Herbs etc. that helped daily with anxiety during my taper from 6mg Klonopin

[Te...]

After I began my taper from 6mg Klonopin I began to have anxiety. I quickly researched for Herbs etc. that would help with benzo related anxiety. The following are the Herbs ect. that I chose

to use and have found helpful during my taper. I can feel results as soon as 30 min following an up dose of Herbs. I take these once each day unless noted otherwise.

Taurine 500mg

Insositol 500mg

Q-10 100mg

B-6 200mg

Fish Oil 2400mg

Magnesium Glycinate 400mg

Biotin 500mg

DHEA 25mg

Multiple Vitamin

Breakfast 1 cup oatmeal,almonds & walnuts

3X/Day or as needed 2,128mg Tart Cheery Powder (Body Calm)

"          "          "         400mg Passion Flower extract (Body Calm supreme)

I made tea with the following: Helps to calm me down!

Valerian Root extract 4-6 dropper's full 3-4x/day                  

American Ginseng 1 teaspoon root powder 3-4x/day

Two Green Tea bags 3-4x/day      

I hope these Herbs etc. are helpful!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These items all helped until I got below .5mg then insomnia,anxiety,inner trembling & depression it me hard. After much thought & suggestions form other Buddies I have up dosed to 1mgK

and plan to do a slow titration taper.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update 4/11/10: I now use no supplements, herbs or chemicals (except the K I am getting off). The reason is from what I have learned any thing that effects our central nervous system, messes

with our mind and does not help the healing of the GABA stuff! The one thing that has been very helpful besides a slow titration(which is soooo worth the effort) is the sleep tracts anxiety cd which I listen to during the day. when anxiety is bad. This helps to calm my mind without adding chemicals to my system! I you are interested in the Sleep Tracts system and the hypnosis/sleep cd look at the insomnia section of Benzo Buddies. Peace & Healing to All!

Teakettle

Thats quite a dose of supplements. I know the B6 and magnesium made my symptoms flare up.  I think my body does well getting it's nutrients from food ( the natural way).

ALSO.....

My taper went very good and fast on Cheeseburgers, Tuna Fish, Pizza, Pasta, Ham, Meatloaf and anything else I can shove down my throat.......  :thumbsup:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hi Gman747! I include the tuna fish like you. I have had a little Pizza. The Pasta,Cheeseburger,meatloaf & ham are even in good times not on my list of staples. I usually go for lentils,brown rice,

oatmeal,tuna,salmon,fruit and salads! What ever makes it so you can cross the finish line!! Congratulations on getting down to .02mg Klonopin. Looks like your slow titration & intestinal fortitude

have served you well. The supplements have been a big help but I also think a determined mind is what over comes the K monster!!

Teakettle

• 2 weeks later...

Teakettle that is why my friend you can tolerate those supplements. What you are explaining about your diet is the staple of getting better not from just benzos, but many health issues. Keeping inflammation and blood sugar low is the key to shining health as I personally am finding from a low sugar diet and high in things like salmon and flaxseed salads and sulfur foods-ie. cabbage,spinach,garlic,onions,lentils,beans,asparagus, eggs, etc. It is amazing how this time down I have felt. Still have fingers crossed, but wow my strict attention to blood sugar and inflammation has made a world of difference. I have also supplemented some vitamins that I did not incorporate last time. Diet is KEY. That saying "you only get out of life what you put in" couldn't be more honest with food we put into our bodies. Rock on teakettle and may bright shining health give you years of enjoyment. :yippee:

Loved the post,

RB

Revoultionblue  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your experience with healing by the use of natural type foods. Look under Alternative Therapy I posted a few foods that support the body in making GABA!

I have found that giving up coffee and drinking green tea has helped with day time anxiety!  :thumbsup:

Today I ordered some L-theanine (also in green tea) and GABA. I will give them a try and let you know if they help!

Best luck RB with your healing!  :thumbsup:

Teakettle

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone here followed the suggestions of pointofreturn.com, or The Road Back, or neurogenesis.com? All three offer all kinds of nutrients that help with tapering off benzos. Not sure any of them are perfeft, and Point of Return and The Road Back are both expensicve, but they seem very knowlegable about all of this. Has anyone tried them? I'm desperate to reduce the nervousness and anxiety I feel now every day. I was only up to 2 mg of ativan, which doesn't sound like a lot but I am very sensitive to meds. I started the Ativan during my cancer scare last october, it was a very traumatic time. I tapered down starting about a month and 1/2 ago to 1.5 mg, and then switched to valium, but I am very unstable and am really scared.

I don't believe in any of those programs that promise quick relief. I was extremely desperate for something to ease my problems last summer and I have found that  a super diet and strict attention to inflammation and even blood sugar as well as a diet properly balanced  in good fats,proteins,complex carbs and a minimum of vitamins/minerals can do probably more than any program promising relief from benzos. I have heard many trying the road back program without any shining results. That doesn't mean that you won't benefit. I think it is sad when people try to make huge profits off of other people's pain. But that is the way of wall street I guess. I think the power of the body to regenerate in due time is extraordinary. The best time to be eating healthy and trying supplements is on the way down in your taper not at the end when you are stressed enough. As you are SLOWLY taking the drug out of your body you need to be increasing nutrients so you don't get too sick. I think this is your best bet. The following article is probably the best one I have come across yet in the power of the body to heal.  What we think as bad feelings and sickness is really our body's way of cleaning out and trying to get balance from all the bandaids we put on it in the form of synthetic made made chemicals. (Gotta love those patents $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) 8) Anyway here it is. Inspiring as can be. Makes you realize the power of time and care. http://livingbyheart.tripod.com/xresearch/id53.html

Healing and hopeful,

Rev

• 3 weeks later...
I find that decaf. Green Tea Extract, Blackbery extract, omega-3 and Hawthorn extract are very helpful with lots of powerful antioxidants! Best Wishes!

Hi Yoda

I switched to L-Theanine to eliminate the caffeine in the green tea. I since that change I have had a slight reduction in anxiety. May also be due to switching to slow titration vs old dry cut. The

anxiety tape on Sleep tracks does help with anxiety also. I am using it during the day often to see if it has a cumulative effect.

Teakettle

Hi Gman 7470

Thanks for asking how I am doing not to bad since I stopped dry cutting and fast taper. My new plan of 1%/day milk/titration. Also using TC advice on a 40/60 dose split to help with sleep.

My main issues are anxiety and insomnia (much less than before when dry cutting). I have just kind of gotten in the groove of the slow taper thing.  I have got some good results from other buddies ideas including a hypnosis sleep cd and sleep tracks (brain waive technology). Both have given me some relief from the insomnia & anxiety. I am just hanging in there for the long haul but still anxious to get it over with. Not so much though that I would even consider a C/T or fast taper! Have you had a Cheeseburger lately? Hope your still healing well and are completely healed soon Gman7470!!!!!!!!!

Teakettle

mornin tea,

I also found the insomnia improve with titration. This may pass quickly and totally as did mine after I started titration.  

I'm glad your doing OK, and yes, cheeseburgers, plenty of them  :laugh: feeling much better now.