More publicity in UK press .... forthcoming book "Sedated Society"

[lo...]

Luke Montagu, co-founder of CEPUK, in press again.  Tells his story once again but promotes forthcoming book by James Moore, also of CEPUK, "Sedated Society".  Should be worth reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4173468/My-GP-gave-antidepressants-didn-t-need-20-years.html

More information about the book, due out in February.

http://www.palgrave.com/gb/media-centre/press/the-sedated-society/11994774

We continue to wait for response from UK Dept of Health to BMA re funding of national helpline.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

It baffles me how doctors Re happy to dish out ssri and SNRIs out like sweets even for things like reducing menopausal hot flushes. The monoamine theory on which mode of action is based have no evidence and if your serotonin is already high or normal it could be elevated to the point of anxiety agitation or toxicity. No doctor measures your serotonin that would require a lumbar puncture or brain scan. Yet doctors really in the UK do not like prescribing benzos at all saying they are addictive well so are other psychoactive drugs but they are OK it seems. Very skewed logic

Thanks for posting this one, Fiona. This article gives a clearer account of the sequence of events in Luke Montagu's misadventures with medications than the previous articles I read.

Here is more information about the forthcoming book.  I have added the link to the opening post but here it is again so that you don't miss it.  Whether or not there will be anything new in the book, I don't know but these guys are keeping this issue in the press and the authorities cannot continue to ignore it which is the main thing.  At least I hope they can't.

http://www.palgrave.com/gb/media-centre/press/the-sedated-society/11994774

As for the skewed logic ... I guess the same happened when benzos first came on the market, they were better than barbiturates so they were preferred, A/Ds are now seen as better than benzos ... but why they are so widely prescribed I do not know.  A retired GP said to me recently that the waiting rooms would be full if GPs did not have such a tool .... so I guess it is a way of managing patient demand ....  >:( >:(>:(  and costs less than talking therapies. 

I'm so glad to see all this new UK benzo news today, that these guys are keeping it in the press and not letting up on the pressure.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Fiona and Dave, for the other article.

Hi benzohno

We seem to have another flurry of activity with the TV programme last night in Ireland featuring Shane Kenny ... I am wondering if these guys are deliberately coordinating their efforts ... maybe not but things do seem to happen at the same time.

The book description looks excellent! I've seen James Davies in a few videos and really liked him. He comes across as a well-spoken, intelligent man who has really done his homework. He knows his topic well.

Stephen Nolan, right? He seemed interested in the topic and said it might require more time.

You never know.  Perhaps James Davies will promote his book, get more publicity, possibly get on TV.

I think the response from the Department of Health to the BMA will provoke a reaction from the campaigners ... we are assuming it will be a negative response to a helpline etc.  Another opportunity for publicity possibly.

Fingers crossed.  Of course if the DoH were to agree to fund services that would be much better.

What is absolutely certain is that this issue is not going to go away ...

It is such a pity I can't read ...  >:( >:(

I am wondering if there will be anything new in it or if it will just be pulling together information already available into an academic textbook which can then be used as a resource by students, lecturers, researchers, health care professionals etc.  Either way, it would be great to read it.  Maybe someone could post their views after reading it. 

It is such a pity I can't read ...  >:( >:(

I am wondering if there will be anything new in it or if it will just be pulling together information already available into an academic textbook which can then be used as a resource by students, lecturers, researchers, health care professionals etc.  Either way, it would be great to read it.  Maybe someone could post their views after reading it. 

Are your eyes still poor, Fiona? I have a bad case of dry eyes, which makes my vision blurry. I'm amazed I passed the eye test at DMV..........

My eyesight isn't great because I haven't been able to get a new pair of glasses for nearly 4 years now but that is not the problem.  I just cannot process written text for more than a few minutes .. and I tend to skim over it and just get bits of it which is okay for some things but sometimes I want to make sure I really have understood what is being said.  I am okay with short posts and short emails but that is about it. Longer posts I tend to read little bits here and there to get an idea but it isn't really much use doing that. I had a slight improvement last year when I started reading a  Children's Book. Wind in the Willows, and it was really nice, simple language, larger print but I can't do that again this year.

Two of the possible benefits is that I have never read very much about the ins and outs of benzo withdrawal, the science behind it etc, because I can't ...  :D :D :D so no obsessiveness with that here ... and I have never read the success stories so never compare myself to other people really. 

But I can write plenty as you can see ....

It is great you passed the eye test in spite of your problems.  I did have my eyes tested at home last year and my eyes have got a little worse probably just age ... but I was too unwell to choose new spectacles and since then I have been in a horrible wave.  So hopefully some time this year I will get a chance to choose spectacles .. get my hair cut and go to the dentist.  That is my ambitions at the moment.  What a life!!  >:( >:(  And get out for a walk.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope you are doing a bit better than me.

Hugs

Fiona  :smitten:

Sorry to hear that Fiona. I'll keep this short (lol) and I know what a mess you have been in but you'll get better. In the meantime get your hair cut and go to the dentist. Two accomplishments that can help with your self esteem. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smitten: :smitten:

Betsy :)