People you Like Distraction thread

[wa...]

The art of life is the art of avoiding pain; and he is the best pilot, who steers clearest of the rocks and shoals with which it is beset. Thomas Jefferson

I wish someone had helped me "steer" instead of taking Lunesta and before that -- I wish someone had helped me avoid all that other brain damaging crap before the Lunesta, too.  Not eloquent but that pretty much sums up how I view my life today.

My fave Jefferson btw:

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p497/wendy236/Jefferson_zpstem6i197.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [wa...]

• [Yo...]

• [Be...]

• [be...]

Top Posters In This Topic

William Styron - His memoir "Darkness Visible" clearly warned about the long-term use of ativan. It is a book that was released in 1990, and not being familiar with Styron, I never read it. If I'd read that book before, I'd never go near a benzodiazepine.

Yes Becks -- I chose that pic/painting because it had the comet in it.  from Shmoop:

"I came in with Halley's Comet in 1835," Twain said in 1909. "It is coming again next year, and I expect to go out with it. It will be the greatest disappointment of my life if I don't go out with Halley's Comet. The Almighty has said, no doubt: 'Now here are these two unaccountable freaks; they came in together, they must go out together.'"25

On 9 April 1910, Halley's Comet made its closest approach to Earth. And the very next day, Mark Twain died of heart failure at the age of 74. He had outlived his wife, all of his siblings, and all but one of his children. "The people of Redding, Bethel, and Danbury listened when they were told that the doctors said Mark Twain was dying of angina pectoris," his obituary read. "But they say among themselves that he died of a broken heart." For all the difficulties in his life, however, Twain steadfastly refused to take himself too seriously, or to wallow in self-pity. And he always held on to that American ideal, the one that says you should be yourself and nobody else. "I have achieved my seventy years in the usual way: by sticking strictly to a scheme of life which would kill anybody else," he had told the crowd that gathered to celebrate his 70th birthday. "It sounds like an exaggeration, but that is really the common rule for attaining to old age. ... I will offer here, as a sound maxim, this: That we can't reach old age by another man's road."

Someone, who shall remain unnamed, reminded me of how I like Frederick Douglass  -

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p497/wendy236/frederick_douglass_portrait1_zpso50kpmtv.jpg

According to his family, Douglass has done a great job at:

“Enduring the inhumanity of slavery after being born heir to anguish and exploitation but still managing to become a force for solace and liberty when America needed it most.”

“Teaching himself to read and write and becoming one of the country’s most eloquent spokespersons.”

“Composing the Narrative of his life and helping to expose slavery for the crime against humankind that it is.”

“Risking life and limb by escaping the abhorrent institution”

“Arguing against unfair U.S. immigration restrictions.”

If Douglass were still alive, he’d celebrate his 200th birthday next year.

The family’s statement said they were involved in several initiatives that highlight their ancestor’s legacy.

Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the US.  His tombstone reads:  I killed the bank.  He got rid of the private banksters not once, but, twice, in his presidency.  Quite a feat.  It just didn't last. 

• 4 weeks later...

CARL SAGAN

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/gerguter/BigSagan.jpg

"We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. We give little thought to the machinery that generates the sunlight that makes life possible, to the gravity that glues us to an Earth that would otherwise send us spinning off into space, or to the atoms of which we are made and on whose stability we fundamentally depend.

Few of us spend much time wondering why nature is the way it is; where the cosmos came from, or whether it was always here; if time will one day flow backward and effects precede causes; or whether there are ultimate limits to what humans can know. What is the smallest piece of matter. Why do we remember the past and not the future. And why there is a universe."

Carl Sagan

THE PALE BLUE DOT~ CARL SAGAN

?u=https%3A%2F%2Finayatscorner.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F05%2Fcs_pale_blue_dot.jpg&f=1

Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot~

Pale Blue Dot is a photograph of planet Earth taken on February 14, 1990, by the Voyager 1 space probe from a record distance of about 6 billion kilometers (3.7 billion miles, 40.5 AU), as part of the Family Portrait series of images of the Solar System.

In the photograph, Earth's apparent size is less than a pixel; the planet appears as a tiny dot against the vastness of space, among bands of sunlight scattered by the camera's optics.[1]

Voyager 1, which had completed its primary mission and was leaving the Solar System, was commanded by NASA to turn its camera around and take one last photograph of Earth across a great expanse of space, at the request of astronomer and author Carl Sagan.

• 3 weeks later...

More arteests and the FIRST "Lord of the Dance", btw. 

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p497/wendy236/Nureyev_zpsjelbze6b.jpg

Named Lord of the Dance, Rudolf Nureyev is regarded as one of ballet's most gifted male dancers.

In addition to his technical prowess, Rudolf Nureyev was an accomplished choreographer. He produced his own interpretations of numerous classical works, including Swan Lake, Giselle, and La Bayadère.

Rudolf Nureyev had his early career with the Mariinsky Ballet in St. Petersburg. He defected from the Soviet Union to the West in 1961, despite KGB efforts to stop him. This was the first defection of a Soviet artist during the Cold War and it created an international sensation.  WIKI

• 5 months later...

Disney a genius and pretty good guy except for 1941.

Did I post already?  Sorry if I did (not really, though)

http://i44.tinypic.com/154zjn7.jpg

The animators' strike? Walt had a strong work ethic and believed in rewarding those who contributed the most. Most companies call that "incentives".  ::)

Yep, good guy with ye ole healthy American work ethic: "I don't care if you keep your god-damn nose glued to the board all day, or how much work you turn out..."

OK - I met this guy running the halls at NBC 30 + years ago.  How about making this the "Famous People We've Met" thread..........

http://i39.tinypic.com/xdfhn5.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/28isvls.jpg

Here's the only famous person I've ever met. He was about 21-22 years old and dating Tabitha, who he married shortly after I met him.

I wish I could have snagged Stephen King.  I definitely admire him.  I especially used to like listening to him narrate his own audio books.  Lucky Tabitha.  I met Alice Cooper once on a golf course.  He was very kind, but kind of spooky.  Was wearing flashy clothes on the golf course.  It was during the late 70's when he was in town for the Welcome to My Nightmare tour.  I was embarassed because he asked if we went to the concert the night before and we said, "no."  I'd never go see him in concert.  He was too weird for me, but I liked alot of his songs.