Get Tested for the MTHFR Genetic Mutation!!!! It changed my life and anxiety!

[So...]

Hi everybody I just wanted to drop in and give my two cents on a topic that is very important to many and that a lot of people are unaware of. After getting tested for the MTHFR genetic mutation I found out I am compound heterozygous which means my neurotransmitters only function at 40 percent compared to the rest of the population. People with this issue have a very hard time detoxing and often have a congested liver because your body a harder time eliminating toxins and healing, it also can cause treatment resistant depression and sensitivity to supplements and medications or it can be the reason why certain anti depressants might not work for you or why you feel so low energy.

It actually has been a gamechanger for me though since starting the supplements as far as my klonopin withdrawal goes, I have had zero anxiety since starting a high dose of methylfolate, I have a feeling that my deficiency has greatly contributed to my anxiety and panic as I had my neurotransmitters tested before and after in terms of dopamine, serotonin, norepinephran and  gaba and the results were amazing.

I highly encourage everybody to get checked for this as a great deal of anxiety, panic attacks and depression are the results of being a poor methylator, for some people this mutation doesn't matter and after speaking with my geneticist she said your genes are not your destiny but if you are already exhibiting the signs of certain mutations it can change your life and especially if klonopin withdrawal or benzo withdrawal seems to be especially hard for you.

I have read countless stories of people curing their anxiety and depression with methylfolate and methyl b12 I feel like a new person and am so optimistic that these issues truly weren't all benzo withdrawal related. I am definitely a happy happy camper!

Interesting. Where does one go to find out if they have this mutantion?

You can get a bloodtest done to check to see if you have any of the MTHFR mutations my insurance covered it but if not you can also do genetic testing like 23 and me :)

That's wonderful to hear! I'm glad to see that you are improved from where you were a week or so ago!

I think I'd like to get tested for that as well! May I ask what dosage your methyl folate is at?

I hope you see nothing but continued improvement as you move toward your journey to benzo FREEDOM!

That's wonderful to hear! I'm glad to see that you are improved from where you were a week or so ago!

I think I'd like to get tested for that as well!

I hope you see nothing but continued improvement as you move toward your journey to benzo FREEDOM!

I just got mine done with my naturopath because at first my doctor had never heard of the test and had me "write down the name" before getting my blood drawn, but I didn't want to wait to see if they were going to be able to do the test or not so I paid my naturopath's office Dr Mark Stengler in San Diego to do it there, 500 dollars almost for the test and my dr called me back the next day saying "oh actually we do cover that test here are your results" lol you live and you learn, most doctors and psychiatrists should by now be familiar with this test if your request it

http://mthfr.net/mthfr-test-options-oral-swab-blood-test-or-saliva/2013/06/26/

Here is a helpful site too if you don't have insurance or want to shell out crazy money for a naturopath, thanks so much for the well wishes I finally have hope again! I'm not crazy lol I am just a genetic mutant ninja turtle

wow that's awesome! how much of the methylfolate are you taking??

I worked my way up to 15 mg which is what you need usually if you have that deficiency I felt much better day 4 into taking the full 15 mg

It is a lifesaver!

Who did you go through to get a gene test like that done?

You can use 23andme which you can order online or get a blood test done by almost any doctor you just have to ask for it

You can get a bloodtest done to check to see if you have any of the MTHFR mutations my insurance covered it but if not you can also do genetic testing like 23 and me :)

Well that's rather coincidental, I actually ordered the 23andme test last week. Has this gene variant been linked to people suffering horrible withdrawal symptoms from benzo usage? I wonder if this is the difference between why some people suffer so tremendously while others have no problems with quiting?

Well that's rather coincidental, I actually ordered the 23andme test last week. Has this gene variant been linked to people suffering horrible withdrawal symptoms from benzo usage? I wonder if this is the difference between why some people suffer so tremendously while others have no problems with quiting?

I don't know if there are any exclusive study showing that it has made benzo withdrawal harder however I can only imagine that it does since your body has a harder time processing and creating neurotransmitters which are very important to helping your brain work and he'll effectively and also helping your body detox so getting the benzos out of your system is much harder for people with this mutation

This is interesting to me, think I will ask my doc about it....I am having strong sxs and holding on valium and not getting anywhere.  spasms so bad they mimic seizures, much nausea and akathesia....it might be worth a shot...thanks for posting, and so glad for you that you feel better and have hope again...I have been struggling with hopelessness.....

This is interesting to me, think I will ask my doc about it....I am having strong sxs and holding on valium and not getting anywhere.  spasms so bad they mimic seizures, much nausea and akathesia....it might be worth a shot...thanks for posting, and so glad for you that you feel better and have hope again...I have been struggling with hopelessness.....

Definitely worth looking into, I have no symptoms right now after weeks of honestly wanting to give up, I only feel bad today because I am having trouble eating and that is making me tired but no anxiety or OCD thoughts and that is HUGE! You got this!

Be careful with what you test or research for. I looked into MTHFR too and it got me in big trouble. I do have a couple mutations (Heterozygous C677T and MAO-A etc.) and the supplements sent me into a setback from hell. Tread lightly if you do.

Be careful with what you test or research for. I looked into MTHFR too and it got me in big trouble. I do have a couple mutations (Heterozygous C677T and MAO-A etc.) and the supplements sent me into a setback from hell. Tread lightly if you do.

Yeah you definitely have to start slowly, I treaded lightly at first and saw no real results or problems so I gradually increased until I felt better, it's very individualistic and what works for one person might not work for everybody but I honestly was tired of being afraid to try things and supplements because somebody had freaked me out by telling me it would set back my progress or anything like that, if you don't try than you could be missing something that really really helps you. It's hit and miss but genetic testing is a wonderful and progressive field that has helped a lot of people, my dad is in the biotech industry and they are now able to identify a gene that shows whether or not you are more likely to have epilepsy it is ground breaking for some

Best of luck!

Yeah you definitely have to start slowly, I treaded lightly at first and saw no real results or problems so I gradually increased until I felt better, it's very individualistic and what works for one person might not work for everybody but I honestly was tired of being afraid to try things and supplements because somebody had freaked me out by telling me it would set back my progress or anything like that, if you don't try than you could be missing something that really really helps you. It's hit and miss but genetic testing is a wonderful and progressive field that has helped a lot of people, my dad is in the biotech industry and they are now able to identify a gene that shows whether or not you are more likely to have epilepsy it is ground breaking for some

Best of luck!

That's awesome that it works for you. I tried a few things and they turned on me. I may try again later down the line. Too bad those supplements don't repair GABA receptor damage...

Best of luck!

That's awesome that it works for you. I tried a few things and they turned on me. I may try again later down the line. Too bad those supplements don't repair GABA receptor damage...

Yoga, Meditation, and Exercise is great for helping to create new pathways in the brain and also I have heard great things about Gotu Kola and Ginko as well to take once you are off

That's very interesting about the supplements.  I also take those two.  I learned about them from The Road Back.  They wrote that 30% of the population are not able to metabolize B12 and folate with ease and they suggested those two in specific forms along with B6, in a specific from.  I take them and I feel good. Maybe that's why. I buy them at a health food store.

I'm glad you are feeling better and that they helped.

Jenny

Were you suffering with any depression as well and for how long? Did this alleviate that symptom if you had it? How bad was your anxiety? And now you don't have any anxiety? I did the test as well and I have the mutation(s). I have yet to try this but was really thinking about it. My doc wants me to try another AD and at this point I don't see a reason not to. But I might just try this for awhile first. Or both.

thank you for your help,

Are you taking the B Vitamin from Seeking Health? Dr Ben Lynch is the one I was following at the time. He's supposedly one of the leading experts on the subject. I may try again soon. They felt alright at first then turned but it might have been a Herxheimer reaction. Or I was over methylating.

Are you taking the B Vitamin from Seeking Health? Dr Ben Lynch is the one I was following at the time. He's supposedly one of the leading experts on the subject. I may try again soon. They felt alright at first then turned but it might have been a Herxheimer reaction. Or I was over methylating.

I am actually taking methylife methylfolate from Amazon but following the protocol that Ben Lynch laid out and started taking the other supplements he recommends in order to avoid negative effects from the methylfolate and methylb12 so I am taking electrolytes, zinc, magnesium, B6 and then the liposomal glutathione because I have a hard time detoxing and my liver is congested, I also do cupping and acupuncture regularly and really find it helps

What time of day do you take all of this stuff? Would love to see your stack dosing schedule. God I'll try anything at this point.

Also would love to hear about any mood related enhancements. I'm struggling some super bad depression because of all of this and have been for awhile now.

Also, did the L-Methylfolate start to work before you started taking the other stuff? And how long would you say it took for the L-Methylfolate to work before you noticed an effect? I know it will be different for everyone... but it shouldn't be too different.

Also, did the L-Methylfolate start to work before you started taking the other stuff? And how long would you say it took for the L-Methylfolate to work before you noticed an effect? I know it will be different for everyone... but it shouldn't be too different.

I definitely think that everybody is different and you really have to find what works for you but what really helped me the most was methylB12 which I take 1000 mg every morning and then methylfolate 15 mg every morning and I just kind of take the rest of the pills whenever I eat something. I try not to stress about the timing too much, I honestly started these pills for what I now realize was a bad reaction to stopping prozac and I should never have been on this stuff but my doctor didn't even realize that was what it was, it sucks but I am getting back on track now.

Magnesium(natural calm) tea at night helps me sleep and melatonin as well. I noticed the methyfolate start to really work 4 days ago when I upped it to to the full 15 mg and took the whole tablet of methyl b12 it has helped everything but I do reccomend starting slowly and also knowing first if you have a genetic mutation for the MTHFR gene and what type, I am compound heterozygous so I have one allele from my mom and one from my dad and my ability to methylate properly is only about 40 percent compared to somebody without this mutation. I have spent thousands of dollars looking for answers to this benzo stuff and vitamins and acupuncture and cupping and honestly everything possible so it took trial and error, but health and peace of mind is so worth it and I truly don't believe that anybody is a lost cause ever.

Inositol for OCD really helped as well, OCD is a real MTHFR(pun intended) and controlling that is such a nice feeling!