Business Insider: What happens to your brain when you take Xanax Video

[Ms...]

Thanks for the video  :). It is always very informing to see how different doctors see and interpret the benzodiazepine issues, and what are their strong and weak points in thier knowledge of how benzodiazepines work.

I find it interesting how he talks about losing "positive effects" of the medication. I am not sure that it is possible to extract "positive" vs "negative" effects of the medication. They are all effects, regardless what they are called. You get positive and negative effects from day 1. It's a packaged deal, basically. It's best to be educated about all effects and make an informed decision if this is the right medication for a person to take.

Also, there is no mention of why the medication stops working and why those "positive effects" are lost. He mention a GABA receptor, and doesn't say what happens to that GABA receptor. No explanation on what happens to the other receptors in the brain, and what happens to different neurotransmitters and their levels. No mention of homeostasis and brain trying to adapt to the presence of the medication, and there is no explanation of the mechanism that causes cognitive and memory problems and all the other issues.

Thanks for the video  :). It is always very informing to see how different doctors see and interpret the benzodiazepine issues, and what are their strong and weak points in thier knowledge of how benzodiazepines work.

I find it interesting how he talks about losing "positive effects" of the medication. I am not sure that it is possible to extract "positive" vs "negative" effects of the medication. They are all effects, regardless what they are called. You get positive and negative effects from day 1. It's a packaged deal, basically. It's best to be educated about all effects and make an informed decision if this is the right medication for a person to take.

Also, there is no mention of why the medication stops working and why those "positive effects" are lost. He mention a GABA receptor, and doesn't say what happens to that GABA receptor. No explanation on what happens to the other receptors in the brain, and what happens to different neurotransmitters and their levels. No mention of homeostasis and brain trying to adapt to the presence of the medication, and there is no explanation of the mechanism that causes cognitive and memory problems and all the other issues.

yes, I always find it strange how certain physicians will nail one area, and totally miss another - we rarely get 100% accurate coverage of the problem - we have to settle for 70% or less.  Around 40% everyone starts getting pissed.  LOL

yes, I always find it strange how certain physicians will nail one area, and totally miss another - we rarely get 100% accurate coverage of the problem - we have to settle for 70% or less.  Around 40% everyone starts getting pissed.  LOL

I like your comments and observations. :)