"Are Medical Doctors to Blame for the Opioid Overdose Crisis?"

[be...]

"Are medical doctors to blame for the opioid overdose crisis?"

Recent court case sheds light on the rise of fentanyl in Vancouver

Mike Howell / Vancouver Courier, February 15, 2017

http://www.vancourier.com/opinion/are-medical-doctors-to-blame-for-the-opioid-overdose-crisis-1.9967666

The judge summed it up in four sentences.

“In cross-examination, Dr. Kennedy agreed that much of the blame for what has been described as the opioid epidemic can be attributed to the over-prescription of opioids as pain medication by medical doctors. In the 1990s, doctors were convinced by prescription drug companies that opioid painkillers were effective and rarely caused addiction.”

And the last two sentences…

“As the medical profession started to better understand the risks associated with opioid use, including its addictive qualities, doctors started to cut patients off their prescriptions. This led to people turning to the street to find their drugs, which in turn led to an increased demand for opioids on the street.”

I really think that doctors should have the responsibility of tapering patients off whatever they drug they prescribe, in a SAFE manner, not just forcing a patient to go c/t. There would be a lot fewer drugs prescribed once they see the withdrawals people go through.

And shame on prescription drug companies for giving doctors erroneous and very dangerous information!  :tickedoff:

I totally agree Terry.  I could be mistaken, but I think this is the first I've heard of doctors being implicated in the fentanyl crisis in Vancouver, in the news.  This is not quite mainstream news unfortunately.  Somehow the origin of the opioid crisis is not mentioned (avoided, denied, overlooked, protected?) and we are made to feel that victims and street dealers, the government, even China are to blame, but never the doctors.  Glad it's been said, by a judge.  Makes me so angry.  Doctors should be going to jail.  They are the dealers as much as the guy that is being sentenced for 13 years. >:(

Maybe if doctors start being convicted, they'll think twice about prescribing pills. Just wish the benzo would finally be recognized as a potentially horrible drug beyond a few days!

Opioid/fentanyl crisis regularly make the news.  Hoping benzos are next in line to be widely recognized as dangerous, once "they" get a handle, if they ever get a handle, on opioid crisis.

I know when I had minor knee surgery, the surgeon gave me 200 pills of Oxycodone, a strong drug. When I asked him if he would be able to taper me off them, he said no, you are no longer my patient. So I threw them down the terlet and suffered with just Tylenol. I just refuse to take them at all, except if I have brain surgery. What jerks. :tickedoff:

Betsy

200 Oxycodone!? Geez.  Surely you would have become dependent.  So, he gave them to you and then fired you before you even  took them, before the real trouble started.  That says a lot.  Very smart of you to not even touch them.  I wouldn't either.  What is wrong with people?  >:(  >:(

200 Oxycodone!? Geez.  Surely you would have become dependent.  So, he gave them to you and then fired you before you even  took them, before the real trouble started.  That says a lot.  Very smart of you to not even touch them.  I wouldn't either.  What is wrong with people?  >:(  >:(

Yep, once he got his precious money he was done with me. I never take them. Ever. I don't know what is wrong with these people either. My dad was a doctor and was very responsible............Go figure.