a taper yet because I was stupid and did a 50 percent cut over 6 doses and within 48 hours I had some nasty anxiety and effects return. So I went back to where I was to stabilize and start over. Also, my wife is due to go into labor within the next few days so I am waiting until that situation is over before trying to the taper. I get family leave from work and will have essentially a month to try and cut down the dose. If I feel a little anxiety or miserable at least I will be home.

My plan personally is to start with my 10AM dose and take away .125 mg of Klonopin(Taking only 3/4 tablet) for at least 10 days based on my readings regarding half-life. I am really not sure what I will do at that point. I can either take another .125 from another dose during the day say, early morning, or keep taking away from the 10 AM dose until I have only 3 doses for the day. Honestly I am not sure how to proceed. I would think technically it would be better to keep the doses spread out to avoid any sort of dips of the medicine in the blood, but I am not sure if that matters with a longer acting benzo like Klonopin. I know those on Xanax have more of an issue with symptoms in between doses. Let me know if you find any other info and thank you for the response.

Ok I used to be on klop twice daily. .5 in the morning and 3/4 of a .5 at night. I evened these up by first reducing my morning dose but I did this by cutting 12 th of a tablet every 2 weeks. I managed to get down to .125 morning and .125 evening but had withdrawal going under this. I was switched to diazepam but there seems to be liquids you can make at home to go under this amount. I have read about these on the blog but rule of thumb seems to be try not to cut more than 10% of your total dose and reduce only every 1-2 weeks. Good luck with baby