BBC TV Newsnight clip - addiction / dependence - a bit of a hotchpotch

[lo...]

This was a very short piece and I didn't like it very much .... but it is what it is ...

At least the BBC is not ignoring the issue ..

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Well, Fiona I have to agree, but like you said this is a start, but it left me wanting to hear much more, Fiona I truly believe that it is you that they need to listen to, and you could address it like it should be.

I know you have been trying for a long time, but things do seem to be changing. Before this is all over I know you are going to be telling your story, mark my words. :thumbsup:

BG 

I am not so sure, BG.  There will be some vocal people on the radio on Sunday talking about A/Ds ... hopefully you will get to hear that programme .. not sure if someone will be able to transfer it to a YouTube video or not.  I have contacted Scottish TV again and BBC TV Scotland is researching for a programme ... but it may just be about A/Ds.  Benzos are not such a big problem now in the UK, not compared to A/Ds.  There is a huge problem with the illegal trade in benzos .. but that is a different issue.  Most of the publicity is about the illegal trade in Scotland.  >:( >:(>:( >:(  I don't know how many drug addicts there are compared to patients who are dependent but the drug addiction side causes so many social problems for the police and society in general.

Anyway ... that it is the situation.

Fiona  >:(

Thanks for explaining, I do like to listen on YouTube, but I will try to listen to the programe Sunday.

Yes I caught that about the illegal trade going on. I know you will always try to get the rest of the Story out, someday people will know what benzo's have done to people all over the World.

BG

Thanks for this, Fiona! It does seem that the word is spreading in your area, and that is good! I liked the video because anyone who is addressing the problem is certainly a step in the right direction. I just with the U.S. would start doing something.

There is a huge problem with the illegal trade in benzos .. but that is a different issue.  Most of the publicity is about the illegal trade in Scotland.  >:( >:(>:( >:(  I don't know how many drug addicts there are compared to patients who are dependent but the drug addiction side causes so many social problems for the police and society in general.

Benzo dependency has also caused many social problems for society....it's a hidden reality that has yet to become public knowledge/be exposed on a wide scale.

Let's hope that word gets out about how dangerous these drugs can be, sooner rather than later, for everyone's sake.

It feels like it's too late for so many already. Such a sad state of reality...The magnitude of this societal problem is surreal! And the fact it is still so well-hidden, places this problem in a camp beyond surreal....

Thanks Fiona for the BBC TV newsnight clip. :)

Hi BlueRose

I totally agree - the costs of benzo dependence must be massive but we don't create a visible problem for society and the costs are just hidden.  I would say that here in the UK, doctors know perfectly well how bad benzos are.  Two GPs have now said to me that "benzos are poison" - their choice of words and they would never prescribe them long term. Now I know some GPs in the UK are doing just that but I suspect it is mainly patients who have been on them so long they can't get off them.  I think the focus here really needs to be on antidepressants because doctors seem to think they are still okay ...  the current flurry of media actively is focusing on A/Ds.

There are several things working against the publication of the real story here, Fiona, not least of which is the ego of some BBC journalists & producers, whose careers and status are better served by programming which is sensationalist and ratings-driven. The quiet, background suffering of a relatively small percentage of people probably isn't considered dramatic enough to be punchy.

But there is another huge cohort, quite apart from the usual suspects, who don't want anything 'bigged up' and that cohort is made up of those patients who are on these drugs, doing reasonable okay and haven't run into any trouble yet. (apart from their own knowledge that going without a scheduled dose causes them severe, nasty effects).

That cohort is in the majortity, in Benzoland. Their pills are their life-line. They are utterly dependant. They are scared of any change to the status quo - understandably. And it would be naive of us to underestimate the influence of such a cohort in the big societal mix, both in terms of feedback through doctor-patient lines and directly, from affected patients (or their family members) who happen to be in positions of relative power. It is a hidden resistance. We can only guess at the strength of it. IMV it is doubtful that significant progress will ever be made without the willing support of all.

I think we have all been there, incidently, in that place - scared out of our wits that some bleedin' harpie group would bring about some serious changes that would cause us to lose our pills! I know I was that way, way back, in the mists of time  :)

I know the media have their own agenda, I guess that is always the case.  And it is very hard when many patients do "okay" on the drugs or are afraid of being without them.  It is the same with antidepressants.  But I am not so sure we need the support of the majority.  We just have to keep pushing to get our stories out, to demonstrate how harmful they can be.  Then patients can make more of an informed choice.  And we need services for the minority who do have difficulties ... rather than the majority.  Those who are dependent and who cannot get off the drugs or choose not to come off them would just continue taking them.

I have been left severely disabled as a result of coming off nitrazepam .. after 40 years my GP should not have advised me to come off it.  My life was pretty awful on the drug but at least I could function and look after myself, now it is unbearable off the drug.  So some patients should maybe just take them until they die.  I would not advise anyone who has been on a benzo for decades to come off it ... I would tell them the pros and cons of both choices but it is one huge risk.

I am not sure I am making much sense, my brain just doesn't seem to be working very well right now.

Fiona  :( :(

Hi,

Thanks for sharing that clip, Fiona. Can I ask, please..What is a "charity" in the UK? I've never really understood what it is and whether we might have an equivalent here in Canada. I don't think so.

As far as people staying on these meds forever, I can say that once you become dizzy, I doubt the vestibular system can normalize if you keeping taking them. It's a very scary place to be.

Hi Lapis

There are a few charities in the UK.  They were started up by people who went through horrendous withdrawals.  There are two in Bristol in the south of England - one run by Ian Singleton, the other by Una Corbett.  Actually I can only think of two at the moment. There are other services run by private companies in the north of England .. one is in Barry Haslam's city and is the result of his hard work.  But these services are for drug addiction as well as dependence as are the charities of course.  And that is about it, most of the country only has NHS-run addiction clinics which are not appropriate for those who are dependent, as you know.  There were NHS support groups all over the country in the 1990s I think - round the time of the class action and media exposure of the whole problem - they were gradually shut down.  Now that may be because of the declining prescription rates in the UK. Those who were able, have come off the drugs, the rest are stuck on them for life (my assumption!!!)  And as far as I know Heather Ashton ran the only dedicated withdrawal clinic for benzo-dependent patients.

I am sorry you have this dizziness .. do you still have it? 

I have met a lady on line in her 80s been on 5 mg nitrazepam for 40 years like me.  She is trying to come off it.  I really would much rather she didn't even try.  After my experience I think the risk is too great but she feels she ought to get off it.  I am not sure where she got that idea from. For some, it is just too late.

I am not very happy today!!  >:(

Hugs

Fiona  :smitten:

Okay, so a charity is a place where people can go to get help with a particular problem. How do the workers get paid -- or do they?

And yes, I'm still dizzy. Benzdiazepines are known as "vestibular suppressants" in the medical literature, and long term use can interfere with the process of vestibular compensation, which is the brain's way of normalizing balance over time. Antidepressants can be problematic as well, because they affect neurotransmitters that are involved in balance. There are at least 8 neurotransmitters involved in the vestibular system. Any medication that affects those neurotransmitters can make you dizzy.

It's completely debilitating for those of us who are greatly affected. And elderly people might be even more affected. It's dangerous and can lead to falls and fractures.

Yes the charities have a helpline and they also offer some face to face and group support but they don't have much in the way of resources, the staff are all volunteers as far as I know, they have limited opening hours .. certainly not all day, Monday to Friday.  One of the Bristol charities does publish basic stats on their website and the number of people they help in a year is limited, they don't have the money.  Ian Singleton and Una Corbett have basically dedicated their lives to this since they went through withdrawal themselves.  I don't know if the charities would continue without their dedication.  They might just fold.

I am sorry that you are so affected by dizziness - that must be horrible.  It is very hard to know what to do for the best ... I know it should be better for elderly folk to get off these drugs.  But after my own experience, I would say it is a huge risk.  GPs don't know about micro tapering, they would probably laugh at the idea, so the tapering process may well be done too quickly.

My life on benzos was one of great misery and disability but i could function and look after myself.  I can do neither now. So was it worth it?  I will give it another year or two and see what happens.

Still hoping for better days for us both.

But I am not so sure we need the support of the majority.  We just have to keep pushing to get our stories out, to demonstrate how harmful they can be. 

It may not be a question of support though, so much as the need to question the dominant general impression, which, by default, is provided by the majority. So many people are believed to be "okay" while on the drugs (even if we know they can't be) that there is probably no great motivation to change anything.  We are probably seen as an unfortunate but "special" fringe - an 'acceptable' loss in the harm/benefit weigh-up. That may be changing and I couldn't agree more that we need to keep on pegging away with our stories  ;)

I have been left severely disabled as a result of coming off nitrazepam .. after 40 years my GP should not have advised me to come off it.  My life was pretty awful on the drug but at least I could function and look after myself, now it is unbearable off the drug.  So some patients should maybe just take them until they die.  I would not advise anyone who has been on a benzo for decades to come off it ... I would tell them the pros and cons of both choices but it is one huge risk.

I know.  :smitten: Have been reading your stuff. You're a stalwart!  :smitten: :smitten:

I couldn't have stayed on it. It was actively poisoning me. I guess there are many people trapped in that awful position - too deeply into it, with only one very difficult - hellish - way out.

I am not sure I am making much sense, my brain just doesn't seem to be working very well right now.

Fiona  :( :(

You are making perfect, insightful sense as always, Fiona. I always admire your input. Many thanks for all of it  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I agree that it's very hard to know what to do. I think there may be a large genetic component to it, and perhaps there will be more action in that particular area of medicine. It's called "personalized medicine", and maybe someday it can be applied to the issue of how to withdraw people safely from benzos -- at whatever age.

In the meantime, I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time, Fiona. I know you've been at this for awhile. It's been a long haul for me too, but I don't regret the decision to get off the meds. It had to be done. Dizziness makes life impossible.

I know there's a woman who wrote a Success Story after being on the meds for something like 50 years. SusieJ, I think? I'd have to go back and check.

As far as the charities go, I'd say there's nothing like that here in Canada. We use word differently, so thanks for explaining what it is over the pond. If I ever make it back over there, I'll be able to speak the lingo! (Well, I've also got years of Corrie-watching to help me out!)