Lyrica microtaper

[Ca...]

Hello All,

My wife's doc is wanting her to tackle weaning off of Lyrica first. I see that lyrica is water soluble and could be a good candidate for a daily microtaper. Has anyone used this method to get off lyrica? What kind of daily drop did you do? Did you notice any symptoms? Etc... Currently she is 50mg twice a day.

Thanks!

-DH

Microtapering via liquid titration can be a bit tricky for any medication.

You have to figure out which solution to use (water, milk, something clinically recommended, etc.), calculating the correct milligrams per milliliter (mg/mL), whether or not you want to dissolve in bulk and store in the refrigerator, etc.

This is why it's sometimes good to find a compounding pharmacy. If there's one in your area, first go talk to the pharmacist. They may suggest something easy and very effective.

Whatever you do, talk to a licensed professional, first. Reconstituting medication requires correct amounts of liquid. There may still be sediment in proper levels, requiring other things to be done.

It may be good to start with a milligram scale, then work your way into liquid titration. The problem is getting accurate doses each time.

• 2 years later...

I know that this is an old topic, but I was wondering, especially with the year and a half passage of time, if anyone else has attempted micro-tapering using water or another solvent to DLMT Lyrica?

Do you know if using just water brings the mixture into a solution or just a suspension?  Is it possible to use alcohol (vodka) to bring the mixture into a solution?

Any help appreciated, as I only have 150mg capsules to work with.

Thanks

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I know that this is an old topic, but I was wondering, especially with the year and a half passage of time, if anyone else has attempted micro-tapering using water or another solvent to DLMT Lyrica?

Do you know if using just water brings the mixture into a solution or just a suspension?  Is it possible to use alcohol (vodka) to bring the mixture into a solution?

Any help appreciated, as I only have 150mg capsules to work with.

Thanks

Al

Certain solvents/diluents (ie. water, milk, etc.) have to be used, depending on the drug. Due to drug abuse, many formulations are now designed to be rendered (almost) completely ineffective with compounding attempts. Even if you can't mix the drug into anything other than suspended form, as long as its refrigerated and shaken uniformly before drawing up, it should be pretty accurate. Assuming you add enough diluent.

Thanks faultandfracture for the reply.  I really appreciate it!

I think I will try a DLMT using a quantity of water, realizing that it will be a suspension and the need to mix well just before drawing your dose from it.

Again, thank you!

You may be able to get the information from a pharmacist or - be extremely careful - online...!

People tapering ADs use milk, which binds the drug better.

Try and use distilled water (if that's what you settle on) or sterile water with as few impurities as possible.

I think I will try a DLMT using a quantity of water, realizing that it will be a suspension and the need to mix well just before drawing your dose from it.

Again, thank you!

Then since we know 1) that water is a poor suspension agent because of its very low viscosity, and we know 2) there are proven, readily available pharma suspensions agents, like OraPlus/Ora/Sweet, why wouldn't you choose a proven suspension agent?

Al,

I am curious, did you get on Lyrica to try to lessen or ease your valium taper?  Or were you on it already?  Are you finding it hard to get off of?

Builder, is the Ora/sweet/plus  what you were telling me could be ok to use with klonopin?  Thank you both.

Al,

I am curious, did you get on Lyrica to try to lessen or ease your valium taper?  Or were you on it already?  Are you finding it hard to get off of?

Builder, is the Ora/sweet/plus  what you were telling me could be ok to use with klonopin?  Thank you both.

Yes, its just viscous ("syruppy")  liquid used to suspend any dry med.  Many compounding pharmacies use it to make Rx suspensions.  It's available at many pharmacies, and on Amazon.  And it can be diluted up to 50% with water.

I actually bought a bottle at one time and was going to use it, but my doc said he would just give me a scrip for the Rx diazepam solution.

Again, thank you!

Then since we know 1) that water is a poor suspension agent because of its very low viscosity, and we know 2) there are proven, readily available pharma suspensions agents, like OraPlus/Ora/Sweet, why wouldn't you choose a proven suspension agent?

Because I rely on you to constantly have my back on matters such as this.  Now I know and will use the Ora product.  Thank you once again, builder.  You rule.  :thumbsup:

Al,

Barbara, I was already on it.  I haven't started the taper yet.  I need to buy some Ora Plus/Sweet before I begin.

It can't be as bad as those benzos.

I hope.

Hope so, Al.

I kind of hope nothing could be as bad as benzos...  altho I do blame mirtazapine for throwing me into CT withdrawal.  Whether it was mirtaz withdrawal (after 6 weeks, low dose) or somehow started benzo withdrawal, tho, I guess I never will know.

Guess we have all learned to beware of these various brain meds...  too bad didn't know 30 years ago, tho..

Hope so, Al.

I kind of hope nothing could be as bad as benzos...  altho I do blame mirtazapine for throwing me into CT withdrawal.  Whether it was mirtaz withdrawal (after 6 weeks, low dose) or somehow started benzo withdrawal, tho, I guess I never will know.

Guess we have all learned to beware of these various brain meds...  too bad didn't know 30 years ago, tho..

For as long as I have been reading this board, Barbara, the one thing that I always hear and sticks with me is to "Start low and go slow".  It is ingrained in me.

I intend to do the same with the Lyrics when I begin, hopefully with good results.

And, I hear you on the "too bad didn't know 30 years ago, tho..".