Antihistamine for insomnia? Never again!

[89...]

[89...]

I have tried a lot of antihistamine for my insomnia.Today I start to read about them and many of these are actually antipsychosis meds! They effect dopamine and much more in the brain. I had use Phenergan and I got for the first time very bad side effects like extreme high pulse. I didn't know this crap has to been taper off too!!  I had use them for about 4 years 2-4 times a week sometimes during bad w/d every night. Now have I been off them for a week and just stopped take them except for one night. I have sxs from this crap. Shaking, vomiting, rapid heart beat, nausea, dizzy. I found out they have to be taper of in 3 months!! The sxs last for about up to 14 days. Almost done then...

I have throw them in the bin now...

My doc didn't told me I had to taper them off. I found out from the web when I googled about them. In Sweden the only report about them is dry mouth and less tears. I am so angry  :tickedoff:

Yes, unfortunately there is no "great little pill" for insomnia. If there was, we would all be on it! There is a price to pay for any drug "help", and oftentimes we don't know the real price for quite a while.

If you use a drug--

--do your research on it ahead of time, don't trust your doctor! educate yourself. Know the pros and cons.

--use the lowest dose that is effective.

--use it for the shortest amount of time possible, never consider it a "forever" thing (wish I had taken that to heart!)

--assume you may need to taper it and plan accordingly.

[89...]

But this is really strange. In Sweden this pills are not classified as a neuroleptic medicine. It is in The US and I guess other countries too. I have asked my doc at the pharmacy and googled Swedish websites about Phenergan. Doc's give this medicine to pregnant women if they have nausea during pregnancy. Few side effects are reported here. But when I read articles about Phenergan it is a anti psychotic drug and have many side effects. Side effects I got and the pharmacy and doc's never heard about these. Well if I had take neuroleptic...!

I have now reported this side effects to my doc and he will tell the company that sell this drug to add them to the drug description for pharmacy's, doc's and patients. So if I got a new medicine I will look at other websites than the Swedish.

I got all side effects for C/T from a neuroleptic medicine. It made me really angry when the pharmacist said it is an old medicine and side effects isn't update. What??? Phenergan was put on the market in my country during 1960 something!!! And doc's give this to pregnant women?!! I know I wont put it in my mouth again. In Sweden it is sold as just a antihistamine even though it effect Dopamine. All neuroleptic drugs have an effect on Dopamine .  :tickedoff:

Even if Phenergan is a "weak" neuroleptic drug. Not as strong as Seroquel or Zyprexa. I had have them too. For insomnia. I can say I had them just a short time. I became a zombie and fat. Now it is strict rules for Swedish doc's to not prescribe these meds for anxiety or insomnia.It is for schizofrenia and psychosis.

Maybe my w/d from Valium isn't so rough and my tinnitus is maybe not just caused by benzo. Phenergan can cause tinnitus and a hell lot more  :tickedoff:

Lucky I hasn't take this every night. Medicines make me scared. I am afraid of taking just a Aspirin because I am afraid of how it effect my body and my w/d from Valium.

We can't trust anyone! Now they have put passion flower sleeping pills here without prescription on the market. They say it works on GABA as benzo but don't effect the brain as benzo does. A GABA drug is ALWAYS a GABA drug? and GABA drugs are causing addictions and w/d effects. When zolpidem first was sold on the market is was sold as a non addictive sleeping aid. What do we know today?

Will they ever learn???  :tickedoff:

Lucky I hasn't take this every night. Medicines make me scared. I am afraid of taking just a Aspirin because I am afraid of how it effect my body and my w/d from Valium.

A GABA drug is ALWAYS a GABA drug? and GABA drugs are causing addictions and w/d effects. When zolpidem first was sold on the market is was sold as a non addictive sleeping aid. What do we know today?

Yes, unfortunately there is no "great little pill" for insomnia. If there was, we would all be on it! There is a price to pay for any drug "help", and oftentimes we don't know the real price for quite a while.

If you use a drug--

--do your research on it ahead of time, don't trust your doctor! educate yourself. Know the pros and cons.

--use it for the shortest amount of time possible, never consider it a "forever" thing (wish I had taken that to heart!)

Sundance / meowie - I feel the same way about meds and supplements. There is no quick fix.  I had a doctor promise me that zopiclone was non addictive. She said it was very mild, and that she even prescribed it for 'her' old ladies at 7.5mg per night. Just one tablet made me really ill.

[89...]

A GABA drug is ALWAYS a GABA drug? and GABA drugs are causing addictions and w/d effects. When zolpidem first was sold on the market is was sold as a non addictive sleeping aid. What do we know today?

If you use a drug--

Sundance / meowie - I feel the same way about meds and supplements. There is no quick fix.  I had a doctor promise me that zopiclone was non addictive. She said it was very mild, and that she even prescribed it for 'her' old ladies at 7.5mg per night. Just one tablet made me really ill.

I know!! My parents are soon 75 and their doc prescribed oxazepam and zolpidem and said. " You wont get addicted you are old"...I get so angry that I called him and told him what I felt about that and ask if he was a joker? I reported him and he got a warning. Old people should not have this drugs at all  :tickedoff:

My opinion (after twenty years of drug induced insomnia) is that anything that helps you sleep has the opportunity to damage. I have given up trying things although when I am really bad I take paracetamol and that helps me. Occasionally I will have some chamomile but I dont even want that as it affects GABA.

Anything that helps nausea is a BIG no-no too. They work on dopamine.

I absolutely hate how I feel after taking nytol (antihistamine). I get all edgy and sick and groggy.

I think the only way we can do this is without anything really.

Sundanceshamon, I have just got back from Goa. We were in Patnem  ;D

[89...]

My opinion (after twenty years of drug induced insomnia) is that anything that helps you sleep has the opportunity to damage. I have given up trying things although when I am really bad I take paracetamol and that helps me. Occasionally I will have some chamomile but I dont even want that as it affects GABA.

I absolutely hate how I feel after taking nytol (antihistamine). I get all edgy and sick and groggy.

Oh so nice, did U like Goa? A how about stomach problems? My fear! We are going to Candolim.

Yes! Dopamine is incl in many antihistamine for nausea.

I read about all medicines. I am afraid of drinking tea from herbs because many effect GABA and I don't wont that. That incl my favorite bean COFFEE  :-[.

I Feel better today from my C/T from antihistamine but damn, they are no soft drugs. They are very strong amd effect our CNS a lot. The w/d is not nice but manageable. Yesterday was kind of benzo/opiate w/d- ish sxs! My nose is running, tears, itchy skin, nausea, shiver, sweaty, rapid heart beat. All is a rebound from anticohlinergic effects...Safe pills...No pills are safe. And we are people stuck i billion $$$ industry Medicine. Who can we trust? NOBODY! They just wanna make us addicted to their meds  :tickedoff:

Oh so nice, did U like Goa? A how about stomach problems? My fear! We are going to Candolim.

I read about all medicines. I am afraid of drinking tea from herbs because many effect GABA and I don't wont that. That incl my favorite bean COFFEE  :-[.

I Feel better today from my C/T from antihistamine but damn, they are no soft drugs. They are very strong amd effect our CNS a lot. The w/d is not nice but manageable. Yesterday was kind of benzo/opiate w/d- ish sxs! My nose is running, tears, itchy skin, nausea, shiver, sweaty, rapid heart beat. All is a rebound from anticohlinergic effects...Safe pills...No pills are safe. And we are people stuck i billion $$$ industry Medicine. Who can we trust? NOBODY! They just wanna make us addicted to their meds  :tickedoff:

I'm the same, Rubiks, the grogginess from antihistamines gives me anxiety because it clogs up my brain, and makes me feel nauseous.

I wish there was an 'Angry' topic where I could let off steam about what these pills did to me. And how insulting is to be told by the prescriber that it isn't withdrawal, it's 'my' anxiety. Well, the pills are out of my system now, and guess what? NO anxiety. I stay away from all of it now. 

Hope you feel better soon Rubiks, meowie, Sundance ( and everybody else on BB).

[89...]

I'm the same, Rubiks, the grogginess from antihistamines gives me anxiety because it clogs up my brain, and makes me feel nauseous.

I wish there was an 'Angry' topic where I could let off steam about what these pills did to me. And how insulting is to be told by the prescriber that it isn't withdrawal, it's 'my' anxiety. Well, the pills are out of my system now, and guess what? NO anxiety. I stay away from all of it now. 

[/quote

Let us start a thred I am so angry thread! I need one too!!!

[89...]

I started one!  Let it out!!!

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=173628.0

[89...]

Is it true that Seroquel in small doses acts as an antihistamine and not as an antipsychotic? Thank you. Cross

It is a antipsychotic drug but works as a antihistamine on lower doses. I had them for insomnia 50 mg. They made me fat and a zombie. I couldn't think. If someone have psychosis the dose is up to 600 mg and more. But still it is a neuroleptic and a antipsychotic drug and even for schizofrenia

I am in month 30 off Xanax.  My only lingering issues are fatigue and insomnia.  I did try antihistimes and very soon they stopped working and dried my eyes out something fierce.  You are all so right.  There is no pill that is of any long-term help, and all lead to problems in their own way.  I will encourage you who need it.  At least for me, my sleep has gotten better. Used to be most nights lucky if 2 hours or so.  Now I am getting mostly at least 4 or 5.  Sometimes 6 or 7.  Still not great but better.  I know I could go backwards, but this is encouraging!  Hang in there all and please try not to take anything.  Our bodies need to recover naturally.

Oooh no sun I'm so sorry to hear this! As if you aren't going through enough already :( I really hope this will get better soon, you were doing so well. Stupid "medicine " and stupid doctors who think all medicine work the same on all people!

Take care and hugs from holland

:smitten: wen

[89...]

I am in month 30 off Xanax.  My only lingering issues are fatigue and insomnia.  I did try antihistimes and very soon they stopped working and dried my eyes out something fierce.  You are all so right.  There is no pill that is of any long-term help, and all lead to problems in their own way.  I will encourage you who need it.  At least for me, my sleep has gotten better. Used to be most nights lucky if 2 hours or so.  Now I am getting mostly at least 4 or 5.  Sometimes 6 or 7.  Still not great but better.  I know I could go backwards, but this is encouraging!  Hang in there all and please try not to take anything.  Our bodies need to recover naturally.

Thank you so much for your support.

I don't have to go to medschool to understand things. Or...medschool is a joke. Doc's find their licence in a box of cornflakes or buy it on E bay  ;)

Happt to hear you are benzo free..

[89...]

Oooh no sun I'm so sorry to hear this! As if you aren't going through enough already :( I really hope this will get better soon, you were doing so well. Stupid "medicine " and stupid doctors who think all medicine work the same on all people!

Take care and hugs from holland

Thank you my dutch BB 😊.

Well I hang in there. How are you doing?

I have no sxs from Valium though. Only the antihistamine and the itch is killing me...PM me and tell me how you doing :smitten:

[89...]

And then the w/d from hell broke loose.

To stop with antihistamines with anticholinergic activity hit over to cholinergic rebound. It is terrible !!! Feels like I have a strong opiate withdrawal with elements of benzo withdrawal. Heavily anxiety, vomiting, upset stomach, body pain from hell, nausea, severe headache red flush all over my body. Itchy skin, needles and pins, sneezing, and so depressed!

It feels like when I did a C/T w/d from codieine after my accident.

I called the emergency room and they deny that it can be so until I mentioned anticholinergic syndrome or cholinergic syndrome due to abrupt withdrawal. Now I will go to the emergency room. I will be sent home with the diagnosis anxiety.AGAIN

I have printed out lots of articles on this phenomenon One should not w/d directly with either antihistamines or anticholinergic drugs. 4 doctors I have talked to, and 5 people at the pharmacy. All deny that it would be withdrawn. Nobody knows anything. I intend to sue them. I had enough!!!!!

I  am scared  :'( :'(

You're definitely on one he'll of a bumpy road with all that "medicine ". How are you today; did you get some sleep after yesterday's hell?  I hope it'll ease up a bit very soon. You are doing great I know you are going to get trough this. It's a shame doctors are so much I  denial about what all this kind of medicine can cause. My doc laughed in my face when I tried to explain about what benzo do to gaba etc, I felt like a moron. A sleep professor later acknowledged it and said it was ridiculous that my doc and many others are in denial because it is common knowledge!

I'll pm you! It's some positive since I'm having a sleep window :thumbsup:

[89...]

And the story got an end. My w/d from antihistsmine with this anticohlinergic effect to had put me in a syndrome called cohlinergic crises/syndrome a severe rebound. Because I C/T of the medicine ( in order from 4 docs) the acetylcolin receptors went super sensitive and start to produce way to much from the receptor.

I had all sxs and got fever too at the end. I become confused and I couldn't think. I had the worst anxiety I ever had. And my heart was almost jumping out off my chest. My skin become really red and my face too.

At the ER they first said I had a infection in my blood and was going to give me antibiotics. My husband went so crazy that he said I need to talk to a doc with f**king common sense here. And put all the paper I had printed out from the web in the hands of the doc  He was very arrogant and said I know this I am a doctor. The doc was still in denial. I was so scared. And my husband was walking out from the room and stopped another doc.

It took 5 min then it was a critical situation and a lot of nurses and doc's helped me. I got Atropine injection to block the over sensitive receptor it took about 30-50 min and then the sxs almost was gone. I am at the hospital now on a ward..I had to be checked thru the night.

I said to the doc's last night that I could had died from this.

That I am going to report this to every instance I can so no one else will end up like me. I feel like crap today but I have slept 14 hours non stop. I don't even remember when nurses has checked me out this night.

So a antihistamine with these anticohlinergic effect added to them are highly dangerous drugs!!!

And NOBODY trusted me. First it was panic attacks, sure I had that but because of the syndrome. Then it was my allergy coming back. I don't have any allergy I got the meds for insomnia!! And in the end a infection in my blood. This one is dangerous too. The doc said the infection causing my brain all these sxs.

But now I know and they know. But did they said you are right?

Not a chance. I am going home in the afternoon and is set back on phenergan with beta blockers if my pulse go crazy again. I need to taper them off in at least 2-4 months.

I could had died because doc's don't listen. The knowledge are non.. They think they are God savings peoples life but in the end they can't think outside off the box.

Lucky I am nurse and know a lot and what to search for.

I am not ready for going six feet under.

I feel like my brain is so tired and in a fog today.

Little dizzy and sweaty. I guess a lot of adrenaline is pumping out in a body full of stress

But here I am. And my benzo w/d? Don't feel a thing.

The end

Im afraid all drugs have the ability to do people like us GREAT harm. And supplements too. My worst reaction was to fish and walnut oil. FAr far worse than any drug reaction for me. Nearly damn killed me.

I'm sorry you are suffering but at least now you know to stay away from everything.

Roemer I am so pleased you are improving. I have followed your progress and was worried you would never sleep!

[89...]

Im afraid all drugs have the ability to do people like us GREAT harm. And supplements too. My worst reaction was to fish and walnut oil. FAr far worse than any drug reaction for me. Nearly damn killed me.

I'm sorry you are suffering but at least now you know to stay away from everything.

Roemer I am so pleased you are improving. I have followed your progress and was worried you would never sleep!

I am afraid of all drugs now. I don't trust any doc's at all. It is better to read what people says about medicines. But I thought the younger doc's would be updated but no they are not. Their mentors are older doc's and they listen to them.I think a paradigm is necessary about medicines and doc's attitude to them. The company's that sell medicines to hospital and doctors practice just want to sell drugs. Many don't have a clue about how the human body works. And doc's makes a lot of money to sell these drugs. They don't care about us. They only wants to get easy money.

We are a piece in a puzzle worth billion of dollars. And if the pieces don't fit in the puzzle just adjust it a little and it may fit.

Maybe some parts is harder but lets make it fit with using a hammer and a saw...

I am so sick of always be on my full attention and always need to check everything. What about the persons that just don't know about things ( I am nurse so I know a lot and now how to get information or stand up for myself). I feel for them. Today when I come home from the hospital I will write an article and send to a newspaper. I have done it many times. It is important to get things like this out in the open.

Things is not going to change if we don't complaine!

Was it the walnut which gave u the allergic reaction?

Do you have to have an Epi pen now?

• 1 year later...
I had one hell of a withdrawn from CTing Remeron. Low dose Remeron/mirtazapine is pretty much an antihistamine. Adrenaline surges, tachycardia, hypertensive crisis, panic, terror, dysautonomia, parasthesia, insomnia. It’s the reason I went on K and am in this mess. Be careful everyone with anything that affects histamine. When histamine rebounds it is a stimulating hormone- as is acetocholine.