Study/'15:Neurotransmitters as food supplements: the effects of GABA on brain..

[La...]

This is a really interesting study from the Netherlands and Germany, called "Neurotransmitters as food supplements: the effects of GABA on brain and behavior".

Many BBs wonder if it makes sense to take GABA orally as a supplement, and this study speaks to that issue. According to this study, there's no conclusive evidence either way, but it does address some of the questions people might have. There's also a discussion of the enteric nervous system, i.e the gut, and how it plays into this question.

Food for thought!  ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4594160/ 

I'm glad they addressed that there are a lot of GABA receptors in the GI system and how important the gut microbiome is and the potential benefits of probiotics as well.  Also glad they mentioned the Vagus nerve's role too.  Thanks, Lapis

Yes, me too, BurnedOut! I'm thinking I should increase my intake of probiotics. Taking GABA as a supplement doesn't interest me at this point, but taking probiotics does. I also believe that most of the serotonin in our bodies is found in the gut, so it's a pretty important place! Lots happening in there!  ;)