Updosing Support Group

[no...]

Would like input, pls.

I was on klonopin, originally, was cutting fine until mirtazapine put me into acute (whether acute klonopin or mirtaz CT, I don't know, but SO very ill).  That was 3 years ago.

I never did updose klon from there, well, did try a speck up for a week with no result, and stupidly continued taper while totaly unstable.

THEN went to valium.... then from valium tried back to clon as was incredibly depressed, now I am off clonopin for a month.  Got off my speck of .015 mg.

BUT doing worse ever.

Wondering if it makes sense to go back on (but after 3 years that hard to admit it an error).  I did try bit more valium and it makes me sick.  Valium has been terrible for me.

Am trying a bit of lyrica to help.

What do you guys think?  I am very problematic as pre benzo a huge sleep prob, and seems only meds could take for it were benzos.

I hae had every symptom you can imagine tho no psychosis...  but really distorted thinking.  And I have had myclonus jerks, very upsetting, as got real low and off.

OK, end of my novel!

Thanks.

Oh, did not update sig yet but on val and ambien still.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ca...]

• [NJ...]

• [Ba...]

• [va...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like input, pls.

I was on klonopin, originally, was cutting fine until mirtazapine put me into acute (whether acute klonopin or mirtaz CT, I don't know, but SO very ill).  That was 3 years ago.

I never did updose klon from there, well, did try a speck up for a week with no result, and stupidly continued taper while totaly unstable.

THEN went to valium.... then from valium tried back to clon as was incredibly depressed, now I am off clonopin for a month.  Got off my speck of .015 mg.

BUT doing worse ever.

Wondering if it makes sense to go back on (but after 3 years that hard to admit it an error).  I did try bit more valium and it makes me sick.  Valium has been terrible for me.

Am trying a bit of lyrica to help.

What do you guys think?  I am very problematic as pre benzo a huge sleep prob, and seems only meds could take for it were benzos.

I hae had every symptom you can imagine tho no psychosis...  but really distorted thinking.  And I have had myclonus jerks, very upsetting, as got real low and off.

OK, end of my novel!

Thanks.

Oh, did not update sig yet but on val and ambien still.

Barbara,

I am sorry you aren't feeling well. You are probably in acute from the klonopin right now. I don't have any advice. You haven't felt well in so long, I hope you figure out a way through. I don't know if I would go back on the K simply because you weren't feeling well on it, unless you were going to go on a lot more than you were on to try to get stable. And I don't know if that would work. I hope you can figure it out soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

How do you feel now?

Thank you

Enikő

Hey everyone,

Just an update and hopefully the info might help someone.

After updosing it took about 3 weeks and I finally had an entire week where I'm mostly human again. 

Going to hold awhile longer on this .75 K/day.

Breck

Hi, all.

Wellhave  stayed off the klon...  still blah on valium and ambien.

At night Lyrica was helping some, but then did not work, altho not on it that long.  Think it can take edge off withdrawal and puts me in slightly better mood, tho.

With Covid, tho, been struggling  setting up 'supply chain.'  Like as am at risk, can't go to store in evening for a few items because:  no items;  can't go in cuz of autoimmune and pre existing concerns.  Reache out everywhere and  one kind person left groceries at  door, and some neighbors also reaching out a little.

Have to say have had more outreach than in last 3 plus years, which is great.  The worrying and calling here and there to try to get stuff very taxing, tho.  2 grocery chains did not come thru and trying to set up online stuff hard with noknowledge and problem looking  at screens.

Anyow, tht is all the news.....  hope you guys staying safe.

Hi, all.

Wellhave  stayed off the klon...  still blah on valium and ambien.

At night Lyrica was helping some, but then did not work, altho not on it that long.  Think it can take edge off withdrawal and puts me in slightly better mood, tho.

With Covid, tho, been struggling  setting up 'supply chain.'  Like as am at risk, can't go to store in evening for a few items because:  no items;  can't go in cuz of autoimmune and pre existing concerns.  Reache out everywhere and  one kind person left groceries at  door, and some neighbors also reaching out a little.

Have to say have had more outreach than in last 3 plus years, which is great.  The worrying and calling here and there to try to get stuff very taxing, tho.  2 grocery chains did not come thru and trying to set up online stuff hard with noknowledge and problem looking  at screens.

Anyow, tht is all the news.....  hope you guys staying safe.

Barbara,

I feel the same. My son is at high risk due to autoimmune disease and being on two immune suppressing drugs including prednisone. So I am trying to source everything online. It is exhausting. I am doing a grocery store pick up (order online then pick up) about once every week or so, but by the time they shop my order the toilet paper is gone. I don't want to physically go to the store but may have to. I also realize I may lose my job. The stress is real. Please stay in and take care. These are very stressful time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just been too stressed to post.  But today especially bad.  I have tried a little more this or that I don't know, plus the covid stress.  Now I see NOBODY at all... am terribly depressed.

I guess nowadays people talk on the phone-- I will have to try it with someone interested.  It is a whole new world now.

Not seeing any rays of hope at the moment.

Wonder if I took a part of a klonopin how I'd feel...  sigh... not hopeful about anything.

Hope you guys are ok.

Hi Barbara,

I'm sorry to hear things are hard. SO hard for so many people. I have especially thinking of those who live alone, like yourself. Phone and video calls are definitely very useful during this time. Do you have anyone close you could call?

Sending you love.

• 2 weeks later...

If I updose or completely reinstate will I find any relief from panic attacks?

Daniel, because everyone reacts differently to benzo's, there is no true answer to that question.  You could, but there is also a chance you won't.  That's what makes benzo's so difficult.  All you can do is try, and hope for the best or not updose or reinstate and try to work yourself through the panic attacks.

Good luck.  Mary

• 2 months later...

Just checking in..... guess nobody has updosed since I was here?

I may have to try it.

I was bad, then with covid stress and almost 100% isolation I am worse.

How is everyone doing or are most people or gone by now?  thanks.

Well, I am still holding my updose from almost two years ago, from about .33 mg of K to .75 K, still no plans to taper, still having too much else going on in my life I have to deal with and need to be 100 percent present for. At this point I plan to taper either the K or the mirtazapine very slowly once my son's health is stable and he is at college, which hopefully will be fall of 2021. I have no regrets about my updose although I do wonder if I would have been okay at .5 instead of the .75. My doctor thinks I take 1 mg so I am building up quite a supply in case I get cut off for some reason.

I think there are no easy answers; in my case I was just done with trying to torture myself.

Hi All, I updosed today back to 4 my. I did a daily microtaper and hit a big wall and felt a rush of symptoms at 3.5mg. My tipping point was today, 4 panic attacks. I gave up on torturing myself and will wait till the world is a bit more stable for me.

If I were to updose would I still stay on valium?  Been on it years now in attempt to get off klon.  Wish had stayed on the klon.  When I got off entirely, then get some myclonic jerks which bother me a lot.

So all this time, little progress.  But it was mirtazapine for 6 weeks low dose that threw me into this--  fried something in me.   

So if on part of ambien (which does not work for me) and valium, and increase in valium does not seem to make me feel any good at all.. would i switch?

I confuse myself.

I am totally agoraphobic now other than walking around the block.  My little yoga place closed never to reopen, and have been having meals delivered.  I drove one time a few miles and a red light ticket camera got me and i did not even realize had violated anything... that has shaken me.  Photo of me looks so tight, tense, ugly,old, too.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I tapered from 2 mg K down to 0.25 mg over 6 months.  I did pretty well until these last few cuts which were too aggressive, I believe.  I felt good at 0.25 twice a day which would still put me at 75% down from my original dose.  I'm having panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia and exercise intolerance.  I just don't feel like I can live this way much longer.  Any thoughts about an updose and long hold?

Thanks

Danko

Hi!

I tapered from 2 mg K down to 0.25 mg over 6 months.  I did pretty well until these last few cuts which were too aggressive, I believe.  I felt good at 0.25 twice a day which would still put me at 75% down from my original dose.  I'm having panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia and exercise intolerance.  I just don't feel like I can live this way much longer.  Any thoughts about an updose and long hold?

Thanks

Danko

If its from tapering too fast or too big a cut, then going back up a bit to meet where your bodys adjustment is at can work well.. -a bit of a hold usually goes well with that too..

The specifics, how much and how long, are rather individual it seems, but the last dose one felt “stable” at is a common goal.. 

Bear in mind that the low doses can just simply be more complicated and require some extra time..

:)

• 5 months later...

I have just read through this entire thread, and am wondering if any of the people who were posting in it are still here and if so, how are you all doing after your updoses?  I took the advice of a doctor (who I have seen for years on and off) and updosed back to .5 mg of lorazepam (which is half of my original dose), 10 days ago.  The doctor felt it was likely the lorazepam withdrawal was the culprit for my memory and cognition issues, and that updosing would have a good shot of fixing this problem.  That was the last dose I felt mentally stable at, in the sense of still having a good memory and thinking clearly.  It was when I went below .5 mg in my taper that my brain went haywire.

So far, I don't feel any clearer, I just feel sedated.  I am hoping that, as others related, I will stabilize in another week or even another month.  I am trying not to think about the alternative, as updosing was my desperation move. 

Haimona

Hi, so you were not off for a time?

I did not updose other than in desperation, took like 1/8 of a klon just to see...  and like you said, felt dizzy and sedated.  So I am still off it and the valium.

Frankly, I don't know what to do.  I hope you will report back on how you are.  I am told it take 3 weeks to stabilize.

Hi Barbara,

I was never completely off the lorazepam, as you can see in my signature.  I had tapered down to .251 mg and was holding there since last December after a very bad wave.  I have to work full time and that has definitely made all of this so much harder. 

So far today, it has been 12 days since the updose and I thought I was having a bit of improvement today, but tonight something very stressful happened (not med/taper related) and now I feel foggy again.  I am hoping the improvement will continue tomorrow, but I don't honestly have a huge amount of hope.  As I said, this was a desperation move.  I think that either 1) the timing of this issue was just a coincidence, and there is something else wrong with me, or 2) somehow the taper below .5 mg triggered, or triggered a worsening of, some other issue that was already brewing.  But ... of course I would love to prove myself wrong, and prove the doctor right.

I will keep you updated.  If it does take three weeks to stabilize, then I can still hope for some improvements in the next week or so. 

I hope you also will get relief from your symptoms.

Haimona

I up-dosed to .50mg clonzapam after the pandemic started. I split in half and take .25 daily. I was on this drug for 15 years at 2mg originally. I don't take it everyday though, I try other methods first.  I have it as a safe thing in my mind since I know its there.

There another alternative called  the tapping method. Its great, I do everyday almost. It slows my heart rate down.

I have just read through this entire thread, and am wondering if any of the people who were posting in it are still here and if so, how are you all doing after your updoses?  I took the advice of a doctor (who I have seen for years on and off) and updosed back to .5 mg of lorazepam (which is half of my original dose), 10 days ago.  The doctor felt it was likely the lorazepam withdrawal was the culprit for my memory and cognition issues, and that updosing would have a good shot of fixing this problem.  That was the last dose I felt mentally stable at, in the sense of still having a good memory and thinking clearly.  It was when I went below .5 mg in my taper that my brain went haywire.

So far, I don't feel any clearer, I just feel sedated.  I am hoping that, as others related, I will stabilize in another week or even another month.  I am trying not to think about the alternative, as updosing was my desperation move. 

Haimona

I have not been around for a long time. I updosed over two and a half years ago and am holding--too much life stress with a sick child and constant nausea. I continue to do well on my .75 of klonopin, original dose was 1 mg. I have no symptoms anymore. I will try to taper very slowly in the fall once my son is off at college. You probably need more time to adjust to the updose. I noticed over time I just felt better and better. I also may just stay on indefinitely if I can't taper without horrific symptoms.

NJStrength,

Thank you for coming back on here to share your experience! Do you remember how long it took for you to stabilize at the .75 dose?

I can now report it has been just over three weeks since I updosed and I had a really nice three-day window starting at day 20, followed by a semi-window day today (day 23).  My sleep has definitely improved starting at about 2.5 weeks in to the updose, and I am sure that is a big part of my overall improvement.  I am feeling cautiously optimistic.

Haimona

Haimona

I have not been around for a long time. I updosed over two and a half years ago and am holding--too much life stress with a sick child and constant nausea. I continue to do well on my .75 of klonopin, original dose was 1 mg. I have no symptoms anymore. I will try to taper very slowly in the fall once my son is off at college. You probably need more time to adjust to the updose. I noticed over time I just felt better and better. I also may just stay on indefinitely if I can't taper without horrific symptoms.

Hi, NJ, nice to see you.  Glad you are doing well!  When you did updose, how did you feel immediately?  How long did it take til the dose was working for you ok?