Long term care insurance issue - for those 60+!

[sq...]

It's been almost 4 months since finally beating the benzos and improvement continues.  Like so many who have posted here the initial physical symptom misery is 90% gone (the neck and back spasms make a sporadic appearance) and now it's more the psychological issues. Even these are improving. In my current state of feeling better and trying to get back on track with life I spoke to my financial planner.  I'm 60 so this is around the time it's generally advised to purchase long term care (LTC) insurance.  While it definitely is a good idea my planner suggested holding off for 6 months.  The reasons? The insurers will look for reasons to deny coverage so having your brain more healed and psyche more settled can only work in one's favor.  Evidently they will ask you to recall several items they mentioned at the start of the phone interview so a helpful hint is jot down those names, in case your brain still isn't firing on all cylinders. Since the LTC folks will also want to know what medications you are taking the additional time might also mean you will be able to wean off other medications you had to start to handle benzo w/d symptoms. While we all deserve to be able to take care of our insurance needs, this is one time when a minimal delay in that purchase could really help assure you of being considered "insurable".  Thought I'd pass that along since I hadn't seen a thread covering this topic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Squirrleygirl. when I was 60, I bought long term insurance. Strangely, they did not question me over the phone. I was on both Ambien and Clonazepam at the time. Not sure why not, but they did my husband, who is six years older than me.  He was having memory issues, so I jotted down some of the answers if he needed them, but he never did. As for you, do what you are comfortable with when it comes to jotting down the answers. My husband was so serious about getting the answers correct on the long term insurance questions, that he would not even look my way, when the interviewer asked the questions. I was just relieved he passed. Now, almost two months into my Clonazepam withdrawal, I doubt I could pass the test now. My brain works in bits and pieces and odd little chunks. This week, my spelling has gone south. Last week, it was hitting strange letters on the keyboard.

My best wishes to you.

Good idea. My brother bought this was he was in his '20s so his price is very low and now he's set. I wish I did it but I'm not 60...........I would have to mention too many drugs anyway.......