neurontin/gabapenten Lyrica

[be...]

I think I've read this article before benzos-R-cruel but I think it's worth reading again. I am genuinely frightened by the potency of psychiatropic drugs (Lyrica is used off label for anxiety) and of their considerable potential to cause us long-term harm and Lyrica was such a devastating drug for me, its detrimental effects were pretty evident even in the initial first weeks when I first took it in antidepressant withdrawal. This drug had taken a huge eraser to my ability to remember proper nouns in particular, it was soul destroying. I believe I am right in thinking that there are a number of lawsuits against the manufacturers of Lyrica because of side effects and since 2008 the FDA has required Lyrica and Neurotonin to have a black box warning for suicidal ideation. I can't say I'm surprised that Lyrica is a death sentence for new brain synapses, I think my brain synapses would agree! I pity those who have taken it for years and it can cause considerable problems in withdrawal. So I most definitely wish I hadn't taken it.   

I think I've read this article before benzos-R-cruel but I think it's worth reading again. I am genuinely frightened by the potency of psychiatropic drugs (Lyrica is used off label for anxiety) and of their considerable potential to cause us long-term harm and Lyrica was such a devastating drug for me, its detrimental effects were pretty evident even in the initial first weeks when I first took it in antidepressant withdrawal. This drug had taken a huge eraser to my ability to remember proper nouns in particular, it was soul destroying. I believe I am right in thinking that there are a number of lawsuits against the manufacturers of Lyrica because of side effects and since 2008 the FDA has required Lyrica and Neurotonin to have a black box warning for suicidal ideation. I can't say I'm surprised that Lyrica is a death sentence for new brain synapses, I think my brain synapses would agree! I pity those who have taken it for years and it can cause considerable problems in withdrawal. So I most definitely wish I hadn't taken it. 

I am on Gabapentin...a pretty hefty dose. I was put on it in detox three years ago. I wish I would have never started it I find it extremely difficult to taper from. It causes me benzo like withdrawal symptoms. :-\

I feel for you benzo-R-cruel. I managed to dodge the problem of withdrawal from Lyrica simply because I wasn't on it for long enough but it had a profound effect on my brain, the memory loss made me seriously worried. I had a further experience of it down the line in benzo withdrawal that made question how suitable this drug was for people whose brains are already compromised by other psych drugs, it's bad enough on it's own! Not very wise on my part but I so wanted relief. I've come across others on here who have struggled to get off both Gabapentin and Lyrica. It seems that most of us will try or be offered adjunct drugs in this nightmare journey and sometimes we end up regretting that decision because I know I did.

I found it curious that Gabapentin gave you similar withdrawal symptoms as benzos but in doing some research it would appear that this drug increases GABA concentrations in the brain according to one article I read. Sorry I can't provide a link.

As for Lyrica although it doesn't bind to GABAA, GABAB or benzo receptors however in "cultured neurons prolonged application of pregabalin increases the rate of functional GABA transport." I'm not qualified to determine what this means for people like us but I am very glad not to be on Lyrica any more. Hope you manage to taper off Gabapenton very soon benzo-R-cruel and without too much difficulty. 

My brain can't figure it out liberty and I'm not so hot computer wise anyway, what can I say but links don't appear to be my strong suit!

I've done a bit more searching, Gabapentin is a GABA analogue which means it is structurally similar but not the same. It doesn't target the same receptors in the brain. The scientists who developed it wanted to mimic the effects of GABA. But I was right about Pfizer, they were guilty of trying to suppress studies that were either neutral or negative about Gabapentin and paid a fine of $430 million in 2011. 

My brain can't figure it out liberty and I'm not so hot computer wise anyway, what can I say but links don't appear to be my strong suit!

I've done a bit more searching, Gabapentin is a GABA analogue which means it is structurally similar but not the same. It doesn't target the same receptors in the brain. The scientists who developed it wanted to mimic the effects of GABA. But I was right about Pfizer, they were guilty of trying to suppress studies that were either neutral or negative about Gabapentin and paid a fine of $430 million in 2011.

Unfortunately, Big Pharma calls that "the cost of doing business" and they take it out of petty cash. They make much more money than any fine, so it's worth them to cheat. It's pathetic.

Unfortunately, Big Pharma calls that "the cost of doing business" and they take it out of petty cash. They make much more money than any fine, so it's worth them to cheat. It's pathetic.

I think you could start a thread entitled something like: Most recent fraud settlement/lawsuit against Big Pharma, and from what I can gather psychiatric drugs are top of the tree when it comes to fraud and corruption. I wonder if drug executives sleep at night but then they don't appear to have any scruples about the damage they cause to millions and when you are raking in lots of money you can afford to put fines in the category of expenses. Pathetic that this state of affairs goes on but kind of frightening how they feel immune to any public sanctions.

PS I have removed the final paragraph of this post because of the subject's connection to Scientology - I was unaware of it - just in case anyone was wondering. 

Maybe when I get my ducks on a row, I will start that thread. But I usually don't start threads. I just reply to them. Glad you got rid of that Scientology crap. :thumbsup:

Bets

Thankfully, I don't need Scientology to prove how rotten Big Pharma is Bets, they manage that all by themselves! Hope you get your ducks in a row real soon.    :)

Thankfully, I don't need Scientology to prove how rotten Big Pharma is Bets, they manage that all by themselves! Hope you get your ducks in a row real soon.    :)

yea I get you. My ducks are in a row. Have been for a long time. I meant when I get off.......... :smitten:

• 2 weeks later...
[d5...]
Well crud...I am on gabapentin, not for withdrawal but for back issues. Have been on it since October of this past year. currently at 600 mgs. 300 mgs twice daily. I don;t want to be on it anymore, but have decided tapering both might be hard, and see ativan as the evil now, and am going to taper off the gabapentin after i jump from the ativan and kind of stabalize somewhat. Now I fear I might never heal. I have since starting gabapentin wondered if it too "plays with my mind" and induces panic and fear, but have also thought of ativan interdose withdrawal and tapering doing this too. What a catch 22...am I just hindering my slow taper healing by taking the gabapentin? Will I always be like this? Oh the joy of fear...as f I weren't already a hypochondriac from withdrawal symptoms anyway. :P :P :P :P  :P :P :P :P :P:poop: :poop: