NYTimes, Feb./15: "Continued Questions on Benzodiazepine Use in Older Patients"

[La...]

Lapis, this is a truly interesting article. Thanks for this!!

"(Some states already impose limits: New York generally restricts prescriptions to a 30 day supply, without refills.) It is hard to think of another class of medications that, after 30 years of warnings, physicians still so frequently prescribe and older people so commonly take."

I didn't realize NY has restrictions. I wish other states did, too. However, I worry about the people who need to taper.

"They planned a program to help people discontinue chronic benzodiazepine use and sent letters announcing it to 50 older patients. “Half the people called and said, ‘Don’t contact me. I don’t want to talk about stopping,’” Dr. Simon recalled. Only five people agreed to discuss the pilot; two actually showed up. The study never took place."

Very interesting!

The other article, Why are benzos not yet controlled substances, looks excellent also. You chose some very good articles, Lapis! It's about time that these issues are talked about!

Hi Terry,

I remember that JAMA article very well. I printed it out because I thought it was so important. I didn't remember if this NYT article had been shared, but I agree that there are some very interesting points in it.

And yes, of course it's true that many people don't even want to consider stopping their benzos. It's one of the big issues that makes benzodiazepines so problematic. Most doctors probably give up and just refill the prescriptions.

When they talk about falls and fractures, I feel sick, though, since I know that it's DIZZINESS that precedes those things. That's what I and so many others are dealing with. I haven't fallen -- yet -- but I have near-falls every day. And I'm not a senior. I can't believe these meds are prescribed to seniors AT ALL. So dangerous!

Anyway, it's a good article, but it's two years old, so I hope they do a follow-up article.

It's a very good article.  I like that they discuss how hard it is to get off benzos, have a Dr. recommending Ashton's protocol and also warn against Z-drugs.  It really is well done.  They should to some a series on people's withdrawl stories... that would really help people to recognize the dangers.

Same here, Lapis - dizzy. But at least I can walk around. Earlier in benzo wd I had a really terrible time. Wouldn't want to ever repeat it!!!

It's a very good article.  I like that they discuss how hard it is to get off benzos, have a Dr. recommending Ashton's protocol and also warn against Z-drugs.  It really is well done.  They should to some a series on people's withdrawl stories... that would really help people to recognize the dangers.

That would be fantastic!

:thumbsup:. On that I wish my doctor was made to sit down and read all of this and other posts on here.    After reading the article j realize I was right when he said to me "just stay on them"...As it would be a hassle for him and he had been side stepping any responsibility for years.  Thanks for this. SBT