MIA: "Once Upon A Time In Withdrawal" - My story.

[do...]

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/12/once-upon-time-withdrawal/

Hi Buddies,

Here is my story from MIA. Benzos are my focal point and I tried to speak to the horrors these drugs cause. I wrote things that I've not told anyone outside of doctors. It's hard for me to read, actually. But! It's all for the good of our cause: to stop the prescription of benzos and save lives.

Hope you "enjoy"  :thumbsup:

I read this this morning. My heart breaks for you. Most of us started this medication at a young age, but 15. Wow. And then everything else you went through... you're a warrior. Good job on finding your way out.

Thanks for taking a chance and writing this. The impact these testimonials have is huge. Not the least of which is because people like me can forward them to a relative and as they read it they'll see in someone else's words all the symptoms I've been describing to them for years. In this case the spine pain. I've been trying to explain that to people for years and having another person independently state that it's real is a really big deal.

[9a...]

Hi Buddies,

Here is my story from MIA. Benzos are my focal point and I tried to speak to the horrors these drugs cause. I wrote things that I've not told anyone outside of doctors. It's hard for me to read, actually. But! It's all for the good of our cause: to stop the prescription of benzos and save lives.

I am absolutely in awe of what you survived and how beautifully you described it - so much of it is painfully familiar, and will be so to many other BBs.

Thanks for having the courage to put your story out in the public eye where others may benefit from it.

I'm so sorry for what they did to you.  You are a strong and brave man to have not only told your heartbreaking story while still in the midst of this nightmare, but to have found your way out of such a mess.  You have a long, healthy and successful life ahead of you.  :thumbsup:

If we don't tell what has happened to us, then there is no problem and psychiatry continues on as it has and victims remain in the dark.  So, thank you for finding the courage to share your story, especially while still in it.  It makes a difference.  I've also been saying since the start, psychiatrists need to listen to their patients and do their own research/reading or just stop it.  That would be humane.

Thank you Benzohno, LeslieAsh and Stephan.

I truly appreciate your kind words. We're a tough bunch of people  :thumbsup: No doubt about that.

We'll get through it too. That's what we're here for: to show others the light through the darkness of benzo WD.

Amazing story of resilience, donnieogik!!! Your brilliance shines through. I was blown away by what's happened to you with the cascade of events, all because of the benzo. No one questioned it until finally someone did way down the line. Your story will help shine the light for others to see that these pills cause far more harm and invariably lead to more pill-taking because of the offshoot problems they cause.

I'm so happy that, slowly but surely, you're returning to health again and well-being.

There were a couple of time I was prescribed an AD because of the tremendous anxiety I had due to benzos. No one questioned the benzos. But I'm glad I didn't do it. I was very tempted, though, because I was afraid that I'd always suffer from anxiety. Now that it's going down, though, I realize it was due to benzos all along.

You are certainly helping others. And you wrote your story beautifully!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I truly appreciate your kind words. We're a tough bunch of people  :thumbsup: No doubt about that.

We'll get through it too. That's what we're here for: to show others the light through the darkness of benzo WD.

Indeed. You tapered quicker than I did at roughly the same time and off a higher dose and you're healing. I had to reinstate and go through a slow microtaper. Did you work during your taper? The last one, I mean.

Indeed. You tapered quicker than I did at roughly the same time and off a higher dose and you're healing. I had to reinstate and go through a slow microtaper. Did you work during your taper? The last one, I mean.

Oh God no! I was bed-ridden for 12 months in acute hell. I thought I was going slow, but I only found Benzo Buddies late in my taper, so I found out I should have tapered over 16 months.

I tried working at 10 months off and failed. Then I tried again at one year and I'm holding steady at 12 hours a week. It's hard, but it's getting better.

I'm so sorry for what they did to you.  You are a strong and brave man to have not only told your heartbreaking story while still in the midst of this nightmare, but to have found your way out of such a mess.  You have a long, healthy and successful life ahead of you.  :thumbsup:

If we don't tell what has happened to us, then there is no problem and psychiatry continues on as it has and victims remain in the dark.  So, thank you for finding the courage to share your story, especially while still in it.  It makes a difference.  I've also been saying since the start, psychiatrists need to listen to their patients and do their own research/reading or just stop it.  That would be humane.

Exactly! We go from having our voice ripped away to not only regaining our voice but also lending it to others during hard times.

:mybuddy:

I am at a loss for words.  I don't even know how to explain how much you helped me by sharing your story.  I put down my phone after reading and cried.  I am so glad you are still here.  You are an amazing individual.

I am at a loss for words.  I don't even know how to explain how much you helped me by sharing your story.  I put down my phone after reading and cried.  I am so glad you are still here.  You are an amazing individual.

I'm glad I stuck around too  :)

Thank you for the kind words. I'm honoured to help, really. Just to have the slightest bit of positive impact on someone suffering from this nightmare is THE reason I stuck around.

You will get through this.

Hi Buddies,

I read this about five minutes ago on Mad in America :)  Good job!  *high five*

Excellent work, donnieogik! Congratulations on putting down a heart-wrenching story in such a readable and powerful way! You've undoubtedly touched many people with that piece.

Congratulations, too, on coming through what can only be considered a nightmare with a very intact intellect and an obvious resilience. You're one tough guy! Your soul has taken a beating, but it has kept on ticking.

I'll be sharing your story with others. Thanks again for sharing it with us all.

Excellent work, donnieogik! Congratulations on putting down a heart-wrenching story in such a readable and powerful way! You've undoubtedly touched many people with that piece.

Congratulations, too, on coming through what can only be considered a nightmare with a very intact intellect and an obvious resilience. You're one tough guy! Your soul has taken a beating, but it has kept on ticking.

I'll be sharing your story with others. Thanks again for sharing it with us all.

Thank you Lapis! That means the world to me. Share it and help others. That's the idea. Thanks for all the work you do in keeping us Buddies updated with benzos in the news  :thumbsup: