Update: Major UK newspaper looking for stories.

[...]

This paper is very keen to hear from those who have undergone bereavement as a result of a family member going through withdrawal and they also have a special interest in hearing from people in their 20s struggling with benzodiazepines/opioid pain killers particularly if you are based in the UK. You can contact the journalist Jo Waters at 0208 289 1777 or at the web site JoWaters.co.uk

Not entirely sure Lapis, I'm hoping it will be the entire picture - dependence/tolerance, withdrawal, potential iatrogenic damage. They have heard quite a bit from middle-aged and older people and they want to show that is very much a current and ongoing issue. I would like to think that the word "addiction" won't feature but I won't hold my breath. We do our best to educate but you know how it is!

It's the Daily Mail, not one of the quality broadsheets. You may remember they've done previous articles like the Luke Montague story. I know they are seen as being a bit sensationalist (understatement!) but they are at least showing an interest. The article might be at risk if they can't get more younger people to come forward. We need the impetus to continue, it helps re the BMA and the APPG for Prescribed Drug Dependence.

Yes, I've got an idea of the type of paper it is from having read a number of articles online. I do agree that it's good to see the topic explored, but let's hope it's factual. I believe it's the paper that made errors in telling Baylissa's story.

Yes, it's the very same paper. Baylissa Frederick won a court case against them in 2013 because they misinformed the public about key elements of her story. I have to hope they have improved on their record. But you know a lot of the media don't really grasp a lot of what we face dealing with prescription drug dependence/withdrawal and I include the BBC in that, the media never do proper justice to the topic. At the moment we have to be grateful that they want to cover the story at all.

I agree. Let's hope they've cleaned up their act. I was quite impressed by Baylissa's courage in bringing a case against the paper. For now, I guess we can be "guardedly optimistic" on this one!

I have been interviewed and the photographer was here today.  I have spent about three hours on the phone to the journalist in total so hopefully she is going to do a good job.  She read out what she had written which was fine but of course it is the Editor who picks out what is actually printed so only bits will appear in print.  I stressed the difference between addiction and dependence.  I really hope they will tackle the bigger questions in all this and not just report our individual stories.

Article should come out next week, Tuesday I think.

I don't want to do this again.  I have been interviewed by 4 papers and had 4 photographers here.  Plus Scottish TV.  I would certainly appear on TV again if I got the chance.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

The Daily Mail newspaper in the UK is still looking for people who have been on benzos/opoids/antidepressants who are willing to share their stories via the press.  Names and photos will be required.  Family members of anyone who has taken their own life due to withdrawal are also being sought. 

You can contact the journalist Jo Waters at 0208 289 1777 or at the web site JoWaters.co.uk

Thank you

Fiona