NYTimes, Dec./16: 1 in 6 American Adults Say They Have Taken Psychiatric Drugs

[La...]

"One in 6 American Adults Say They Have Taken Psychiatric Drugs, Report Says"

"The most commonly used type of drug was an antidepressant like Zoloft and Celexa, followed by an anti-anxiety or sleeping pill like Xanax and Ambien. All of these drugs can have withdrawal effects, including panic attacks and sleep problems, for many people on them long term. The prescribing of most anti-anxiety pills is strongly regulated in this and other countries because the drugs can be habit forming."

Can I ask the American readers to weigh in, please, on what is meant by "strongly regulated"? It doesn't seem that length of prescription is regulated. Something else, then?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/health/one-in-6-american-adults-say-they-have-taken-psychiatric-drugs-report-says.html?rref=collection%2Fbyline%2Fbenedict-carey&action=click&contentCollection=undefined&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=collection

By the way, author of this piece -- Benedict Carey -- expressed some interest in the recent British Medical Association action a couple of months ago. I found this particular article when I was checking to see whether he had written on that topic. Nothing yet, as far as I can see.

Interesting.  I had forgotten that he was supposed to write about the UK campaign.  He did say he was going to write about anti-depressants but I was hoping it would be more than this.  Still, any publicity is better than one.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Well, I would hope that he didn't travel all the way to the UK only to write an article about a study that recently came out here in North America. It doesn't make sense. Perhaps he's working away on another piece.