Herbs etc. that helped me SLEEP EVERY NIGHT during 6mg Klonpin Taper

[Te...]

At 6mg Klonopin I started my taper. I started to have mild insomnia and quickly researched ways to reduce insomnia during a benzo withdrawl. I also looked for Herbs etc. that would help repair

GABA receptors. The following are the Herbs etc. I selected with the most confirmed information showing positive results for other people. I take these items each night 30 min before sleep. I

only had two rough nights during my taper from 6mg Klonopin. The two rough nights were just after a cut of .25mg toward the end of my taper and by dosing more I did go to sleep.

Tart Cherry Powder (Body Calm) 4246mg   additional if I woke at night.

Passion Flower (Body Calm Supreme) 800mg    "    "      "     "    "    "        Taken every night with either of the following.

Valerian Root Extract 6 droppers full               "    "      "     "    "    '

SleepMD   384mg  1 tab (white willow extract,valerian extract,lemon balm extract,melatonin,passion flower extract, Q-10,scutellaria) over the counter drug free sleep aid.

Alternating ever night with

Diphenhydramine HCL 50mg   2 tabs (Benadril) over the counter sleep aid.

I also have made a habit of eating oatmeal with almonds & walnuts for breakfast. Also drink green tea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This stuff all helped till I reached the lower levels of my taper. Now my sleep has gone from workable to poor!

I guess I should just be thankful for what sleep I have obtained in the past. I am still able to force a few hours sleep with the above aids however it is broken up during the night & finished with a early awakening.

My plan now is to continue with the supplements. I have bought some L-theanine & GABA. I know many sources say they wont work (wont cross the blood brain barrier). I am willing to take a chance and see if by chance maybe they might help me as some claim they do!  :thumbsup:

Hope this is helpful!

Teakettle

I'm not a fan of the Passionflower or Valerian since it messes with GABA.

I am glad these worked for you. I haven't eaten caffeine in almost two years. I miss my chocolate! lol but I can't.

Question: where do you buy tart cherry powder?

I'd like to give it a try. I'm suffering my arse off.  :idiot:

Also, isn't green tea a stimulant? Maybe I should start drinking it again!

L'andy

[21...]

I'm not a fan of the Passionflower or Valerian since it messes with GABA.

I am glad these worked for you. I haven't eaten caffeine in almost two years. I miss my chocolate! lol but I can't.

Question: where do you buy tart cherry powder?

I'd like to give it a try. I'm suffering my arse off.  :idiot:

Also, isn't green tea a stimulant? Maybe I should start drinking it again!

L'andy

L'andy-

Green tea contains L-theanine which is an amino acid and a natural calming one at that. They do make decaf green tea. You can also take L-theanine in pill form(is not a prescription). I use Suntheanine chewable tablets that I buy at The Vitamin Shoppe and find they actually do help. You can do a goole search on "Suntheanine" and read up on it. There are other brands of L-theanine also in non-chewable tablets also. HTH.

Just Breathe

Thanks JB! I'll start sipping green tea again sometime. Tastes great too with proper flavoring.

Let me know if you know where to buy the tart cherry power or at least tart cherry juice. I have been wanting to try that for a long time. It seems very natural, pretty much dietary. But, I don't want to order it online. Shipping takes too long  ::) Wondering if it can be bought at a grocery store.

L'andy

[21...]

Thanks JB! I'll start sipping green tea again sometime. Tastes great too with proper flavoring.

Let me know if you know where to buy the tart cherry power or at least tart cherry juice. I have been wanting to try that for a long time. It seems very natural, pretty much dietary. But, I don't want to order it online. Shipping takes too long  ::) Wondering if it can be bought at a grocery store.

L'andy

L'andy-

Tart cherry juice shoud be available at most health food stores. Check your local phone book and call around :thumbsup:

Just Breathe

Hi Comisado!

I have also read that green tea has the ability to calm and extend the half life of benzos! Helpful when tapering on klonopin.

I have found the tart cherry mentioned in several sources regarding reducing anxiety. The only place I have found the tart cherry powder is on line at TBR HEALTH. This is one of the supplements recommended by James Harper in his book "How To Get Off Klonopin Safely". It usually takes 5-7 days for me to receive an order by UPS. Hope this helps you!!!!!!  

Teakettle                                                                         

L'andy,

I see you already got some great advice on where to get the tart cherry powder.  I own a couple of Harper's books too, and I did buy some of the tart cherry stuff, I have only used it once or twice when I had a rough time sleeping and I believe it was helpful to me.  This was really the only supplement I have been able to use successfully, even fish oil reved up my wd symptoms. :D

TC