Most psychiatric drug use long-term despite lack of safety

[MT...]

I thought this was a good article on the subject. If you're not a member of Medscape, it's free to join and you don't get spammed:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/873796?src=wnl_mdplsnews_161230_mscpedit_wir&uac=100714EJ&impID=1265110&faf=1

"Approximately 1 in 6 adults in the United States report use of a psychiatric drug. Rates are significantly higher in adults older than 60 years, and long-term use is reported in the majority of cases – despite a lack of evidence of long-term safety in many instances, new research shows.

"The biggest surprise was the large extent of the long-term use ― 84.3% of all adults taking psychiatric drugs,"

It goes on to even say that withdrawal needs to be addressed. It's a start.

This final paragraph is unbelievable to me in light of ALL of the research that I keep coming across on PubMed:

"Our findings also highlight the need for renewed efforts to monitor the long-term prescribing of sedative-hypnotics to vulnerable patients — especially older adults. Part of these efforts could include disseminating information with guidance on safe prescribing practices for these medications through continuing education credits, classes or seminars, and information packets, or by reminders or alerts in electronic medical records warning about prescribing to particularly vulnerable groups."

Every single study has been saying this, and the information has been out there, and WHY -- for goodness sake -- can't anyone take ACTION already? They keep writing and talking about controlling benzo and sedative meds for elderly people, but they don't follow up with hard-hitting plans. Why aren't they disciplining doctors and pharmacists who allow these prescriptions to go on and on, despite all of the evidence that has been out there since the 60s or 70s? We KNOW how dangerous these medications are to vulnerable seniors. They fall and break hips and die. It's just plain wrong.

It's certainly a good thing to see withdrawal acknowledged in print, but they really need to speed things up when it comes to asking hard questions, like "Why are we prescribing so many psychiatric drugs instead of offering non-drug alternatives?"

ARGH.

Thanks so much for posting this one, MTfan!

Yep Lapis, it's puzzling. All of the data out there not changing practice. I have to wonder how much is the consumer mentality. They want to make people happy and most people want a drug, a quick fix. Heck, I was one of them. When I talk to people about considering not taking a drug, or tapering off one, they most often freak out and resist. It's a very scary prospect. For most of my adult life I felt the same-better living through chemistry. I was so wrong.

I admire how you stay on top of all of the research. You're pretty darn amazing. Have a great New Year full of healing.

I know the causes of this ongoing issue are multi-factorial, so it's complex. I don't doubt that there are people asking for these drugs, but it's also the fault of the doctors who don't provide appropriate care or education.

Anyway, I wish you well too, MTfan! Happy New Year to you!

I can see antidepressants as the next big issue facing society both in the US and in the UK and Europe. People mistakenly believe themselves in relapse when they stop these drugs often abruptly and the medical profession is equally in denial about SSRI withdrawal and the dangerous side effects like suicidal ideation in all age groups. The Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry place the increase in antidepressant prescription numbers in the UK at 500% since 1992. They haven't even addressed the benzodiazepine problem yet - estimated 1.9 million long term users of benzos UK wide. People just don't know what they are getting into when they visit their GP for stress or social anxiety and leave with a prescription for antidepressants and often a Z-drug for sleep. SSRIs are even prescribed for the menopause and other off-label uses.

My heart often sinks when I hear of yet another celeb endorsing SSRIs, people usually like to follow their lead. Of course nobody really mentions much about the down sides and the ever increasing numbers taking these psychotropics long term and the concurrent rise in disability numbers (for anxiety/depression) despite the use of drugs. My uncle, a man in his 70s, was recently told by his GP after a bout of depression that he has a deficiency in serotonin and needs to take an antidepressant for life. It breaks my heart that I cannot persuade him that this is just not true - his doctor knows best. It really needs to be spelled out to people at the time of their first consultation what these drugs actually do and what the dangers of taking them are, withdrawal included. I must get off my soapbox now.   

I know the causes of this ongoing issue are multi-factorial, so it's complex. I don't doubt that there are people asking for these drugs, but it's also the fault of the doctors who don't provide appropriate care or education.

Agreed. Physician education absolutely needs to be addressed.